Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our running problem explained
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Our running problem explained

Nov 14, 2016, 9:20 PM

I don't want to say Watson has regressed this year but I don't think he has gotten better. What makes Watson great is the read option and the fear for other teams he will run. This opens up the passing game as well and this creates less chance for interceptions.

The lack of this has also hurt Gallman. Instead of teams having to wait to react until he gets the ball, they know from the get go it's going to him and thus his numbers have decreased. The offensive line has also not done them any favors.

I feel we are getting away in what made us great which was the smash mouth spread to more of a slower, pro style offense.

You all can call me crazy but I truly believe Watson told the coaches he didn't want to run as much this year. This is not to say he wants to win less. You could start to gather this when he made the comments about not wanting to be labeled a duel threat QB.

Unfortunately Deshaun not running makes him not as dangerous and thus makes our offense and run game not as good.

We have to find success running to win the National Championship. We are not cutting it right now

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. Some in my family believe there is an agreement

Nov 14, 2016, 9:29 PM

On designed run plays called to protect from injury. 4 weeks ago I laughed, but not so much anymore. Our offense took off last year when Deshaun started running the ball. It could agin but....we'll see if the bubble wrap gets pulled off.

Re: Agree. Some in my family believe there is an agreement

Nov 14, 2016, 9:30 PM

If we don't get the run game going vs Wake I'm not to sure how optimistic I will be about the post season.

Nov 14, 2016, 9:46 PM

They are loading the box and making him throw! the numbers are the same as last year in total offense our only 2 problems is receiver drops and our DB play the only way FSU stayed in the game was because of PI calls on 3rd down you will see everybody throw the ball on us on 3rd down Pitt did the same thing 4 PI on 3rd and long 3 of them were PI the last was BS and 2 of them if our DB's knew how to play man coverage they would of had 2 easy picks instead they run all over the receiver. We have to drop and play zone let the safety's play ball hawk on 3rd

Nov 14, 2016, 10:11 PM

I don't see teams loading the box any more than last year. I also don't see us imposing our will on anyone from an offensive standpoint. We've tried to put the game in the hands of our big uglies, but they have been stopped. It's unfortunately true.

If You can't make a hole Wayne can run through.... you can't make a hole for anyone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our big uglies are mostly...

Nov 14, 2016, 11:05 PM

freshmen and sophomores. It's amazing we've been able to win 9 games with an immobile quarterback and virtually no experienced OL depth. Without Frunmorgen and Hyatt, even less. It's amazing to me they pass protect as well as they do.

It's pretty clear Watson isn't going to run the ball, whether it be a called run, zone read, broken play, improvised run, whatever. That and the limited OL don't bode real well for playing teams that, unlike Pitt, are somewhat able to defend the forward pass. Defense picked a bad day to take the first half off.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The number on passing yards has not dropped, but...

Nov 15, 2016, 4:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Agree. Some in my family believe there is an agreement ]

the rushing numbers have--both Watson and Gallman. We've called more passing plays than rushing plays this year, while last year we called more rushing plays.

Maybe we're paranoid but I wondered the same thing***

Nov 14, 2016, 9:51 PM [ in reply to Agree. Some in my family believe there is an agreement ]

Re: Our running problem explained

Nov 14, 2016, 9:40 PM

Our OL just isn't good this year. The whole line has regressed. 51 is awful

https://twitter.com/DavidHaleESPN/status/797890731390148608?lang=en

https://twitter.com/DavidHaleESPN/status/797872609639567360?lang=en

Nov 15, 2016, 2:22 PM

This right here! Our O-line has taken a step back this year. I literally took Gore and Mac lain for granite last year. I thought it was just our O-line just simply growing up like we've all been waiting for. Losing those two (if im not mistaken) two 5th year seniors really has shown in the running game this year. I had a discussion with my brother about this during the pitt game. We were both mind blown that we just dont have the push we had last year on run plays. I think it has a lot to do with communication and the #51 not doing his job. I understand we had injuries saturday but the O-line has to get better if were even thinking about a NC! Go tigers no disrespect to any player on our roster just show up and do your job go tigers!

Nov 15, 2016, 2:56 PM

I also believe this is why we are throwing the ball more this year. I believe the coaches know we don't have the line to run the ball as we had last year but can do a decent job on pass protection. I think the coaches and DW4 agreed to try to beat PITT with throwing the ball so he didn't have to run and take any more hits so he could heal up. Just my 2 cents. Db's were very disappointing to me at times on Saturday. If you don't at least turn around when a ball is coming - if you even breath on the WR it makes it too easy for them and gives the refs an easier PI call.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can explain it in a lot less words

Nov 14, 2016, 9:47 PM

Our OL just isn't good this year. End of story.

Re: I can explain it in a lot less words

Nov 14, 2016, 9:52 PM

+googol

Re: I can explain it in a lot less words

Nov 15, 2016, 12:25 AM [ in reply to I can explain it in a lot less words ]

I agree on run blocking. Pass blocking is ok

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. We shouldn't have to rely on DW to be able

Nov 15, 2016, 4:11 AM [ in reply to I can explain it in a lot less words ]

to at least run the ball effectively, the threat of his arm and the receivers we have should be enough to keep defenses honest so we can run the ball. As I've said the line is the weakest spot on this team. Say it's due to youth, injuries, etc.. but it's the truth. Except for the latter part of last year at times, I haven't seen a dominant o line at Clemson in a long time.

I agree. He is much more dangerous passing on the run than back in the pocket***

Nov 14, 2016, 9:50 PM

Nov 14, 2016, 9:53 PM

Deshaun does have a nice insurance plan in case he gets hurt so I do not think he is playing with fear. His shoulder was banged up this past weekend against Pitt. The shoulder got banged up on a nice run against Syracuse. Deshaun also changes run plays to passes if he sees things. Just my thoughts as a fan. He is not wired to be a clowney.

Nov 14, 2016, 10:02 PM

I'm a Eagles fan and we went through the same thing with McNabb....dude was a beast and then he put on "muscle" and got stronger but slower....and had to prove that he can win without being labeled a running QB.

Nov 14, 2016, 10:02 PM

My money is on Watson being turned loose in the running game come playoff time. No protections worries for the season at that point.

We've been waiting for it all year

Nov 15, 2016, 3:40 AM

Let's hope.

The main difference in the run game to me is

Nov 15, 2016, 3:53 AM

Other than Watson not wanting to run it is That we are abandoning the run when it's not there where last year we would just pound teams until the run would open up.

Nov 14, 2016, 10:10 PM

You are spot on. I have said the same thing since the Auburn game. I think it is extremely likely that some agent got in his ear since the National Championship and has convinced him it's not worth this risk. Seems like he has listened.

Exactly-Same as last year with our secondary laying down

Nov 14, 2016, 11:31 PM

at the end of the season. Looking forward to the draft.

Look - the main problem right now is that DW is

Nov 15, 2016, 1:30 AM

hurting - perhaps more than the coaches thought. A lot is on this young man's mind - the NFL, his stamina, etc. IMO, he might not run against Wake either but the OCs have to come up with running plays to allow Gallman to get yards.

IMO, DW is going to let it all hang out during the coot game and the ACC championship. We'll be OK.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he may be protecting the shoulder right now, but

Nov 15, 2016, 6:31 AM

I agree it seems like he has been less willing to run all year. There will be a couple plays every game in which he scrambles to the sideline and turns it upfield... and I see the 1st down marker come into view and I think he'll go for it... but instead he just kinda nonchalantly cruises on out of bounds, 3 yards short. And I'm thinking, man, he coulda got that if he wanted to.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: he may be protecting the shoulder right now, but

Nov 15, 2016, 6:44 AM

Absolutely, before he would fight like hell for an extra yard and now he rolls out short. Noticed that happened at least 3 times during the PITT game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait Wut

Nov 15, 2016, 1:29 PM [ in reply to he may be protecting the shoulder right now, but ]

Since when is throwing 70 times protecting your shoulder?

Nov 15, 2016, 1:37 PM

I have seen the pocket open up in front of him and he take a step that way, then pop back and complete a pass

He is not taking off or trying to make plays with his legs

But whatever...just find a way to win guys...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree 100%. They are not calling as many QB run and

Nov 15, 2016, 1:41 PM

when Watson does run he's not running with as much purpose. I don't know if he's been banged up or more so just trying to avoid an injury that could affect this season and/or his draft status, but there is no doubt his reduced running has allowed defenses to gang up on Wayne Gallman and blitz more as well.

Watson seems less quick and doesn't seem to be running as often on scrambles this year either. When he does take off he seems to lack the burst to pull away from defenders, sometimes even linebackers.

Whatever it is, you're right, we've got to pick up the running game as a whole if we hope to get into and advance in the playoffs. Can't win it all passing 70 times a game. No way, no how.

Nov 15, 2016, 1:59 PM

Were we not all talking b4 Pitt game he needs to go ob r learn 2 slide. IMO I think maybe he tweaked his knee and last wk protected his shoulder.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2016, 2:08 PM

Imo it's more the schedule we have played and DW checking out of the run. He does get to manage the game more than most qb.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can explain it... Our O-Line just isn't that great.

Nov 15, 2016, 2:43 PM

We aren't blowing anyone off the ball, and we certainly aren't creating the holes for Gallman to hit.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic