Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
American Military Cemetery, Cambridge, England
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

American Military Cemetery, Cambridge, England

Aug 6, 2018, 12:20 PM

(This has been one of the most difficult stories for me to write. The emotional experience defies any words I have at my disposal. I hope none of you will ever have memories that flood your mind and bring you to tears)

This cemetery is always a "must visit" when I go to England. It has an unknown magnetism for me as if I am compelled to go there. Here rest nearly four thousand heroes from WW2. Over five thousand names are recorded on the "Wall of the Missing". The beauty and serenity that encompasses this thirty acres is befitting of those who made the supreme sacrifice. The beautiful trees and slightly rolling landscape lend a silent salute to those you rest here. It was a clear day during my visit and off in the distance I could see the spire above the Cathedral at Ely. The spire appears to serve as a sentinel over this sacred place.

Arriving at the Visitors Center, I was surprised to learn that being a WW2 veteran entitled me to VIP treatment. When informed that no more than ten WW2 veterans visit the cemetery each year, I was once again reminded that our numbers are decreasing day by day. Among those of us who still survive, many suffer physical or mental ills, or both. After a tour of the visitor center and an interview by the staff, I informed the staff and my family members I wanted to be alone.

Some of you can never understand the emotions that I experienced and neither can I. To the best of my knowledge, I know of no one who is buried there. Perhaps during my time in service one or more of us may have crossed paths. Looking out at the many crosses and Stars of David, I realized most of them were probably in their early 20's, a life cut short by the horrors of war. I rendered a salute and a prayer for each one. As I stood there, my mind was flooded with memories, some that I was not even aware of and can't even remember now It was if I was seeing fast moving photos of events during the war. How can one stand there and not have their eyes filled with tears. I have talked with other
veterans who told me they have had experienced similar emotions and memories.

Walking down the rows of markers, I read the names and brief information on the marker. It seems to be an automatic response as I say "Thank You". On the marker is the name, rank, military unit, state where they enlisted and date of death. I had gone some distance down a row when I came to a marker for a young man from South Carilina. Lee. E Brown, Sgt., 360 Bomb. Sqd., South Carolina, Jan. 5, 1944. I thought I could walk on by but something compelled me to kneel at his grave and say a prayer.

It was approaching time for us to leave so I walked back on another row, read the inscriptions as I walked along and said a "Thank You" to each one. And then the strangest thing happened as we began to leave. I looked back and my mind said, "why don't you hum Taps". And I did.

I

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: American Military Cemetery, Cambridge, England

Aug 6, 2018, 12:51 PM

Thank you for your service and for honoring the fallen heroes!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2018, 12:56 PM

Wow, Mr. C.

You brought me to tears and gave me goosebumps at the same time. Thank you for taking the time and sharing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2018, 1:03 PM

Thank you for you service. Any former or current military personnel we thank you for the many sacrifices you have made and are making everyday. I have made it clear to our politicians that they could afford to take a pay cut in order to pay our military personnel more $$$$. It’s going to take a lot of pressure from many people to get those greedy self centered government officials to get the message.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2018, 1:03 PM

I wish there were words I could tell you to completely convey the sincere thanks I have for you and every other veteran that has served this great country of ours. I didn't serve in the military at all, and sometimes I feel guilty about that, especially when I hear or read stories like yours. I like to think I'm very patriotic, and the confetti always gets in my eyes when I thank soldiers in person with a handshake and with other methods like this board. Sincerely, THANK YOU Joe21 (and every other person who has worn the uniform) for your service. I greatly appreciate it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2018, 1:11 PM

Sometimes the internet is a wonderful resource. See below:

Last Known Activity
Sergeant Lee E. Brown was born in 1924 in South Carolina. His parents were Lee A. and Georgia B. Brown. The US Censuses 1930 and 1940 show the family residing in Spartanburg County, South Carolina.

Lee enlisted, according to his NARA enlistment record, at Fort Jackson in Columbia, South Carolina on December 10, 1942. The form states he enlisted as a private in the Army Air Corps. He had completed 4 years of high school, and worked in a semi-skilled position within the textile manufacturing industry.

He evidently attended aerial gunnery school, and was assigned to the combat crew of Lt. Burkitt at Molesworth, England in November, 1943. The crew was dispatched on 7 missions, but credited with 5 completed and 2 abortive sorties. On January 5, 1944, the crew was part of a massive bomber raid on Kiel, Germany.

Primary targets were the submarine pens, the ship-building facilities, and workers' housing. As the aircraft took off from bases in England, semi-darkness prevented visual contact on the way to the assembly area. The aircraft of Lt. Burkitt collided with another aircraft, and both crashed into the English countryside. Each carried a crew of 10 men; all personnel were killed.

The body of Brown was recovered and buried in the American Cemetery at Cambridge, England. He lies in Plot B, Row 4, Grave 17.

www.findagrave.com/search
www.ancesry.com/index/search/military
www.303rdbg.com/missionreports/096.pdf
303rd Bomb Group Records (Personnel)
US Census 1930
US Census 1940
NARA Enlistment Records

Comments/Citation
Lee E. Brown was acting as the right waist gunner on B-17G # 42-31441, unnamed and with no nose art, assigned to the 360th Bomb Squadron, on the first scheduled combat mission.

Because the crew were recovered, no Missing Air Crew Report was written; however, mission loading lists identify the crew as:

2 Lt Benajah G. Burkitt p
2 Lt HaroldJ. Kuhn c-p
2 Lt Herbert A. Foote nav
2 Lt Fred J. Reith bomb
SSgt Philip H. Gatewood eng/tt gun
SSgt Alivin D. Cantrell r/o
Sgt Arthur O. Berntzen btg
Sgt William E. Stoffregen lwg
Sgt Lee E. Brown rwg
Sgt Cleve C. Rush tail gun

Note: Mission loading lists state Brown's middle initial was "C." All other sources indicate it was actually "E."

Although enlisted men are identified by name in the crew photo, their position within the photo is not given.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2018, 1:33 PM

ratn65 --- Thanks for that info. Posting that info sheds more light on this young hero who was only 20 years of age at the time of his death.

One other thing I learned on my latest visit to this cemetery. The parents or next of kin have the option of having the body returned to the United States or buried in one of the several American Military Cemeteries abroad. Once that decision has been made to have the body interred in one of the Military Cemeteries, it is forever irrevocable.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Emotional Yes, for me too in 1992 while at cemetery for those killed at D-Day in France

Aug 6, 2018, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Re: American Military Cemetery, Cambridge, England ]

and as i looked over the thousands of white grave markers at that beautifully manicured sanctity for the brave at Normany Beach, each overlooking the sea & landing sites far below the cliffs, with a German Machine Gun Pill Box still intact outside the fence..I got a weird feeling that very few of those Soldiers in that far away cemetary had had a relative or loved one come from America to visit & mourn them personally..and I got that Confetti that David Hood mentions but of a more serious type due to the ramification involving such gruesome & premature death of so many young brave Boys..from here but left over there, so alone.

I will say the older French Citizens in towns around these cemetaries were most grateful vocally and still came out on special occasions to show their respect & thankfulness over a half century later. They Know what happened & how important it was to have the Allies come to their rescue.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2018, 1:27 PM

Mr. Joe, you said that to your knowledge you did not personally know anyone there - I beg to differ, I think you know every one there and the ones listed as missing as well.

Thank you for your service enshrining our freedom.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic