Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Govt overreach....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Govt overreach....

Mar 20, 2020, 11:19 PM

Certain guidelines to prevent the spread of virus yes but...Curfews and requiring businesses to close their doors, that’s TOO FAR

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. This is their job.

Mar 20, 2020, 11:38 PM

To protect the American people. Sometimes that means inconveniencing people in order to protect everyone.

And I’m a strong Republican and believer in small gov’t. I don’t even like gov’t bailouts.

But in the case of protecting from what is potentially an example of biological warfare, they’ve got my full support.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: No. This is their job.

Mar 21, 2020, 8:07 AM

+1 gtriple - My feelings exactly, but you said it better than I could.

Re: Govt overreach....

Mar 20, 2020, 11:40 PM

Your attitude has been noticed, comrade.
Oh yes, it has been noticed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Send him to the re-education camp***

Mar 22, 2020, 7:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Agree. I can stand in line in groc stores, but cannot dine

Mar 20, 2020, 11:44 PM

at a restaurant. Restaurant workers are suffering. So far, the Coronavirus projects to not be as deadly as the Spanish Flu of 1918, yet we have so many more people in the world now.

Why not just quarantine the elderly and other people at risk?!?!?! This total shutdown of LIFE may be going a bit too far.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HEY, just try quarantining Joe21 & me!

Mar 20, 2020, 11:48 PM

Haa...

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree. I can stand in line in groc stores, but cannot dine

Mar 21, 2020, 12:01 AM [ in reply to Agree. I can stand in line in groc stores, but cannot dine ]

"So far, the Coronavirus projects to not be as deadly as the Spanish Flu of 1918." Obviously data from 1918 is not as accurate as we have today, but estimates range from 20-100 million deaths worldwide. Even if Covid 19 is less deadly and we only lose 10 million people, i'd say we have a problem. BTW it wasn't Spains fault.

Go Tigers!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2020, 12:09 AM

We have Spanish, Asian, Hong Kong, and Russian flus for 1918, 1957, 1968, and 1977 because of where they started. We don't call the 2009 one the American flu, but do other countries call it that?

Mar 21, 2020, 12:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Agree. I can stand in line in groc stores, but cannot dine ]

2020 Kumbaya Flu

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Mar 21, 2020, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Agree. I can stand in line in groc stores, but cannot dine ]

It is named the Spainish flu because Spain cured it. That and German measles are the only diseases named for who cured it.

Mar 22, 2020, 8:21 PM

That's actually not true.

Spain was neutral during WWI and still had a free press. Most of the rest of Europe was at war so they were censoring their press. So the Spanish press were the first ones to truly report on the pandemic so people assumed it originated there.

In Spain they were actually calling it the French Flu.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Right! We should all head to the beach and lick toilet seats

Mar 21, 2020, 12:56 AM [ in reply to Agree. I can stand in line in groc stores, but cannot dine ]

on planes! Let's go! ####### #########....

the idea is to limit contacts

Mar 21, 2020, 4:50 AM [ in reply to Agree. I can stand in line in groc stores, but cannot dine ]

Your hospital will probably be over run soon. It might be a few days or a couple of weeks, but it will eventually happen.

If you interact with 100 people a day or 10 people a day what happens to your chances of infection?

The idea is to delay as long as possible so that our health care system can ramp up.

The idea is to delay as long as possible so that possible treatments may be found.

The idea is to delay as long as possible so that vaccines can be tested.

The idea is to delay as long as possible so that ventilators and masks and other PPE can be manufactured.

The spanish flu might not have looked so deadly in the first few weeks of outbreak either. It looked much worse a year later and it lasted 3 years all together.

The first case in the USA was 2 months ago, but it really has only been spreading in the last couple of weeks except in a couple of early hot spots.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2020, 6:30 AM [ in reply to Agree. I can stand in line in groc stores, but cannot dine ]

Well maybe because in the USA it is hitting folks from 20-45 pretty hard too because of our obesity/diabetes issues. It is not just an old folks issue here.

Mar 21, 2020, 10:45 AM

This is correct. It is not proven with this virus but the flu attaches itself to cells that are high in glucose. Virus cells are basically dead without a host cell and they love sugar too.

Mar 21, 2020, 8:43 AM [ in reply to Agree. I can stand in line in groc stores, but cannot dine ]

restaurants are different animals. you'd have a ton of asympomatic people sitting in the same place for an hour at a time, touching all kinds of stuff, breathing in air that is circulating in what are normally kind of low-roofed enclosures. When people eat, food particles go all over the place, now all loaded with virus. Then you're relying on a busboy to give more than a couple cursory wipes of the top of the table when a party leaves. Touches all their virus-laden dishware, which goes to the back, where it's possible the chef or line help wind up touching the bus trays. Now, you've got virus getting dispensed from the cook, the waiters, the bus boys back to other formerly healthy patrons out front. Grocery stores aren't nearly that problematic. People go in, go out, mostly maintain social distance. People that are afraid they're carrying wear masks, which you can't really do while you're chowing down in a restaurant.

Mar 21, 2020, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Agree. I can stand in line in groc stores, but cannot dine ]

Some restaurant owners and employees are getting creative. The obvious first steps are determining how best to set up for take out and whether current servers can make deliveries.

We have heard from two restaurant owners in our neighborhood. One serves Italian food and one serves BBQ, in similar price ranges.

The one at the edge of the neighborhood has offered neighbors a 10% discount on takeout.

The other is about 5 miles out on a road that normally has horrible traffic but was semi-deserted this week. They emailed their menu with specific dates they will bring all neighborhood orders to the pool parking lot for pickup.

Both have assessed their situations and targeted a specific customer base. This requires more effort on the part of one than the other, but the important thing is they are willing to make an effort.

Obviously many small businesses are affected by the loss of walk-in traffic, but I believe many of these will find ways to stay open and retain employees. The rest of us need to support our friends and neighbors as best we can, and keep the faith.

All of us should be trying to get take-out from our local

Mar 21, 2020, 10:32 AM

restaurants at least once a day - while trying to be as medically safe as possible.

Re: All of us should be trying to get take-out from our local

Mar 21, 2020, 10:48 AM

Yeah you should definitely be spending 5x as money on food when 40% of Americans are broke

Why don't you fess up, Sunshine

Mar 21, 2020, 1:56 PM

You're mad because Costco won't let you return all the toilet paper, pasta, sanitizer and paper towels you hoarded from all across the area...right?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why don't you fess up, Sunshine

Mar 21, 2020, 2:30 PM

Just received a Publix update stating their new hours and Senior hours. In the email, they also made it clear that they would not accept any returns on any item unless it was quality issue.

You’re going to the re-education camp too.***

Mar 22, 2020, 7:57 PM [ in reply to Agree. I can stand in line in groc stores, but cannot dine ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Mar 20, 2020, 11:55 PM

Agreed. At some point you have to let people live their lives. Economic suffering will far outweigh the virus.

Mar 21, 2020, 12:15 AM

Exactly. If these businesses arent allowed to soon reopen or if more close, there will be be more families impacted negatively by this than the virus. Lots of folks wont be able to mentally handle losing a business. Families will split and you'll see a large increase in drug dependency and suicides. It will kill more than the coronavirus will in this country

Mar 21, 2020, 6:33 AM

Mortgages and car loans are being deferred, along with student loans. In truth that is what needed to be done while we work past this, handing out cash is not gonna get'r done by itself. 2008 nothing was done on that side and millions lost their homes, a lesson learned maybe.

Mar 21, 2020, 8:11 AM

"Mortgages and car loans are being deferred" - I just bought a new car and have a loan, but they have not contacted me about deferring payments. Do I need to request that, or do they send you a notification?

1% increase in unemployment is linked to about 40,000 deaths

Mar 21, 2020, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Govt overreach.... ]

Strong correlation - not necessarily causation

Mar 22, 2020, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Govt overreach.... ]

Wow, I'm glad I don't live where you do. I'm seeing families reconnecting while you see folks in the depths of despair over problems that may seem likely but have not yet occurred.

medical suffering vs economic suffering

Mar 21, 2020, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Govt overreach.... ]

I think you have a point, but i would argue that we have to deal with the medical emergency more dramatically now because the types of tools we have to fight it are limited. And the smaller we can keep the medical effects that smaller the economic effects will be

Plus, we will have a larger number of types of tools to deal with the economic consequences. To be fair, I think Congress is trying to balance the responses and the consequences in both arenas.

Mar 21, 2020, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Govt overreach.... ]

What do you think is going to happen if 1M people are infected at a time? You think the businesses will be doing good then?

Do small businesses suffer when the owners die due to lack of ventilators? Asking for a friend

I’ve heard from someone close to FEMA & Homeland Security

Mar 21, 2020, 12:20 AM

That we will be on lockdown in the next several days

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: I’ve heard from someone close to FEMA & Homeland Security

Mar 21, 2020, 7:25 AM

BS! You're the 3rd person I've heard this from in the last 12 hours. Everyone has a FEMA/Homeland connection lol.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Re: I’ve heard from someone close to FEMA & Homeland Security

Mar 21, 2020, 9:35 AM [ in reply to I’ve heard from someone close to FEMA & Homeland Security ]

I've heard this about 50 times the past week.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Curfew is because virus only comes out at night.....***

Mar 21, 2020, 2:00 AM

Re: Curfew is because virus only comes out at night.....***

Mar 21, 2020, 6:49 AM

... mostly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought the freaks came out and night. Must be confused.***

Mar 22, 2020, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Curfew is because virus only comes out at night.....*** ]

Mar 21, 2020, 1:02 PM

Alright here’s a PERFECT example....
Yesterday my friends dad was moved to hospice here in NC, they made the family stay in the parking lot except for only one person at a time, he died early this morning, a family can’t even be together around their dying loved ones beds- GOVT OVER REACH! it’s going too far

Mar 21, 2020, 2:00 PM

Reminds me of a great Ben Franklin quote that many Americans have forgotten about, in this case the Penn family...

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Big difference is State vs. Fed

Mar 21, 2020, 2:27 PM

States can regulate all these things, that's their wheelhouse. What Uncle Sam should do is not shut doors and the like, but that's how it's been handled thus far.

What I have heard is that the states or cities

Mar 21, 2020, 4:35 PM

in some cases have been the ones to close things down.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am no longer surprised that we got Trump

Mar 22, 2020, 6:50 PM

As president after listening to the way people think on here.

How sad for our species

Mar 22, 2020, 7:48 PM

Time will tell. I personally dont think they are doing enough.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic