Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Aggie seeking info about Clemson game day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Aggie seeking info about Clemson game day

Aug 12, 2019, 11:51 AM

Howdy, Tigers!
Fightin’ Texas Aggie here looking for some direction. My son and I decided (last minute) to make the trip for Sept7th. Being a late decision, hotels are booked except a few on outskirts of town ( Lavonia, Ga,etc). Can anybody give me some direction as to unsafe areas to stay away from? Also looking for “don’t miss” stuff for our trip regarding campus, tailgating, restaurants. See y’all on the 7th! GIG ‘EM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Aggie seeking info about Clemson game day

Aug 12, 2019, 11:54 AM

Unsafe areas in Clemson? As far as being on campus or in the general area on game day I can't say any exist really.

Can't miss I would take a walk around the campus in the morning, find a good tailgate to join in on, and maybe go through downtown for a beer. Everyone on here will say the Esso Club but it turns into a crowded mess on gamedays, just my opinion.

The game is at 3:30 so you won't necessarily have all day, get in early (like 8-9) and beat the traffic! Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here you go

Aug 12, 2019, 11:56 AM

Enjoy your visit, well all but 3-4 hours of it.

https://tigerpregameshow.blogspot.com/2019/08/a-guide-to-clemson-weekend-for-texas.html

Clemson is small enough it really doesn’t have a seedy side to avoid

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Stay away from Columbia, SC and Atlanta, GA

Aug 12, 2019, 12:01 PM

Every where else is relatively safe.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Best bet for

Aug 12, 2019, 12:08 PM

Hotels is Greenville. Great southern city. Hour away (if you leave early). Getting 100,000 fans into and out of tiny Clemson is no small feat. Parking will be a real challenge. You love every minute of your stay in Tigertown. Hope you post on tnet about your trip. I also hope that the Tigers win!

Add Spartanburg to that list.

Aug 12, 2019, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Stay away from Columbia, SC and Atlanta, GA ]

The only place in Clemson that is not safe for the Aggies is on the field during the game.

Aug 12, 2019, 12:05 PM

Maybe just stay in Greenville? Downtown. Great area for restaurants and bars.

Go Tigers!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2019, 12:10 PM

Lavonia is a pretty quiet place, stay close to the interstate and you should be ok. I do recommend you look up Gumlog BBQ near Lavonia to eat Friday its a little hidden but great food. Coming into Clemson from Lavonia you will either want to map using exit 11 or exit 14 off of I85 when you cross in to SC.

Aug 12, 2019, 12:11 PM

Stay in Greenville for sure. Downtown would be nice, but more expensive, so maybe stay at a Hampton Inn or similar a couple of miles from the city and go downtown for dinner and to walk around.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2019, 12:15 PM

We fly into Atlanta late Friday night (10:00Pm). Will drive toward Clemson to get a hotel. Saw some online in LaVonia, Ga. Hope that’s s safe area. Plan is to get to campus early (9:00am ish) and take in the tailgate scene. Met a bunch of you fine folks last year in College Station. Learned all about the $2 bill story! What a GREAT college fan base story! Hope to find a good lunch spot and a cold beer. Looking forward to the 7th. GIG ‘EM

Aug 13, 2019, 11:36 AM

Yeah, Lavonia is a very safe little town, just an of-the-interstate traditional Georgia town. Nothing really going on over there.

Aug 12, 2019, 12:15 PM

I don't know if you tried to find a hotel in Seneca, SC or not but it's less than 10 miles to Clemson. I saw in an earlier post from an Aggie that they were staying in Seneca. Seneca would definitely put you closer to the happenings around Clemson.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't want to miss yell practice on Bowman Field

Aug 12, 2019, 12:16 PM

in front of Tillman Hall. Starts at midnight and lasts until the Tiger faithful are sufficiently charged up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Smokin' Pig

Aug 12, 2019, 12:24 PM

I would recommend going to the Smoking Pig to eat if you've got time on Saturday.

Clemson is a very safe place to wander around.

Aug 12, 2019, 12:33 PM

What are suggestions about parking? Should I try and buy a parking pass or will there be sufficient public parking if I get to campus early on Saturday?

Buy a pass for sure if possible. Some are shuttle lots, so

Aug 12, 2019, 12:44 PM

just be aware if you buy a cheap pass, it's gonna be an awful walk.

If you don't buy a pass, park downtown Clemson off college ave. That's where you'll find the most availability to just pay $50 or so in a parking lot. It's not a terrible walk. Parking is a nightmare in Clemson.

Also, don't be in a hurry to get out of town after the game

Aug 12, 2019, 1:17 PM

Traffic is always bad. You can sit in your car for an hour or two, or walk around and relax for the same time. I always wonder why people are in a rush to leave.

Re: Also, don't be in a hurry to get out of town after the game

Aug 12, 2019, 1:40 PM

I usually just tailgate a little more after the game. Even late games I'll keep a couple of steaks to cook before packing up and leaving. By the time I'm done with the steaks the traffic is cleared and it's easy driving.

I usually just leave at halftime like everyone else

Aug 12, 2019, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Also, don't be in a hurry to get out of town after the game ]

at Clemson.

Aug 12, 2019, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Aggie seeking info about Clemson game day ]

Clemson iptay football website is a great spot for info for all things gameday related

http://www.iptaycuad.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28510&ATCLID=211733741

Aug 12, 2019, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Aggie seeking info about Clemson game day ]

Here ya go my friend. Free Parking and you will walk right through downtown and Campus. Be there by 8:30 - 9am for this game. Larry W. Abernathy Waterfront Park, 207 Keowee Trail, Clemson, SC 29631

Aug 12, 2019, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Aggie seeking info about Clemson game day ]

Here ya go my friend. Free Parking and you will walk right through downtown and Campus. Be there by 8:30 - 9am for this game. Larry W. Abernathy Waterfront Park, 207 Keowee Trail, Clemson, SC 29631

Aug 12, 2019, 12:36 PM

Greetings from a fellow Texan! As a Clemson Alum now living in FL, I can identify with trying to get info on where to go etc. for the game. Try getting a hotel in or near Commerce, GA on I-85 if you're driving or flying into ATL. If you get a parking pass for a lot just north or preferably northwest of the stadium, you can get out of town and take some back roads using your GPS without fighting a ton of traffic and be back in about an hour.

As for the BBQ; it's just different. Try the pork with a mustard based sauce!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2019, 12:42 PM

There is a parking map on the websites that will be helpful. Post where you are parking and we will help you with directions. Gameday can be a zoo for newcomers ...... but what’s more fun than a zoo????

Hey Aggie, my brother in law is an Aggie and is going....

Aug 12, 2019, 12:55 PM

with us to the game (we all went to the game in Texas last year). I agree to maybe stop by the famous Esso Club to say you had been there but then head to a tailgate. We are in lot 2 behind the the north (visitor stands) in spaces 106 and 107 the first row against a stand of trees. Look for a champagne Suburban and a pepperdust Suburban. We would love to have you as guests!

Re: Hey Aggie, my brother in law is an Aggie and is going....

Aug 12, 2019, 1:34 PM

Thank you for the invite. We may very well take you up on your kind offer. Will see how the day unfolds. I took a screen shot of your location and will try to swing by. Thanks again.

To get back to Georgia and visit Esso your best parking

Aug 12, 2019, 2:48 PM [ in reply to Hey Aggie, my brother in law is an Aggie and is going.... ]

Is probably Snow or new lot across (Lake Lot). I believe there’s a shuttle to the stadium from there and when you leave you’ll head toward Seneca with little traffic compared to other routes.
Esso is a zoo before games but after not as bad and you can probably watch the LSU Texas game there after the game with a smaller crowd and it will be cooler.

Hey man, I've got a shed in my back yard that you can rent

Aug 12, 2019, 3:11 PM

for $215 a night. I'll leave for Clemson at 7:00 am that Saturday, hitch a ride. Come find me at the bar after the game and we'll either part all night or head right back.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2019, 9:15 PM

Stay in Greenville! Its a much nicer area. Beautiful downtown.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I were driving from ATL, I wouldn't drive an hour past Clemson

Aug 13, 2019, 8:08 AM

to Greenville, then another hour back to Clemson. Especially since you are arriving Friday evening! You should be able to find something not too far off I-85, between ATL and Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Try a VRBO west of Clemson, near Table Rock

Aug 12, 2019, 9:50 PM

Easy getting into and out of town going toward Pickens on Game Day.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Try a VRBO west of Clemson, near Table Rock

Aug 13, 2019, 2:17 AM

Definitely check out downtown Greenville. If you have some time the day before or after, check out the stumphouse tunnel. Old train tunnel through a mountain they never finished (Civil War bankrupted the state) that you can walk into. Bring a couple flashlights.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2019, 10:50 AM

I would try Airbnb. They might have some in neighborhoods with just a room and bath, but it is nice to be in town for the whole experience. You can Uber everywhere or call the Tuk Tuk for an unusual experience in town!!

Aug 13, 2019, 1:02 PM

If you’re staying in Lavonia come up 85 and take exit 2 for hwy 59. This takes you through to Seneca (where I live) onto hwy 123. A lot less traffic on this side of Clemson.
Go tigers!

And maybe get lucky & find a place in Seneca or Westminister***

Aug 13, 2019, 7:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2019, 7:17 PM

Been going to Clemson games for almost 15 years now... have hardly missed a home game, maybe 2 or 3... we stay in Greenville and make the drive over. 2 or 3 new hotels opened up this summer so accommodations are easier. More to do and see in G-Ville than Clemson. It's a 30-45 minute drive depending on when you leave to go, but mostly a straight shot over. If you can find a pre parking spot near the stadium that helps alot (look online). Depending on your son's age stop in the Esso Club, located just across the street from the stadium for some pregame spirits and fun... make sure your in the stadium before the festivities, we don't have all the pageantry that A&M has (was really impressed last year with the fans) hopefully you will get the same from the run down the hill... should be electric.

The atmosphere around the stadium is great, plenty of friendly folks that you can stop and have a beer with and talk football...

Hope this helps, enjoy the game....

PS. The drive back is longer than the drive in....

Message was edited by: JPF16®

Brasstown Creek Gathering Place

Aug 13, 2019, 7:20 PM

Between Westminster and Long Creek is the best eating experience you can possibly have in SC. If is worth finding. Great BBQ, sit outside in the shade on a creek. They have horseshoes, and a fire pit. If you kid is a youngin, he’ll love it for sure

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic