Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: The Deep Orange Line
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

New Story: The Deep Orange Line

Mar 25, 2015, 7:01 AM

The Deep Orange Line

The Clemson football program is closing in on a decade since it fielded a dominant offensive line, but a mix of grizzled veterans and precocious youth might just be the building block for a return to form. What do head coach Dabo Swinney and offensive coordinator Jeff Scott say about the group? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: The Deep Orange Line

Mar 25, 2015, 7:37 AM

Hard to beleive it's been 8 years since Barry Richardson played. This season's O Line should be a interesting combination. You have returning starters, redshirts and then the freshmen. The freshmen are already making a mark and ready to go get it. I think that it will be hard to redshirt any of them because of needed depth. Coach Scott and Elliot have both said the offense will run wide open as far as plays per game, so they will need depth. GO TIGERS!!!

not only depth but the talent! It may be hard to keep these

Mar 25, 2015, 9:00 AM

talented OL off the field, I have been waiting on these guys for a long time. They will be difference makers!

Mar 25, 2015, 7:46 AM

I haven't remembered us having a really dominant OL since DF was our coach. Granted the group you mentioned was one of the best we've fielded since DF, but that isn't a huge compliment. The OL has been the weak link. I do think we are at a real turning point with what many would argue is an OL that really is a strength. A force to be reckoned with. Let that be the case, and we will see just how special we are, and it will be scary good, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2015, 3:11 PM

I have to agree with you in we haven't had a DF O line since DF, and I saw them all. But with the talented big bodies we're getting back on our O line, we can run about any type offense behind them. And with the type of QB's we have, its going to be fun watching what Jeff and Tony can come up with. I have a feeling that our offense this season is going to look different than its looked in quite sometime. And our opponents won't be guessing what's next as they have in our recent past. I think we got a sample size of our offense under Tony and Jeff in our bowl game. Oklahoma's defense was on their heals that entire game. Oklahoma prepared for a CM offense, and got blowed up by a S & E offense. Things in Tiger Nation just keep getting better and better with our FB program in Tiger town, Gooooooo Tigers!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2015, 2:40 PM

100% right! This thing is gonna get fun, really soon. I can't wait!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Although not oline in 2006 we had a heck of a TE blocking

Mar 25, 2015, 7:53 AM

I still have to watch the clip sometimes of the final td by JD to win when the #89 Thomas Hunter abused 2 guys leading the way

Still the best block I have ever seen by a Clemson Tiger.***

Mar 25, 2015, 12:29 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Although not oline in 2006 we had a heck of a TE blocking

Mar 25, 2015, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Although not oline in 2006 we had a heck of a TE blocking ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m03xeBRB2k

Re: Although not oline in 2006 we had a heck of a TE blocking

Mar 26, 2015, 4:47 PM

I was at that game and it will forever be one of my favorite memories as a Clemson student.

Snapped my Costas in half celebrating with my roommate after the quick snap long run.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

im not buying it yet

Mar 25, 2015, 7:56 AM

For sure the young group has the talent to be what we want in an OL, and very well might be after a year or two in the program and as we recruit similar talent behind them. But we know who this starting five is, and it is serviceable but not great. The potential greatness is in the backups who won't be seeing the field a ton this season unless some of them pull a y watkins, which is highly unusual for OL.

Great things to come in future seasons but sorry I see an OL on par with last years for THIS season.

couldnt agree more***

Mar 25, 2015, 12:22 PM

Re: couldnt agree more***

Mar 26, 2015, 4:48 PM

shocking chicken boy

null

I am with you

Mar 25, 2015, 4:04 PM [ in reply to im not buying it yet ]

I'm not drinking the Kool aid either.

So far, I think the 2015 OL will take a step back from last year.

Bottom line, the staff hasn't recruited well at OL.....Until now.

Hopefully we sww Jay Guillermo in that mix this Fall...

Mar 25, 2015, 8:26 AM

I was hoping he would be our starting center. Would he qualify for a medical redshirt if he had to take the season off?

We're taking another 3-4 OL this year,

Mar 25, 2015, 8:32 AM

That's how you build good and quality depth. Word is that they could be close to as good as the 4 this year. I'd love that

Ford took 3 or 4 OL every year. We should take at least

Mar 25, 2015, 10:49 AM

2 or 3 every year. We could take 4 every year even at 85 schollies if we didn't throw away 3 to 5 a year taking coaches kids and players that will never contribute on the field. These "5 heart" kids or whatever they are called should be preferred walk-ons and give them the opportunity to earn a scholarship.

null

yep, you have to. OLinemen drop like flies when on campus

Mar 25, 2015, 12:24 PM

some get injured, some just dont pan out, some leave for personal reasons, etc.

OLine is a very difficult position to project guys too. some guys in high school have already reached peak growth by 17 and are just men among boys in HS. some continue to grow. We have to take 3-4 OL per year.

Two of Ford's best OL were converted from defense ...

Mar 25, 2015, 2:48 PM [ in reply to Ford took 3 or 4 OL every year. We should take at least ]

Lee Nanny and John Phillips both began their Clemson careers on the defensive side and were converted into ALL ACC, All America caliber OL.

Lee Nanny came to Clemson as a big old DL ...

Lee Nanney, Offensive Tackle, l981: Nanney was a second-Team UPI All-American in 1981, Clemson's National Championship season ..a co-captain of the 1980 and 1981 teams...a native of Spartanburg, he was a three-year starter for the Tigers...he started 35 straight games between 1979-81 ...honorable mention All-American by AP in 1981 and a four-time State Offensive Lineman-of-the-Week...winner of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy for the ACC and the state in 1980...named the team's most improved player in 1980.

John Phillips, came to Clemson as a LB ...

John Phillips, Offensive Guard, 1986-87: First-team All-American as a junior who was second-team All-American as a senior...made All-ACC team two consecutive years ...captured Jacobs Blocking Trophy for South Carolina two years in a row...had single season record of 103 knockdown blocks as a junior, he concluded his career with 245 knockdown blocks, third in Clemson history...still only Tiger with a pair of 100-knockdown block seasons, he had 100 in 1986 and 103 in 1987...started 32 games and played in 47 for his career...co-captain of Clemson's 1987 team with Michael Dean Perry...graduate assistant coach at Clemson for 1990 and 1991.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I knew John well, great guy. Many kids change position for

Mar 26, 2015, 4:33 PM

many reasons, even college guys switch positions when moving to the NFL. OL is the hardest position to project and so many guys get hurt or don't develop. It's imperative to take at least 3 if not 4 every year.

null

Best part, it's only going to get better..

Mar 25, 2015, 8:35 AM

We have a very solid core of RS SO, RS FR, and true freshman and already have Sean Pollard on board for 2016. Also very high (if not the leaders) for 4* OG John Simpson, 4* OL Parker Boudreaux, 4* OL Clark Yarbrough, 4* OL EJ Price and 3* OL Jack Defoor. Whatever 2 or 3 we names we add with Pollard, with our bevy of talented OL currently on the roster, we will be set on the line for the next 4-5 years.

Future is bright... Great time to be a Tiger!

Side note, hopefully Guillermo comes back healthy as well to solidify the center position.

Mar 25, 2015, 9:05 AM

Count me as one of the skeptics. Relying on true, and for that matter red-shirt, freshmen on the OL is concerning to me. The offensive line position is not like running back or defensive tackle where it is not unusual to throw a freshman in there and watch him thrive.

OL generally need to be cultivated. Ideally, freshman OL redshirt, redshirt freshmen watch from the sidelines and learn, redshirt sophmores are put in for mop up duty and redshirt juniors play. This is not only because of the physical demands and complexities of the position, but also because of the chemistry necessary for a line to be a cohesive unit.

I hope that the new OL are truly special and prove my concerns unfounded.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree completely with you and my comments were more

Mar 25, 2015, 9:25 AM

centered around going forward. The 5 that look to be starters - Battle, Maclain, Norton, Crowder, and Gore are RS JR's or better aside from Crowder. So, for the most part our startes have some experience, but are backed with talanted but untested FR.

I have been on record here a few times saying that OL need a RS year and that it's the hardest position to come in and play right away. However, its great that we have a bevy of young, talented OL on the roster, and seem to be in a great postion to add some more this year. '16-'19 we should be loaded with OL talent.

True to certain extent

Mar 25, 2015, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The Deep Orange Line ]

The fact that 3 of starting 8 tackles in the 4 team championship playoff were true freshmen shows that really good freshmen lineman can be major contributors. Hard to keep great talent off the field regardless of experience level.

OL as a dominant position for Clemson??

Mar 25, 2015, 9:23 AM

Show me.

I'll believe it when I see it.

We've been fooled by false optimism at this position for so long that many of us are just pessimistic and cynical.

"pessimistic and cynical" on tiger board?

Mar 25, 2015, 9:25 AM

I find this very difficult to believe

We haven't had a truly dominant OL since probably 1991.***

Mar 25, 2015, 10:42 AM

null

That's what I was thinking although with an effective QB

Mar 25, 2015, 1:08 PM

our 2006 OL would have been much better too when the defense couldn't gang up on the run. Remember blowing GT out of the water at homecoming that year and then following that up with a real stinker at VT because our QB got that deer in the headlight look!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Glass is half full, or half empty?

Mar 25, 2015, 3:58 PM

This is a wait and see situation for me.
Right now, I see a "descent" starting 5, but outside of that...uhh, not so much.
When we play Louisville, that will tell the tale of where we're at.

O-line, yeah that my biggest concern.

To compare this group to 2006 is pretty bold

Mar 25, 2015, 4:18 PM

They may end up being just as good as the 2006 o line but i don't think we should make that comparison just yet. IMO, i think we are only a year away from having a dominant oline. 2016 will be the year we will have a offensive line that could compare to 2006

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic