Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Amazing that the game last night
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Amazing that the game last night

May 6, 2018, 9:53 AM

Went 13 innings. 15 hits compared with 6 usually is a rout. Allowing the closer to throw 80 plus pitches is never a good thing. I wish the Tigers could rid themselves of the ‘home run’ mentality that they have had all year. Getting base hits puts a lot more pressure on the opponents and opens up more opportunities to score. Two or three runs will not win games the rest of the way. Especially with a pitching staff that gets to much work!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Amazing that the game last night

May 6, 2018, 11:08 AM

I totally agree with the comment about the home run mentality! When are they going to learn to just get the bat on the ball with men on base??????

With the team attitude of "wait for a good pitch and then kill it" they will not win the ACC tourney and will not win whatever regional they will be in. All of our supporters that continue to talk about a national seed are not facing reality.

And for those that want to call me a 'coot' - listen up bud! I'm 79, been Clemson since age 5, went to school there and will die a Clemson man.

Take off the orange colored glasses.

The guys need to learn to hit for a HIT - especially with men on base!

May 6, 2018, 11:33 AM

After Monday the rest of the regular season is pretty easy on the road at Pitt being the toughest games .
I can see the Tigers coasting through that but when we start seeing good teams in the Post season.
I’m afraid it’s going to be like last night.

May 6, 2018, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Amazing that the game last night ]

My how quickly we forget.

Just a few short years ago the fans and administration ran Coach Leggett off because his "small ball" approach to the game was just not working any more. Why would you bunt men over and settle for 1 run innings when you could have big, strong players swinging for the fences and putting up crooked numbers? We saw what the coots were doing and wanted a coach to build a team that looked similar.

Now you have a coach taking that approach (which most of the major league teams have also adopted) and you want to go back to the small ball approach we had? With more power numbers and more homers comes more strikeouts and lower batting averages.

You cannot have the "contact hitter approach" and the "long ball approach" at the same time. Not in todays game with the bats and balls being used. In the early 2000's it was possible to do both. This is why games usually ended up looking more like football scores than baseball games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2018, 12:03 PM

Everyone can’t hit HRs , which it looks like the whole team is trying to do.
Even Greene at a buck fifty is swinging for the fences.
Against good pitching that keeps the ball down you’re not hitting many HRS.
It’s not about playing small ball but about putting the ball in play.
We will not beat many good teams living off HRS.

When has Montee promoted a

May 6, 2018, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Amazing that the game last night ]

Hr mentality? I see him bunting guys over and being aggressive on the bases. If anything Montee coaches taking pitches to get walks.

Re: When has Montee promoted a

May 6, 2018, 6:59 PM

You and I aren't watching the same game!

Re: When has Montee promoted a

May 6, 2018, 7:12 PM [ in reply to When has Montee promoted a ]

It amazes me what game people watch when they watch Clemson play baseball. We were a small ball team under Jack. However, we made the change and hired Monte. Does anyone know where Monte came from and who he models his coaching after? Ray Tanner, whose approach to the game is be patient at the plate to draw walks and when your pitch comes swing for the fences. Maybe I’m not as polished on my baseball knowledge but did that approach work for Ray Tanner. Seems he struggled to win regionals and advance. This team very rarely plays small ball and it works. When our pitching is on we can have off nights with the bats. When pitching is off we can homerun our way to victories. This team complements itself well and if we can get hot we can absolutely make a deep run. Monte will keep recruiting his style of players and we will continue to get better but to complain about not hitting singles and bunting more shows how little you know about Monte Lee.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic