Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Alabama is on fire
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Alabama is on fire

Aug 4, 2019, 9:25 AM

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Alabama-Crimson-Tide-football-Eyabi-Anoma-Houston-Cougars-transfer-destination-134172391/ like the bleeding is a little heavier than usual .
Not that they don't oversign and run-off good players for even better ones ... but my goodness they're flow is a little heavy right now .

Wonder if the colors are starting to fade on the Saban flag ?

Thoughts ? Statements ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I’m sending this to Saban...

Aug 4, 2019, 9:32 AM

To help with the bleeding.

~JKB

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m sending this to Saban...

Aug 4, 2019, 11:03 AM

Sometimes I wonder if the luster isn't being worn off ...what with all the Clemson-hype and taking it on the chin ftom a non traditional school , and the fact that Alabama under Saban changes assistant coaches out like coffee filters at the Waffle House .
Those kids might love the brand , but outside of winning big are they enjoying the experience ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Alabama is on fire

Aug 4, 2019, 9:42 AM

The landscape of College football is changing. Tyrants like Saban who run programs like athletic factories are losing traction. Even the NFL is figuring that out. Look what Gruden is doing at the Raiders!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2019, 10:11 AM

All true, buts let’s remember the guy did not leave. He was dismissed from the team.

Aug 5, 2019, 7:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Alabama is on fire ]

Gruden's Raiders went 4-12 while the quintessential example of a "football factory" at the NFL level won their 3rd Super Bowl in 5 seasons while making it 8 consecutive seasons making it to at least the AFC Championship Game.

So what is the NFL figuring out exactly?

Aug 5, 2019, 7:21 PM

The NFL is nigh/day difference though. Being that players are motivated by contracts and all. Belichick has figured out the positions he can just drop a guy who wants too much money. He looks for a guy who has certain characteristics and abilities and gives them the: "prove yourself and if we want you we will pay you or somebody else will"! Either way, "I will put you in position if you work Patriots Way hard"! Do it and a player can go somewhere else and make good money and may just win a championship along the way.
I think what he was referring to was - "not getting the thuggish types just because they are talented"! It "use to be" a time they just didn't care as long as you could run, catch, block, tackle, etc at a high level. Now - with so much main stream money in endorsements at risk - they can't afford it.

They are getting more and more picky about guys with character issues. And it will at least, cost the player draft position! Which translates to millions potentially. Certainly less guaranteed money.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2019, 7:56 PM

Gets it!!! +1

The NFL is nigh/day difference though. Being that players are motivated by contracts and all. Belichick has figured out the positions he can just drop a guy who wants too much money. He looks for a guy who has certain characteristics and abilities and gives them the: "prove yourself and if we want you we will pay you or somebody else will"! Either way, "I will put you in position if you work Patriots Way hard"! Do it and a player can go somewhere else and make good money and may just win a championship along the way.
I think what he was referring to was - "not getting the thuggish types just because they are talented"! It "use to be" a time they just didn't care as long as you could run, catch, block, tackle, etc at a high level. Now - with so much main stream money in endorsements at risk - they can't afford it.

They are getting more and more picky about guys with character issues. And it will at least, cost the player draft position! Which translates to millions potentially. Certainly less guaranteed money.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2019, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Alabama is on fire ]

Are you serious? You do understand it's the same NFL that has guys like Tyreek Hill and Joe Mixon plastered as superstars right?

Aug 5, 2019, 9:02 PM

Gotta start somewhere... No?

Aug 4, 2019, 10:09 AM

Saban seems to be emphatic that he was dismissed from school, implying that it wasn't his choice to leave. He uses the word dismissed rather than saying he withdrew or dropped out, chose not to return. What's that about?

Helll hath not fury like a woman scorned?***

Aug 4, 2019, 11:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2019, 10:19 AM

Welcome to UH son! Coogs can definitely use you. Hopefully Holgerson can get the train out of the station.

Aug 4, 2019, 10:25 AM

Why would Saban make the statement that this player was dismissed? The only thing I can think of is to save face for himself. The player is gone after not attending classes, just wish him well in his future endeavors and go about your business, but Nicky says all he can to cast a shadow on this young man. Compare to Feaster going to UofSUC

Aug 4, 2019, 11:19 AM

Saban has always been adept at throwing scapegoats under buses .
He'll make a statement like :

" WE didn't get the kids prepared to play and that's OUR fault as a STAFF , particularly Johhny Lunchmeat and Billy Jack Whyndam who wanted to look i to other things and weren't fully invested . "

The guy is a blame-gamer from the word go .

He's also 3 foot 12 .

DB23

He's only 3 foot 12?!?

Aug 5, 2019, 8:56 PM

That makes cutigerbob® ecstatic! As he should be!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2019, 10:21 AM

Business as usual for Saban. Churn and burn. However, this business model is catching up with Bama, it's the beginning of the end.

Aug 4, 2019, 11:07 AM

Don't start throwing stones, when the Tigers have had 5 enter the Transfer Portal this year. Its 6 if you count KB but he left the team in 2018. Not all are household names from either school.

Yeargin is a little different situation because I believe he had given up his scholarship thinking he couldn't play again.

https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Season/2019-Football/TransferPortal/

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2019, 11:22 AM

This wasn't done just to cast aspersions.... much .
I know we've had our share of transfers and that kind of stuff . I just like ... no I really LOVE taking shots at the Alabama's and Coots of the CFB world . Otherwise , why am I even fanning the football at all ?

Message was edited by: Tigerdug23®

DB23

Aug 4, 2019, 11:31 AM

Got you. I wasn't supporting Bama either (and wouldn't). Transfers are affecting everyone and no end in sight.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bell left a l year and a half ago.

Aug 4, 2019, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Alabama is on fire ]

Misleading link, not your fault,247 is just claiming 3 guys that left before 2019 on that list

https://www.tigernet.com/view/scholarships/football.do

Aug 4, 2019, 12:08 PM

I think the lack of continuity is their biggest problem. It's tough for a player to change position coaches and OC's literally every year and be coached by entirely different guys than the ones who recruited you.

It's even tougher when there's so much early attrition to the NFL.

The other problem is that Bama, like Clemson, seemed to have a "type" - in Bama's case: serious, unsmiling, businesslike, impersonal...almost professional, basically. When Saban lost a bunch of head-to-head recruiting battles against UGA a couple years back, though, he went and hired a very different kind of coaching staff - younger, more aggressive, and guys who were known more their recruiting than their coaching. They in turn sallied forth and got a bunch of recruits who had great on-paper ratings and some of them will likely be undeniably great players...but in contrast to that all-business serious vibe to the guys that Saban's crew usually recruited, when that younger staff took over an uncharacteristic number of guys who struck me as immature self-promoting primadonnas started arriving at Bama. That Savion Smith they pulled out of JUCO was a glaring example; that guy was nothing but trouble at LSU and had a horrifying attitude per everybody. I was frankly shocked Bama took him...and it wasn't a shock when he took himself out of the national title game with what looked like a fake ankle injury after getting repeatedly burned by Justin Ross. (Which did not exactly impress NFL scouts either; Smith ended up not being drafted, and he had top-two-rounds-type physical talent!)

I think they've lost their way a bit. Saban's older staffs used to do a consistent job of passing over the problem children with egos because they didn't fit the culture, I think they've slipped on that. That LB who is transferring, for instance, definitely just did not seem in interviews like that old type of all-business Bama kid.

Considering that Saban used to micro-manage literally every facet of that program, this might speak to the fact that Saban isn't as involved as he used to be...or, worse, that he might be losing his touch like Bobby Bowden and JoePa seemed to late in their careers.

This year, I think, may tell us a lot about whether or not Saban is still putting his stamp on that team the way he used to.

Aug 4, 2019, 2:02 PM

If "professional" means "ruthless", then yes, i agree that the old guard Bama coaches were professional. Nobody cared about the players' welfare, rights or education; only their performance.

When Jalen Hurts went several months last year after the championship game without having any conversations with any coach re. his status in remaining the starter or as Tua's backup, that should set off alarm bells.

On the one hand, excuses abound: this isn't High School, where you see the Head Coach in the hallway most days--after the Chip game v. UGA, all the coaches hit the recruiting trail to get as many in-home visits done within a very tight window.

Besides, it's Alabama, where his QB position coach and Offensive Coordinator both left and were replaced. Neither of the new guys knew him personally, nor did they have a good professional grasp of the fluid situation. And that happens almost every year.

But at some point, Saban was obligated to address the situation with Hurts. That's only being professional as a coach. And if the same situation exists with non-QBs, Saban owes it to every young man to have that discussion, if no position coach is available to do it. That's not me being sensitive; it's the reason the NCAA requires periodic release of depth charts.

One of the wonderful characteristics that Dabo brings to our program is the leadership and management skills of a CEO of a multi-multi-million dollar business. Every position coach is held accountable for communication with their players, for setting objectives and goals and criteria for their advancement, and for conducting postseason exit interviews so players can know how best to work on their game when not under a coach's supervision.

The reason most Tigers transfer is because they HAVE BEEN INFORMED they have been passed on the depth chart. I think at many institutions, players are left to figure it out for themselves. The NCAA requires periodic publication of the DC so players have the opportunity to know where they stand, but I don't think many coaches bother to inform their guys. It's like a person charged with a crime having the right to legal defense vs. the same person being INFORMED they have the right to legal defense. Saban's, and others, programs are so inefficient in churning through so many talented players without regard for the educations and futures of the young men left behind. 18-, 19-, and even 20-year old kids don't always realize when they are being played by skilled authority figures they respect and depend on.

Aug 4, 2019, 3:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Alabama is on fire ]

I think there may have been one other thing going on over a year or so. Bama did some major fundraising for their $600M renovation project for football and basketball and Saban probably had to press some flesh to make it rain plus was likely a big voice as far as how he wanted everything. Meanwhile his 67 year old hip had him wobbling up and down the sideline like a weeble and everybody told him he had the greatest team of all time. In reality he had gotten softer than a baby’s #### and now he’s got to cloud up and rain on some people to try and bring back the ruthless thuggishness he’s so famous for.

Aug 5, 2019, 7:00 PM

Is his hip so bad he can’t hold his on drink cup? Why does he need an assistant constantly following him up and down the sidelines holding his cup? We have a get back coach for BV but Saban needs a drink holder? Kind of weird if you ask me. Watch the championship game......

Aug 4, 2019, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Alabama is on fire ]

Your exactly right quozzel , those kids get whiplash watching those position coaches come through their doors .
Has to be hard on most , if not all of them .
But that's the way Saban seems to run his campaign , whether I agree with it or not .

Also agree , that kid faked being hurt because Ross manhandled him at the point of attack .
I guess Joey Batson can stay another year ... seems to be doing his okayest job ;)

DB23

Aug 4, 2019, 4:13 PM

My Rx;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwyFKxnbrfM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2019, 4:34 PM

??

DB23

Aug 5, 2019, 7:50 PM

How exactly is the shine coming off of Bama? Maybe in the sense that Clemson is challenging for the top program spot, but in a “they’re about to fall off the map” way?

They’ve still won 2 of the last 4 NC’s and played in 4 straight NC games. They are the clear #2 team heading into this season, and they have the current #2 or #3 ranked recruiting class. Where is all the talk of them falling off coming from?

Aug 5, 2019, 8:29 PM

We are sagely looking at the façade of the building, seeing the cracks between the bricks, shaking our heads and saying, "Yup, yer foundation is settlin'. Gonna cost ya. Been expectin' it for years."

No question the Elephants aren't as bright and shiny as 12 months ago, but they've still got a long way to fade. They can still have a long glorious decline unless Saban freaks out like he did during the Natty.

Aug 5, 2019, 8:53 PM

I agree.
Though I am not sure it will be so long and glorious! At Saban's age and no long term coach other than maybe the strength coach - who will pass along the Saban ways of doing things? Not all the former HC's who are just trying to pay a one or two year penalty for not doing well at their last stop.
Everybody isn't Nick Saban! How long before the call of wanting to enjoy it a bit kick in with Saban. Time has not lost a battle yet.
All the Bama folks who act like they have a right to be good should watch some classic games occasionally!
2000 Iron Bowl Mike Dubose final game the mighty tide was pathetic! Had a highly rated recruiting class and a coach that had the year prior won SEC coach of the year! And a #3 ranking to start that season.
Just saying - they aren't quite a sinking ship as a school that wants to win. They went through a few coaches between 2000 and 2007 before Saban. The schools will and need and desire to win may not be fading - but father time will eventually tap Nick on the shoulder and get him to slow down! Willingly or unwillingly. AS stated - will it be gracefully or ungraceful? And I am a Saban fan going back to his time at Michigan St.
For now though - Saban is in good enough shape to make a difference still and Bama is still very dangerous!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_DuBose

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: long and glorious decline

Aug 5, 2019, 9:53 PM

Well, to be fair, a 'long and glorious decline' is either an oxymoron or a Southernism: one is an admission of contradiction, while the other is an overly polite manner of saying something obvious and distasteful.

But unless Bama can generate enough pass rush to threaten Trevor, he and our big wideouts will carve them up if they manage to face us in the Natty either of the next two years.

A 'glorious decline' can still include that treasured SEC championship, however. Just not a Natty.

this guy was the best player in that HS all american game

Aug 6, 2019, 10:42 AM

that year Trevor was in it. He was all over the place and intense. Glad he's not playing for BAMA anymore.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic