Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
American Military Cemetery, Cambridge, England
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,877

American Military Cemetery, Cambridge, England

Jun 30, 2018, 8:07 PM

I will be in England the last two weeks in July and one of my stops will be the American Military Cemetery at Cambridge. If you have a relative buried there let me know and I'll try to get to his/her grave. There are over 3,800 graves there. Tmail me (or post on this thread) with Name, Branch of Service, and State of family residence when entered service. I have been there several times but don't remember if they will transport me around to the various graves since I will not be seeking a grave of my family member. It's a huge cemetery and I am not able to walk for an extended period of time.

On the Cemetery web site one can access the names of all buried there but there are only about 10 names on each page so it's a long process. There are many listed with the same surname so the above requested info will simplify location of the grave.

The Wall of Remembrance contains over 5,000 names of those missing in action. Most of these were lost at sea. If you have a relative who was missing in action and who's name is listed on the Wall. I would be happy to check the wall.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: American Military Cemetery, Cambridge, England

Jun 30, 2018, 8:35 PM

He is not a relative of mine, but if Billy Fiske is buried there you should pay your respects to him. He was a great American who also became a hero to the people of Great Britain.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2018, 9:18 PM

Fiske is buried in a churchyard cemetery at Boxgrove, Sussex. This is in southern England, a short way east of Portsmouth. Apparently, he was killed in a plane crash nearby at Chichester while flying with the RAF.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2018, 7:20 AM

There is a bit more to his story than that. His plane had been badly damaged in combat, and he should have bailed out. Instead, he tried to save the plane by attempting a landing. He died of injuries two days later.

Fiske was the first American to enlist with the RAF, and he had to claim he was a Canadian to be able to do so. At the time he was 29 years old and a very successful mortgage banker. He was also a two time gold medal winner in the Olympics. I suspect he could have avoided any service, but he chose to go to war.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe, for you to make this offer is very admirable.

Jun 30, 2018, 9:51 PM

Thank you so much for your service to this great nation. By the way, I really enjoy your stories! Keep them coming.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2018, 9:52 PM

Joe you are a very special man to offer this. I love your stories here as my dad spent the war as a gunner in B-24's. Thanks you for your gesture here, your service to our country, and most of all your stories. They are a link for guys like me who no longer have a parent who served available to talk to.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2018, 10:11 AM

When I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall several years ago we would present wreaths on Memorial Day. One of the most solemn and emotional events I have ever attended. Afterward I would just walk the grounds.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,877
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic