Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Alright woodworkers and knowers of all things
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 452

Alright woodworkers and knowers of all things

Jun 25, 2019, 11:52 AM

stain related. Bought a cypress grill table for my BGE, will be exposed to the elements. What say ye on what to stain it with? Should I be looking at deck stains and such or is there a better solution.

Real answers appreciated; jokes about c-men will be laughed at.

TIA

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Alright woodworkers and knowers of all things

Jun 25, 2019, 12:19 PM

Use varnish (not polyurethane). poly doesn't provide the UV protection that varnish does

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-Helmsman-Gloss-Oil-based-Spar-Urethane-Varnish-Actual-Net-Contents-32-fl-oz/999913671

Interdasting. I'm guessing about three coats should

Jun 25, 2019, 12:27 PM

do it? With varnish, do you sand between applications?

Antique White Latex paint.

Jun 25, 2019, 12:23 PM

Thank me later.

Is this a joke...

Jun 25, 2019, 12:29 PM

about c-men?

X100 Natural Seal

Jun 25, 2019, 12:43 PM

But not for at least a year. Cypress has a lot of oils in it so you don’t want to add anything until it starts to dry out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Here I will notify our 3 stain experts

Jun 25, 2019, 12:48 PM

ClemsonTiger1988®

tdrake®

Shorty

Stain it with oil based stain.

Jun 25, 2019, 1:07 PM

Dozens of products are available, all of which are equal in quality. Focus on the color and shade you want. Lately I've been looking for something worthy of a gray stain. Kind of a semisolid type product used back in the 1980s on exterior T11 siding up around lake keowee.

The protection and duration of the finish of your wood is going to be in the clear coat you apply after the stain. I would use a two part clear such as used on expensive marine vessels.

Whatever you use the one part stuff you get at the local hardware store should be off your list. If wood sits in the sun, wind, rain, snow and other harsh elements that finish will last about two years.

Interlux two part stain is reported by reviews to last 5-7. There are probably others as good but I quit reviewing when I ran across the positive reports about Interlux.

It's 80 bucks/qt and I don't think you can buy smaller quantities. Only mix what you need and follow the directions including letting the mixed solutions settle to get rid of the bubbles. They call for 3 to 5 coats. Perhaps this would be a place to use 5. Make sure you do top, bottom, sides and miss nothing.

You can choose your level of sheen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

/\/\/\ This guy stains***

Jun 25, 2019, 1:37 PM

I thought I knew a lot about wood after working in...

Jun 25, 2019, 2:58 PM

building trades for 40 years particularly in carpentry, drywall and painting but it took several months of research before I selected the clear coat for the zebrano wood grain trim on that dammmed old car.

I wouldn't have felt any more ignorant if I'd gone to medical school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mustard.

Jun 25, 2019, 2:21 PM

Everybody knows you can NEVER get rid of a mustard stain.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 452
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic