Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Payment through scholarships
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,020

Payment through scholarships

Jul 12, 2018, 9:58 AM

The EA topic got me thinking...very dangerous. In cases like EA, why can't the NCAA take advantage of a secondary income source to fund scholarships? The highest estimate I have seen for a schools income from the game was $143,000 in 2014. Split up over 85 scholarships that is about $1700 that if given to players through scholarships could be used towards other sports or included in player stipends they now receive. As long as the NCAA and schools treat these payments equally, players could receive the money and not break NCAA rules. Why would income paid to the school and used for the players be any different that ticket sales or TV rights?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

All BS... the biggest payment a scholarship athlete

Jul 12, 2018, 10:06 AM

Gets is acceptance to the school in the 1st place.

Every year we read about thousands of kids being turned down by admissions.

Every year we read stories about kids with good grades, high class standings, and 1100-1200 SAT scores being rejected by Clemson...for admission. .forget financial aid.

5star bubba hotel gets a full ride.

How many Scolarship football, basketball, and baseball players have 1100-1200 SAT scores?

Everyone this comes up, I think of the espn 30 on the Fab 5. Jalen Rose is sitting there talking about how he only had a Honda Accord in college and how "the man" was taking advantage of him. Then the next scene shows him in Rome with the REST of the basketall team.

I didnt have a car until my senior year at clemson and I still can't afford a trip to rome.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Good points but I personally don’t think ea sports should be able to

Jul 12, 2018, 10:10 AM

Make millions off of your likeness without you agreeing or somehow getting a benefit from it. I agree that school including room, board, and just being able to graduate with no debt gives you more than most graduates nowadays but for a company to make money off of your likeness seems a bit off.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good points but I personally don’t think ea sports should be able to

Jul 12, 2018, 10:31 AM

Players signing FA agreements agree to not profit from their likeness as stipulated by the agreement. Much like business employees sign away "intellectual rights" to their company. EA had an agreement with the NCAA and all member organizations to use trademarked images in the game and was compensated for it.

Do you think NFL players are paid for their likeness in Madden? No, the NFL owns the rights to use players names and likeness. They are paid millions by EA to use that information in the game and that money along with lots of other sources is used to pay player salaries. This would be no different that funding college scholarships.

null

Circular... no1 would make a dime off your image

Jul 12, 2018, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Good points but I personally don’t think ea sports should be able to ]

Or even care who you were if that big ole meanie school didn't accept you.

Ask O'Bannon if he would make money off his likeness if UCLA didn't give him a scholie.

No1 cares about a guy working at a car dealership.

If I were the ncaa I would just change to wording on the scholarship /acceptance letter. If you agree to blank you agree to us making video games.

Yes, cool..you're in.
No...ok..good luck wherever you end up in life.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: All BS... the biggest payment a scholarship athlete

Jul 12, 2018, 10:22 AM [ in reply to All BS... the biggest payment a scholarship athlete ]

I'm not saying the players get any more money than they already do. I'm simply saying the schools should use the added revenue to directly fund player scholarships. That way the money is traceable to the athletes being portrayed in the game and the AD money could be used to fund additional scholarships for non-revenue producing sports.

I am completely against "student-athletes" getting paid any way other that scholarships. I still don't understand a stipend when everything already gets paid for, but I am also believe that as a representative of the University the schools should be able to bring in revenue generated from players and see nothing wrong with using that to fund the scholarships currently paid out of the AD budget.

null

Jul 12, 2018, 10:49 AM

I'm simply saying the schools should use the added revenue to directly fund player scholarships. That way the money is traceable to the athletes being portrayed in the game and the AD money could be used to fund additional scholarships for non-revenue producing sports.

That's how it works now. Clemson receives
X AMOUNT OF $ from various sources and uses it to pay Y amount of bills.

IN your situation all Clemson would have to do (right now) is draft an excel sheet showing that all the money from the NCAA went to scholarships. The facilities, coaching salaries, trips, and all other costs were paid by private donors.

Jul 12, 2018, 2:10 PM

Exactly, I'm sure its more complicated but it seems like a simple fix that some would just prefer to avoid discussing.

null

Yeah but it's just manipulating numbers on a spreadsheet

Jul 12, 2018, 2:35 PM

No intelligent person would fall for it...especially at a school like wake. Who doesn't have a booster club like clemson.

No1 would believe wake paid for all their stuff just from private donations.

The truly sad part is, in reality. .it was stupid.

I think the article said the ncaa was getting like 50 mil? Seems like a lot of money up front but when you split it amongst all the schools it likely comes down to less than their stippens.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,020
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic