Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
All I Want For Christmas Is An Ounce Of Common Sense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

All I Want For Christmas Is An Ounce Of Common Sense

Dec 24, 2018, 10:25 PM

This situation regarding the Osterine suspensions is absolutely ridiculous and is great need of a common sense intervention.

If Dabo is saying that this situation is different than the ones in the past where failed drug tests led to all kinds of rumors that were often unfortunately true. But in this situation, it is just a TRACE amount of Osterine and all 3 players say that they have no idea where it would have come from, but not only that, Dabo acts as if he genuinely believes them and is more or less banking on this being some kind of cross-contamination or honest mistake...

Then why in the heck is he suspending them??? I understand why you would self-impose a suspension on a player that tested positive for THC, opiates, coke, etc that has owned up to admitting recreational use and making a mistake (or some witness of that).

But in this case, at face value, for players to have put so much hard work and dedication into being the best they can for their team, coach, school and millions of fans only to receive a self-imposed suspension when they made no conscious decision to break the rules or to use any illicit substance is just extremely unfair.

There has to be an exception for almost any rule, when you use common sense and evaluate the fairness and potential damage of a corrective action levied against a person that never intentionally made a mistake. Just how does this punishment result in any kind of improved behavior by either those that tested positive or anyone else on the team witnessing the punishment (as a warning of what exactly)? What exactly is the lesson???

To me, if I were Dex or the other guys, the only way I could really interpret the suspension is that obviously Dabo doesn't trust me or believe me even though he put a positive spin on it in the presser. Seeing things as black and white may look great on paper, but not so great when things are actually treated that way in real life.

When it comes down to it, it's quite simple. Either the guys knowingly took a supplement or product they shouldn't have or they genuinely have no idea how this happened. If the latter is true, then there should be no punishment because it is completely meaningless. Also, surely the 3 of them have gotten together to compare the products or supplements they have been using or been given by now that should have easily narrowed it down to what could have caused it if that was what happened, since no one else on the team tested positive for it.

I say that Dabo should bring them each in one by one and ask them one last time, from the heart, please tell me if you have any idea what could have caused this or if you have since figured out or narrowed down what it might be by talking to the other guys. And if they still do not know and this is genuinely an honest failed screening, I think he should seriously reconsider suspending them. Because, unlike your typical suspension, this one may actually break the heart and the back of the team and lead to frustration and mistrust between the players and the staff. Because the way it stands, Dabo certainly doesn't appear to have their back...

And I always hate to bring up this topic since it's radioactive and pisses a lot of people off if initiated by the wrong side, but if the kids want to take a lie detector test of their own volition to back up what they are saying, then maybe the lawyers should assist them with that as well.

Anyways, I'll just say this one stings more than usual because outwardly it is complete BS. It's not some kids getting pulled over with weed by cops or stealing crab legs and dancing on a table like an idiot, assaulting women, getting into fights or having major discipline problems. Instead, this one feels almost like Dabo wants to self-impose this punishment to show just how d@mn 'holier than thou' we are to the point that our program is so above board that we'll whip our backs in public to prove our own purity when no one even intentionally did anything wrong. Like cutting off our nose to spite our face. Comes across as snobbish and elitish.

I wish our AD or fellow coaches would talk Dabo out of such a drastic move, although it's clearly going to be harder to walk back now that he's announced it the public.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All I Want For Christmas Is An Ounce Of Common Sense

Dec 24, 2018, 10:27 PM

Daño isn’t suspending them. It’s the NCAA

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All I Want For Christmas Is An Ounce Of Common Sense

Dec 24, 2018, 10:36 PM

Oh, well if that's the case it's even more screwed up then since they obviously told Dabo the word trace since he used it as well. That seems very harsh for the NCAA to dictate such a punishment over a trace amount fail. It seems like guys in the past that have done much worse drugs, like recreational stuff, always own up to it so I really don't understand why they think these guys would lie over a gimpy version of a muscle boosting supplement.

Sorry if I had a misunderstanding, but a lot of the other posts on the board seemed to suggest that Dabo was self imposing these suspensions as a proactice measure.

Of course, there's been all kinds of posts on here over the issue, with a bunch of folks swearing on the fact that the B test is going to clear them. I hope these people actually know what they're talking about and that turns out to be the case.

I really want that five minutes of my life back after

Dec 24, 2018, 10:40 PM

reading your post.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I really want that five minutes of my life back after

Dec 24, 2018, 10:55 PM

That's cool. I wanted 3 seconds of mine back after reading your's! Merry Christmas @sshat!

Re: I really want that five minutes of my life back after

Dec 24, 2018, 10:57 PM [ in reply to I really want that five minutes of my life back after ]

Seriously though, why did you keep reading it? :)

Someone corrected me immediately saying it was the NCAA and not Dabo, but as a free user I can't go back and edit or delete my posts.

I appreciate your text and agree with most of it, but

Dec 24, 2018, 10:47 PM

I really don't think Dabo has a choice. There is a protocol to follow once a drug test comes back positive no matter the circumstances. I'm sure every student athlete at Clemson knows that if a drug test is positive, there will be a chain of events that start to happen instantly.

I know that Dabo believes these kids are innocent and the university will do everything possible to clear this up in favor of the athletes. Unfortunately, it may not be cleared up in time for them to play in the playoff. The only thing that could save them is a negative test of sample B. That is not likely due to the fact that it is the same batch of urine form the same day.

If the Sample B test comes back positive Wednesday or Thursday, Dabo has no say then at all. Technically now, he can practice them, but they are preparing others in their place because they probably know it is likely the Sample B will also test positive.

The school will help these kids appeal in the off-season and I think they will be successful. The bummer is that they will not be able to play in this playoff that they have worked so hard for.

It’s not Dabo’s call***

Dec 24, 2018, 11:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic