Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
All this talk about Clemson basketball coaches
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

All this talk about Clemson basketball coaches

Feb 4, 2020, 4:24 PM

Makes me recall the Bobby Roberts days when I was a Clemson student. For the most part Clemson basketball wasn’t really good in those days buy there was some great moments and great games. I remember sweeping the Tarheels one year. Many will say that wasn’t possible since we never won in Chapel Hill but in those days the Tigers played in the North/South classic in the Charlotte Coliseum each year. There was also some good players on those teams. The Mahaffey brother were solid players and great guys. Jim Brenner was the top scorer and Jim Sutherland could score as well.

Bill Foster took over as coach in the mid 70s and had some really good teams led by a number of quality players. None more well known that Tree Rollins! Bill was a great coach and a great developer of young men? I think the overtime win over Kentucky in 1979 in Rupp arena was my favorite Clemson win ever! I think the next year the Tigers beat Duke and UNC in the same week. How often has that happened?

Billy Williams was another guy you would love to see play.

I believe in 1980 the Tigers made it to the elite 8 and beat Utah State and BYU before losing to UCLA.

Shortly after that Larry Nance and company kept Tigers basketball in the news.

I hated to see Foster leave. He ended up at Miami for a few years and I believe he was at VPI too.

Great,great gentleman. I got to know him briefly and he was a real card and one heck of a coach

So, guys it can be done. I’ve seen it for a brief time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All this talk about Clemson basketball coaches

Feb 4, 2020, 4:54 PM

Has BB benn fired , or what ! !

Feb 4, 2020, 5:51 PM

its or what. that being defined as how do you get humiliated by wake and yet the same guys beat Duke and Syracuse

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2020, 5:56 PM

I really liked Bill Foster as a coach and I really liked his teams. My favorite was the John Moose Campbell, Larry Nance, Horace Wyatt, Billy Williams, Bobby Conrad, Mitch Wiggins team. They could really play and they cut loose on UNC one year at home. That was a great game. Did not have to worry about Conrad missing free throws.

Feb 4, 2020, 6:03 PM

Bill was my great uncle. My mother used to go to Clemson ball games when tree Rollins was in school. She had a picture beside him. She was only 4’9 so imagine the height difference lol.

He did go to VPI in the 90s. I used to have their team shoes every year, he would send me some for my recreation league basketball games. He was a great man and always told great stories during the holiday dinners. I loved watching the old Clemson games with the talent that he had.

Loved watching the Cliff Ellis 89-90 Team . . .

Feb 4, 2020, 6:23 PM

Dale Davis was a stud inside!!! A BEAST of a MAN!!!!!!!

He was worth the price of admission . . . to me, even more so than Elden Campbell!!!

I can't remember much about our guard play that season, but with those two controlling the paint "guard play" was an afterthought . . .

Yes . . . Good Basketball CAN and SHOULD exist in Tigertown!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Elden Campbell was a smooooooth California kid

Feb 4, 2020, 6:35 PM

Twin Towers when he and Dale were in the floor!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guard play was not bad either

Feb 4, 2020, 7:19 PM [ in reply to Loved watching the Cliff Ellis 89-90 Team . . . ]

I totally agree on the Dale Davis comments. He is still my favorite Tiger. I graduated in 89 and he single-handedly outrebounded the heels my senior year in LJC. Broke a long losing streak to them in that game. He was fierce and improved each year.

Marion Cash handled the point and did a good job defensively. One of my favorite Tigers from the college days was Derrick Forrest. Can't remember if he was a senior in 89 or 90, but he was a stud defender that could knock down a few 3s as well. When I say lock down defender, I mean he would eat up all the top scoring shooting guards from those days.

Basketball meant a great deal to us in those days. It was worth waiting in line for hours to sit right under the basket on the visitor end of the court. We gave it to the visitor bench and officials as well. We also had great respect and admiration for the coaches that would interact with us before games like Cremins, Lefty, and Jimmy V. They loved the college atmosphere and were great entertainers and coaches. Some players were awesome to go back and forth with too. Dennis Scott of GT comes to mind.

If you ever saw Dale play and didn't appreciate . . .

Feb 4, 2020, 9:32 PM

his abilities . . . then you just don't understand what it takes to play with your back to the basket and the physicality involved . . . He was as good as we've ever had - period!!!

Thanks for your comments on our guard play . . . sadly, oftentimes, folks who do their jobs quietly are all too often overlooked . . . this one is on me!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You need to remove this post.

Feb 4, 2020, 6:30 PM

Some people on here don't think Clemson has ever or can ever have exciting basketball seasons and are happy to settle for mediocrity.

You're going to trigger 'em, and bad.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic