Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Alright, Brownell vs. Purnell/Shyatt/Barnes in first 3 years
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1,831

Alright, Brownell vs. Purnell/Shyatt/Barnes in first 3 years

Mar 2, 2013, 10:18 PM

since my post about the current records werent good enough...

After 3 seasons

Brownell 51-41 (with 2 games left to play) NCAA 2nd round to his credit

Purnell 45-47 NIT 2nd round to his credit
Shyatt 42-54 NIT final in first year
Barnes 56-43 2 ncaa tourneys

still, the grass aint much greener!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Barnes was much further along at this point but he

Mar 2, 2013, 10:23 PM

was pulled in an amazing group of players to start off with McIntyre and Buckner. There is no future Terrell or Greg on this team. Those guys were amazing players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who did Barnes have when he left?

Mar 3, 2013, 9:56 AM

Same question about Purnell.

BTW, our best team ever--Cliff Ellis's squad--was a once-in-a-tenure collection of talent. Cliff would have a good team about once every eight years. That's about what Barnes and Purnell would have had, too, and what Brownell will have if given the chance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

No it's not, and all have faced the same hurdle as head

Mar 2, 2013, 10:23 PM

basketball coach at Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

and every coach after him will face the same hurdle

Mar 2, 2013, 10:29 PM

CU isn't a basketball school...never will be....tough to get kids to come here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They will face it, but that doesn't mean it can't be

Mar 2, 2013, 10:34 PM

overcome.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

it can be...I will share with you I have a good friend of

Mar 2, 2013, 10:38 PM

mine who's a former scout for the Orlando Magic and a long time basketball coach....he's shared with me that this is by far and away the hardest coaching job in the ACC....you don't have talent in the state of SC...no tradition...facilities are ok...kids know we are a football focused school...you know you are playing against Duke and UNC with the refs bias. It's a very tough job.

and the longer we go without breaking through, the harder

Mar 2, 2013, 11:29 PM

that already hard job gets. That's why I think there should be a real sense of urgency among the powers that be with regards to turning it around or at least trying.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Alright, Brownell vs. Purnell/Shyatt/Barnes in first 3 years

Mar 2, 2013, 10:34 PM

Did Purnell or Barnes inherit a team coming off appearances in the NCAA tournament?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 2, 2013, 10:37 PM

Only a blind person would think OP left in great shape.

Running out of town late in the recruiting process with ZERO signees and a class of deserters and busts.

His great class had Booker (good player) Jennings (Bust) Johnson (Deserter) Hill ( Deserter)

That is a fact.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

the program was in ok shape

Mar 2, 2013, 10:40 PM

better than when Larry Shyatt left...it was in shambles at that point...just a mess. OP's last few classes weren't up to standard...what I've seen from the last few Clemson coaches is they've tried to improve recruiting over their time here and have gone all in on a few good kids. When those kids didn't come it really hurt those classes and then a few kids leave and it's a mess really quick.

Mar 3, 2013, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Alright, Brownell vs. Purnell/Shyatt/Barnes in first 3 years ]

I didn't say great shape, but if OP was here, we would have more than 5 ACC wins right now. That is a fact.

this team does not have

Mar 2, 2013, 11:51 PM

Anyone that can knock down a shot when we have to have it....without stitt or kc river how well would have op done?....not saying he was a bad coach I thought he did the best he could possibly do here. Brad dosent have a player like that....things may have been different if colemen and blossingame or ever how you spell his name was not hurt..I say one more year to show some improvement then maybe you talk bout firing him.....but I belive we will be better next season..just a thought....flame or enjoy.

Purnell was left with a far bigger mess than Brownell was.***

Mar 3, 2013, 12:09 AM

How do you figure? Which one is really a bigger mess?

Mar 3, 2013, 1:26 AM

http://tigerpawball.com/clemson-basketball/roster/2003-2004 or http://tigerpawball.com/clemson-basketball/roster/2010-2011

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How do you figure? Which one is really a bigger mess?

Mar 3, 2013, 6:45 AM

You're kidding right?

In year 3 Barnes and Purnell were there and moving forward

Mar 3, 2013, 9:30 AM

getting better, and you could see it.

Brownell and his team will be going further backwards after Booker and Jennings leave and they are not grreat players.

His recruiting has been bad, he has no one who can come close to replacing Booker and Jennings next year. This will be a team depending on guards and Brownell himself says we are not a good shooting team, his guards are bad shooters.

So what about next year, how can you compete in the ACC without and inside game or guards who can shoot. This is a train wreck and another one coming next year.

Give Barnes and Purnell credit, they at least could recruit and build a team. They did not use all their recruiting on one or two positions and allow other positions to go and not bring in any talent in those areas.

This!***

Mar 3, 2013, 9:51 AM

Re: Alright, Brownell vs. Purnell/Shyatt/Barnes in first 3 years***

Mar 3, 2013, 9:39 AM

Re: Alright, Brownell vs. Purnell/Shyatt/Barnes in first 3 years***

Mar 3, 2013, 9:40 AM

Mar 3, 2013, 9:46 AM

Shyatt really doesnt count. I think everyone knew that his hiring was a stretch to try and hang on to the Rick Barnes era.

Barnes was obviously the best of the bunch.

OP was second.

Brownell can coach. They play decent defense and play hard, but always struggle to score. Cant understand why so many want to give him a pass as some sort of genius, as the program is worse than what he took over. He has had Booker, and a supposed star in Jenkins the while time. Brownell needs to figure out that recruiting is the name of the game. He has to figure that out or none of the great defense, and playing hard matters.

And for those that want to cop out by saying you cannot recruit to a football school. FSU is about as big of a football school as there can be. Yet they won the ACC last year, even with an idiot standing on the sidelines.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1,831
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic