Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about Tiger Rag
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Question about Tiger Rag

Sep 21, 2019, 5:27 AM

I graduated from Clemson in '86, have never been a season ticket holder, but have of course attended many games over the last 30+ years, except for during the 90's and into the early 2000's, when I lived pretty far away.

The first time I went back for a game, I noticed that there had appeared this "Woo-hoo, Woo-hoo-hoo-hoo" before spelling out C-L-E-M-S-O-N at the end of the song. That definitely wasn't a thing back in the 80's. But it's definitely a thing now.

When did people start doing that? Was it a fan thing that just caught on? Cheerleader-instigated? What?

BTW, not a problem with it. Just curious.

TIA.

Message was edited by: cuthbert®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question about Tiger Rag

Sep 21, 2019, 5:40 AM

I think it occurred sometime around 2000 (call it the Y2K bug). I know it wasn't there when I got to campus in 98, but I remember it starting up sometime while I was there. As far as who started the nonsense...I have no idea if it was students, cheer, or the band.

I arrived on campus in 2000

Sep 21, 2019, 7:52 AM

From my cloudy memories of college, the woo hoo was there for my entire 4 yrs.

Your timing sounds pretty accurate

I DID NOT START IT, I CAN PROMISE THAT.

Ahh..the great "Woo Hoo" debate rears its ugly head

Sep 21, 2019, 6:10 AM

As a general rule of thumb, it would seem anyone around 40 or older doesn't seem to care for it while the younger generation does. While bored at work one day, I researched the subject and came across this video. From what I remember, I think the band is encouraged not to "Woo Hoo" as to remain impartial to such a divisive topic. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxo3L0LRwMQ

Re: Ahh..the great "Woo Hoo" debate rears its ugly head

Sep 21, 2019, 7:18 AM

That video predates my return to DV. It seems the controversy raged during my long absence. Glad not to have been a part of it.

Re: Ahh..the great "Woo Hoo" debate rears its ugly head

Sep 21, 2019, 7:53 AM [ in reply to Ahh..the great "Woo Hoo" debate rears its ugly head ]

Of course the band is encouraged not to woohoo because......because........

They are playing their instruments then!

Fido

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1992 Clemson UVA flagline started it***

Sep 21, 2019, 6:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1992 Clemson UVA flagline started it***

Sep 21, 2019, 7:56 AM

I saw that in the video, so I guess it must be true, but I was at Clemson from 94-98, and I do not recall ANY crowd participation in a woohoo until well after I graduated. Sometimes in the early 2000s is when it became noticeable as far as the crowd doing it. It must have taken several years of the flag line doing it for new students to then think it was a tradition!

The woo-hoo is embarrassing. I'm 60 years old, but it makes

Sep 21, 2019, 8:30 AM [ in reply to 1992 Clemson UVA flagline started it*** ]

us sound like a bunch of wa-hoos off of the show "Hee-Haw".

To the comment about spelling out Clemson starting a few years before the woo-how, that does not seem correct. I was a student in the late 70's-early 80's and I remember spelling out Clemson at the end of Tiger Rag way back then.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2019, 7:35 AM

Not sure about the start. I detest it. Not sure it is as noticeable as it once was or maybe I'm just getting more used to it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2019, 8:56 AM

It's still pretty jarring to me, but that's undoubtedly because I don't attend that many games.

The first time I heard it in the stadium, AFAICT everybody around me, young and old, was woo-hooing. It was the first time I'd taken my daughter to a game, and she could see my reaction (initally negative). "Wuuuuut?"

I can't say I'm a fan of it, can't say I hate it; but I guess traditions evolve. It does sound a bit rube-ish to my ears, though.

Message was edited by: cuthbert®

this is what started it

Sep 21, 2019, 8:29 AM

https://youtu.be/zUXow3d3-b0?t=45

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

We never did the Woo-Hoo yell during my

Sep 21, 2019, 8:43 AM

time at Clemson from 1965-1969, and the C-L-E-M (now 1-2-3-4 blah blah) cheer was done differently, including a mild profanity between the "fight" words.

There's another cheer that was performed away from DV that was popular then, the infamous "Rat s---, bat s---" one that I doubt is around these days. lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We never did the Woo-Hoo yell during my

Sep 21, 2019, 11:02 AM

I have the same recollection for 74-77 seasons. I have heard the Rat-Bat a few times, but not for ages. Yes, it's not suitable women and children. lol

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic