Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
American Cemetery Normandy...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 3,095

American Cemetery Normandy...

Jun 6, 2017, 2:28 PM
Normandy +.jpg(268.3 K)
Normandy.jpg(129.4 K)

A fellow Tiger passed these pics along to me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: American Cemetery Normandy...

Jun 6, 2017, 2:35 PM

Been there...and Arizona Memorial...and Arlington. All evoke the same emotions, although, looking down at the beach...and the cliff down the road at Pointe du Hoc, you're really left envisioning simply how massively destructive and costly D-Day was. Very, very powerful, but worth visiting.

A side story of sorts; there was (and I suspect continues to be) an apple orchard about half-way between the Cemetery and Pointe du Hoc that has been around since the 10th century. With friends (who were with the State Dept in France), we visited and the current owner talked of how the German and, after D-Day, allied officers would stay at the farm during the war. For all, it was a bit of a sanctuary from the war's impact. In the many years following the war, officers from both sides would tend to visit and recall their times there, often, with each other. (By the way, excellent calvados!)

Amazing to have something in your family history spanning over 1000 years...and being ground zero for one of the most destructive times in history...yet as an oasis, as well.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2017, 2:39 PM

Nice story. I learned something today.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2017, 3:04 PM

Hallowed ground!

Those were the ones who fought and died for OUR freedom.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2017, 3:49 PM

My mother's older brother was buried there for about 3 years until his body was brought back to the US in 1947. He had been wounded in North Africa and again in Sicily. The rules were that a soldier went home after two different wounds, but my uncle refused and returned to his unit after recovery. He was killed at St Lo on July 12, 1944.I have a picture taken after the war ended of my mother's younger brother at his grave in that cemetery. I never knew my uncle that was killed, but I visit his grave every time I am in the Andrews, SC area.

Jun 6, 2017, 5:02 PM

They all paid the ultimate price and I thank them for my freedom.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1993 visited American Cemetery at Normandy BeCh & teared uP when

Jun 6, 2017, 8:07 PM

I realized none of these Boys got hone to their Families, Friends, Jobs, Hoped for Careers, etc..

And maybe equally as sad is that greatest majority of their Families & Friends probably got the opportunity to go there to say Good-Bye!

And, while walking outside the Cemetery itself..looking down the steep hill towards the beach..I could really understand the slaughter that happened..especially the distances that had to be covered under direct fire.

A side note: to my right, looking down at the beach far away, a huge German Steel Pillbox full of holes from ship artillery was sitting next to me on the right at top of the hill..still as intimidating & dark & deadly looking as when the Allies stormed the beach to save the French & the World from Hilter!

And, the local French town had a museum & a film which showed something the American public never saw..that small German planes flew parellel down the beach with machine guns blazing & mowing down the Yanks like flies. I was horrified & sickened!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2017, 8:16 PM
IMG_7429.JPG(170.6 K)

Saw this cool sand sculpture posted on twitter today.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2017, 8:22 PM

Went there a few years ago and it will take your breath away. Every American should go to see the sacrifice these men made for our freedom. Hard to explain the emotion you would feel being there.

Replies: 8
| visibility 3,095
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic