Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
An example of some...uhm, problematic recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,900

An example of some...uhm, problematic recruiting

Oct 18, 2018, 2:05 PM

Was just randomly curious about their future prospects, so I was nosing around on Warchant. And was, well, surprised. I will present to you, for your perusal, Florida State's 2019 commitment list, per Rivals.com:
https://floridastate.rivals.com/commitments/football/2019

Looks good, right...if maybe a notch below FSU's usual standards? #14 overall. A five-star (Akeem Dent), a whole boatload of 4's. Looks nice. On paper.

Just one problem: the class distribution. I see six - repeat 6! - DB's. Another four ends, and a defensive tackle. While this thoroughly addresses whatever needs FSU may have in the foreseeable future regarding both FSU's pass-rush and coverage, there's still the slight issue that FSU has just five players committed at positions other than DL and DB.

They have a quarterback - Sam Howell out of Monroe, NC. Sprightly little 6'1" QB who looks like a whiter version of Deandre Francois. Seems a decent prospect. Throws a nice ball, mobile. He even has a big WR to throw to, king-sized 6'5" Maurice Goolsby, and two OL to protect him, one 4-star and one 3-star...on second thought, considering how well Clemson's OL recruiting is going, maybe I shouldn't comment on that. And there's a linebacker, too.

And that's it. But while FSU has glaring needs everywhere, FSU desperately needs offensive linemen - their OL is, well, an atrocity at the moment - and they're running low on RB's too. Former 5-star Jacques Patrick is gone after this year (how is he already a senior...good God FSU wastes some talent) and rumors are Cam Akers is looking to get out of town too. Akers - a mondo talent - has run for all of 362 yards this year (4.1 yards per rush) behind that aforementioned OL - and oh, yeah, that includes an 85-yard run in the opener against VT. (After that, it's been 87 rushes for all of 277 yards...3.19 yards per rush. If I was a former 5-star RB with offers from everywhere, I'd be looking to skeddaddle outta town too. Yeesh.)

Their top receiver Nyqwan Murrary is another speed guy and he's a junior; look for him to bolt to the NFL too. Maybe one of those DB's can tote the rock.

So believe it or not: bad as FSU is now, they might be even worse next year.

I honestly never thought I'd see FSU here, especially not this soon. They won a national title with Famous Jameis in 2013-2014 and were in the first round of playoffs in 2014...though, it's worth noting, Oregon did beat them by 39 points.

There's still time, I suppose, and Taggart is supposedly a great recruiter...but the 'Noles are just way behind at the moment and they are in serious "talent bleed mode". They need another dozen guys just to plug the holes.

Crazytown.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: An example of some...uhm, problematic recruiting

Oct 18, 2018, 2:22 PM

FSU has done a terrible job recruiting o lineman the last several years. Francois and Blackmon have taken a beating the last two years and Akers is getting hit behind the line of scrimmage every other play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2018, 2:32 PM

Cam Akers is a SOLID talent that will end up in the NFL as soon as possible, I would absolutely love to have him at Clemson.

LOL

Oct 18, 2018, 2:49 PM

"Sprightly little 6'1" QB who looks like a whiter version of Deandre Francois"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Oct 18, 2018, 5:55 PM

They're going to lose Dent too. Either to us or Bama, probably Bama. Will probably lose Hunter and Fuller as well and most of the top guys who were at one point considered FSU leans are looking more elsewhere. With FSU and Auburn both being dumpster fires right now we better find a way to go get Will Putnam.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,900
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic