Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Andy Griffith Show
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 591

The Andy Griffith Show

Aug 15, 2020, 7:01 PM

Yes, I realize this may not be the right forum for this post. But maybe it is, as there’s a lot of arguing on this forum. I stumbled across an Andy Griffith episode watching YouTube TV. The first one I’ve watched in many many years. I grew up in a small Southern town in the 70s,

The good ole days are almost certainly never as good as we imagine in our minds, but just seems like life was better back then. Of course, I realize poverty rates are down and crime rates are down and economically the quality of life for most Americans is much better than it was back in those days.

But it just seems like people were kinder back then. Not just because I just watched a Andy Griffith episode, but just my memories of those days. Look at the politicians. Say what you want about Carter, but he was considered by all to be a true gentleman and a patriot.(and what a post presidency he had. Can you imagine Trump working on elections in Africa post presidency? Sorry, had to get one zinger in there with my otherwise peaceful post.) Same with Reagan.( Reagan is my favorite president of my lifetime).

Biden from a character standpoint probably fits in better with previous presidents. I don’t think there’s any question about that. But he has so many other weaknesses. That’s why I still think Trump is a better choice. But it would be nice if Trump also had the decency of past presidents. They say countries get what they deserve with their leaders. Either way, we will have a less than perfect leader when the next president is elected.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Andy Griffith Show

Aug 15, 2020, 7:31 PM

gomer worked a full time job, lived in the gas station

barnie worked a full time job, rented a room

thelma lou didnt have a day job, but lived in a nice house

hummmmmm....

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2020, 7:33 PM

Our values as a country have changed tremendously since them. People seem more concerned with wealth and instant gratification than working toward the common good.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2020, 7:39 PM

Yes you are correct. I totally agree with that

Aug 15, 2020, 10:10 PM

when you watch those old shows, wealth was not glamorized. In the old Westerns, the Robber Barron was the bad guy, not the hero. The boss was always the insufferable cheapskate with the receding hairline.

Now we have a generation obsessed with a reality show actor that glorifies firing people.

yeah, our values as a culture have shifted.

Is glorifying wealth really the worst example you

Aug 15, 2020, 10:33 PM

Re: Is glorifying wealth really the worst example you

Aug 15, 2020, 10:40 PM

we are far less violent a culture than we were 40 years ago, let alone 150. But yes, glamorizing wealth is a symptom of an unhealthy society.

Re: Is glorifying wealth really the worst example you

Aug 15, 2020, 10:51 PM

Aug 15, 2020, 7:44 PM [ in reply to Re: The Andy Griffith Show ]

Nothing has changed except your perception. You've expanded your field of vision. It's called growing up. It happened to most of us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. At the risk of using the P word too much, it seems

Aug 15, 2020, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Re: The Andy Griffith Show ]

that the change has been a polarizing in two directions away from the Mayberry ideals. On one hand is the isolationist "get all you can, can all you get" view of oneself, and a reaction to that by some to tax it away and redistribute it. No one in Mayberry would have recognized either view.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree. At the risk of using the P word too much, it seems

Aug 15, 2020, 9:59 PM

that the change has been a polarizing in two directions away from the Mayberry ideals. On one hand is the isolationist "get all you can, can all you get" view of oneself, and a reaction to that by some to tax it away and redistribute it. No one in Mayberry would have recognized either view.

Excellent point. I think that back In the 50s and 60s WWII was still a fresh memory. One silver lining of wars is it pulls the whole country together,and also ithe benefits of winning the war was pulling the economy up in almost all categories.

Then the country became divided because of Vietnam, civil rights, inflation, and then Reagan came in and really made the country better in my honest opinion. Reagan Democrats was a phrase we heard back then, and it was genuine as he truly helped them as well as the entire country

Then we had the first George Bush, who I really really liked. I felt like the way he handled the Persian Gulf war was incredible. He had a history of dealing with international leaders, and he pulled the entire world together against Iraq.. Thought it was brilliant. His approval rating was up in the 90s after Persian Gulf War. Then the economy crashed, and the brilliant politician Bill Clinton was able to beat him.

Clinton clearly had his issues and I didn’t trust him as far as I could see him, but he came across as genuine at least from the standpoint of wanting to help Americans. Despite his moral character flaws, he was a good president overall in my opinion. How the economy performs is very much luck in many ways and not directly applicable to the president, but I’ll give Clinton good ratings here as he was certainly willing to compromise with the Republicans. I will say that he benefited greatly economically because Reagan and Bush caused the communist to crumble through peaceful strength. After Comunsion crumbled the global economy thrived and this helped America at least at that time.(not over the long run necessarily)

Then the second George Bush while a good man was overall disappointing in my opinion. Somewhat similar opinion with Barack Obama. Although I will give him credit for at least gradually pulling us out of the 08 great recession.

Now we have Trump, and as much as I despise him personally he has definitely done some good things and clearly has been mistreated by the media. Just wish he could be a better person.

Anyway, thanks for letting me bore you with my personal ramblings of Presidents during my lifetime.

Aug 15, 2020, 10:49 PM [ in reply to Re: The Andy Griffith Show ]

Nazis worked for the common good.

Aug 16, 2020, 6:27 AM [ in reply to Re: The Andy Griffith Show ]

The episode I watched last night was about Emmett the fix-it guy. His brother-in-law was a successful insurance salesman and was trying to convince him to sell insurance. Emmetts wife pushed him hard to do it, as she wanted to move to the rich side of town. Emmett hated selling insurance and ended out going to his Fix it shop at night because he missed it so much. The episode ends with his wife understanding he really loved fixing things and encouraging him to take his old job back. So fits into exactly what you’re saying. Some shows back then seemed to almost discourage materialism. By the way Emmett and his wife slept in separate beds like all TV couples back in the 60s

Aug 16, 2020, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Re: The Andy Griffith Show ]

I find it hard to believe that people today are more prone to want money than people a generation ago. You're right, our values have changed. At one point values meant a person worked hard and did the best they could to make their way. You reap what you sow. Now it appears there is a sizable portion of the population who think more in terms of what the country owes them.

Biden is a perfect reflection of Carter.

Aug 15, 2020, 7:42 PM

Speaks softly and funks up everything he touches.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you think a character like Trump could have been elected president in the 70s?

Aug 15, 2020, 7:51 PM

I’d like to hear your argument Times have changed in my opinion dude.

Trump is a product of NYC.

Aug 15, 2020, 7:59 PM

Perhaps he might have been elected back then. As you said, times have changed. Had Trump matured to 70+ years old in the 1970 he would not be the Trump he is today. Would Barry have been elected in the 1970s? Not likely and for the same reason Joe might have.

We know Joe might have since he sided with segregationist and has a history of racial curious statement which are often offensive and insulting to minorities. Who knows, perhaps Trump might have been a racist back then. That would have won the democrat vote for him.

That’s a hypothetical

Aug 15, 2020, 8:12 PM

Not my point what Trump would’ve been like in the 70s if he had been born earlier. My point is how times have changed. I’m saying current day Trump versus how things were in the 70s.. The point was not to criticize your Dear Leader. but to point out how times have changed. With a post titled Andy Griffith you should’ve been able to figure that out

Re: That’s a hypothetical

Aug 16, 2020, 9:11 AM

Ok, so of course an old man is going to say how good things were 'back in the day.' I agree with that, not because life was easier, people were more gentle-like or kind but because I was young and my view of life was much more narrow. Mostly because I was young.

You set that standard then asked a hypothetical question 'would Trump have been elected in the 1970,' I qualified it to make it reasonably situated to your question and you accuse me of making a hypothetical claim?

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

The “good ole days” were “good ole days” for fewer and

Aug 16, 2020, 9:15 AM

fewer people the further you look back.

The ideals and moral positions held by shows like that evoke nostalgia but weren’t reflective of actual conditions for marginalized communities. And by marginalized communities, I’m referring to over 50% of the population at the time.

Re: The “good ole days” were “good ole days” for fewer and

Aug 16, 2020, 9:32 AM

I read a story once which told of a small child who reached the point in life where he realized he was poor. When it came time for the school children to collect for the poor his mama put her donation in an envelope before she gave it to him.

As he walked to school he felt the coins much in the envelope he created the imprint of the edge of the coins and realized they were pennies and his family would be the recipient of some of the money being collected. The story did a good job of exaggerating an example of an epiphany.

We had one thing going for us back then, we were younger.

Replies: 20
| visibility 591
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic