Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After watching film, here's my Clemson offense game notes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

After watching film, here's my Clemson offense game notes

Aug 31, 2014, 5:17 PM

QB
-Stoudt is a great QB. As we knew, he's not going to take giant risks (so not going to see the giant rewards either). The pick that Stoudt threw was due to the underneath receiver running the incorrect route (he was clearly supposed to run to the middle of the field to suck the safety over).
-Watson is GOING to be a great QB. There was a handful of plays that he knew for the UGA game, and he executed those and only those plays. The entire playbook is not in his head yet, so his capabilities are limited. He'll likely download a good bit more of the playbook after his execution this week. Overall, a great job.
-Right now, it's clear that Cole is our starting QB, and he very well should be.

WR
-Mike Williams can be DeAndre Hopkins part 2. He's a great receiver and has already showed what he can do. He has become a very technically sound player and is likely to be our top receiver this year. However, I'm still waiting on him to land a block.
-Germone Hopper is a Jacoby Ford part 2. He's got speed and can see the play developing. His biggest issue comes due to his size with blocking. He blocked his butt off last night, but there were a few blocks that he will have trouble making due to his leverage. The coaches have to find a way to adjust here if he can't hack it. It's possible though (see Adam Humphries), and he's ferocious enough with his blocking that he can make it happen.
-Kyrin Priester is Mike Williams of last year. Not going to be involved too much, but a good receiver to run in occasionally for a big play.
-Artavis Scott is going to catch a few balls per game this season. He has some yard-after-catch capabilities and may become a solid 4th option in the receiver corps (behind Williams, Humphries, and Peake).
-I have no idea why Peake wasn't open more often than he was. I think Georgia really keyed in on him, which led to other folks getting the ball. They may have memories of Peake scoring on them last year and decided to defend him well.

RB
-DJ Howard is not going to be our big play back and has some trouble maintaining a block. He is going to be the guy that can be counted on for 3-4 yards per play. He's small and gets banged around quite a bit on the field.
-CJ Davidson is our better option at RB. Capable of breaking a big play while agile enough to re-direct any play to an open area of the field. I see him getting most of the carries before the season is over with. Not our best option with blocking though.
-Wayne Gallman will have the same amount of playing time than CJ Davidson did last year. I see Wayne becoming more of a factor toward the end of the season once he has more experience under his belt and once the coaches have developed a good package for him. He isn't very good at blocking in pass coverage, which is exactly what they were using him for late in the game.
-It was great to see Kurt Fleming come in for a short yardage situation (esp on the goal line). He definitely throttled the kid that he hit (the play went about 2 gaps to his left, so his hit didn't affect the play too much). I'm not sure what the coaches will decide, but from this game it looks like Kurt will be the additional blocking power necessary on 3rd and short along with Seckinger or McCullough.

TE
-Jay Jay McCullough is our best blocker at TE, not too much ahead of Seckinger. However, McCullough is our worst receiving option at TE. I see his main role being the wing-back a lot this season for the bone-crushing hit on 3rd and short.
-Stanton Seckinger has made his blocking a lot better since last season (probably due to the weight gain). This is going to open up the playbook for Seckinger a lot more this season since he can be used as a receiver or a blocker. Staton is clearly our best every-down option at TE.
-Jordan Leggett is one of our better receiving TEs, yet, he's by far our worst blocker. Jordan got pushed around quite a bit and hardly ever pursued an on-coming defender with more than the backside of his shoulder. If you can't block, you're likely not going to get any receptions either (many of you thought he would be our top receiver in this game...check his stats -- 0 receptions).

OL
-Webster missed quite a few blocks and got pushed around quite a bit when he was in. He has a great initial contact, but has trouble maintaining the block for more than a few seconds. Sometimes he looks lost on the field. He is our weak point on most downs.
-Ryan Norton was up and down the entire game. He'd start off making great plays and then he'd completely miss a blitz. Guillermo wasn't better than Norton, so Norton is clearly our center. Guillermo wasn't bad, but kept getting torched on the blitz.
-Joe Gore did a lot better than I expected with the plate he was handed. Not too bad.
-Isiah Battle is good, but there are a handful of plays that he took off (one being the holding that was nearly a safety and another being the holding that turned out to be a sack on Stoudt to begin the 4th quarter). If he's supposed to be our foundation on the O-line, I'd be giving him a ear-full this week.
-Kalon Davis does great when he pulls down the line and has a lot of situational awareness with everything going on. He did a great job with adjustments during the play. His biggest issue is that he is not fast enough to get out to the flats on a screen.

Overall, I think offense was our weak point in this game (special teams is debatable), which caused the fallout on defense. I think the UGA loss might actually help our season more than it hurt it. UGA will win a lot of games this season, so the loss won't hurt as much as it would have in the BCS system. UGA will likely win the SEC East, and maybe even the SEC. FSU looks beatable based on the first game and everyone else on our schedule looks like we could take them.

11-1 is still a possibility this season (the hardest game obviously being @ Tallahassee).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After watching film, here's my Clemson offense game notes

Aug 31, 2014, 5:22 PM

I agree w everything except that we can easily go 11-1... I think we can, no doubt, but there will be nothing easy about winning in Tally.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2014, 5:23 PM

Yep. If we get through Tally, we're in a good position to make a run. That is a big IF though.

Aug 31, 2014, 5:26 PM

Yes, if we win there we should go 11-1..

Aug 31, 2014, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Re: After watching film, here's my Clemson offense game notes ]

Oh and Mike Williams isn't quite Nuk part 2 yet but can be... Nuk didn't drop passes and caught anything remotely near him. Mike will be a stud overtime though and our receiving corp is stacked and another great class on the way in..

You might want to re-check that

Aug 31, 2014, 5:25 PM

Let me know if you want a reel of plays where Nuk was dropping them early on.

Re: You might want to re-check that

Aug 31, 2014, 5:28 PM

Nuk wasn't dropping passes in his sophomore year. . Either way, Williams is going to be a stud and we will be loaded next yr considering the only wr we lose this year will be Adam bc I don't see Peake leaving early.

Re: You might want to re-check that

Aug 31, 2014, 5:38 PM

Did Mike have the same playing time as Nuk his freshman year? Nuk was THE receiver his freshman year and played a ton of minutes. Mike probably played about 10% of that time.

It's not really fair to compare the two as sophomores.

How many passes did Mike drop, btw?

Aug 31, 2014, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Re: After watching film, here's my Clemson offense game notes ]

One play was a clear helmet on the ball. No one can catch that.

Aug 31, 2014, 5:23 PM

Maybe it's me, Stoudt releases the football very slow and doesn't have that "zing" to it like Boyd or DW.

Aug 31, 2014, 5:26 PM

I disagree. Time it when you compare film and let me know. He looks like his release is faster than Boyd's.

Aug 31, 2014, 5:29 PM

> I disagree. Time it when you compare film and let me
> know. He looks like his release is faster than Boyd's.

Then, maybe its the slow lobs he throws. They look very slow.

Aug 31, 2014, 5:35 PM

To me it is slow recognition more than anything.

Aug 31, 2014, 5:39 PM

I'm going to have totally disagree about the asseenf of Seckinger and Leggett. I mean unless I read the numbers wrong, which I don't think I did, Seckinger was a detriment blocking for most of the game. Leggett didn't blow me away but he seemed to at least be capable. Even caught him standing up Lorenzo Carter on one play. Also disagree about Norton/Guillermo. I believe when Norton started failing is when our offense started failing. He could not handle their NT 1v1. Guillermo at least had the strength to make it a fight.

Aug 31, 2014, 5:54 PM

Watch the film again on Seckinger/Leggett. Be sure you have their jersey numbers right. I feel like you got the two mixed up some. It's very clear.

And I'll completely disagree with you on Norton/Guillermo. Again, watch it again and let me know if you think differently.

I agree with Purple

Aug 31, 2014, 6:02 PM [ in reply to Re: After watching film, here's my Clemson offense game notes ]

Also, Gore is not a capable OT. He has marginal feet and not near enough upper body strength to play against elite teams. I realize we have no option but he is a huge weakness along a weak OL. We don't have enough numbers or skill on the OL to be much better than average.

And I watched the OL a LOT during the game.

Your Secklinger can block comment is frankly hilarious if it weren't so sadly wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for doing this for us.

Aug 31, 2014, 5:42 PM

I know it took a lot of time, and it's appreciated.

GO TIGERS!!!!!

Most intelligent and level headed post of the weekend!

Aug 31, 2014, 5:59 PM

Everything you said hit the nail on the head. You may catch flak from some of the coots and less intelligent and fair weather tiger fans but everything you said was spot on. Watson will be amazing for us but you don't just throw him in there at this point, I think he will play more and more as the season progresses but now isn't the time to throw cole under the bus, while he was shaken and pretty slow yesterday, the field position and the way plays were calls didn't exactly give him a chance to shine and him getting happy feet and not looking to receivers downfield came from being rattled, people act like it was his anything but his first start and on the road in Athens at that.

Aug 31, 2014, 6:09 PM

Nice summary. The one thing I noticed some time in the 2nd quarter was Stoudt staring down the receivers. Seemed to me like every time... especially after that interception (which seems the opposite of what *should* happen).

Anyway, I haven't come across others mentioning it... so maybe I'm wrong?

Aug 31, 2014, 6:15 PM

That's a lot of great...UGA must be what?. Really great.??

Aug 31, 2014, 6:32 PM

I don't see your point. You can have areas of your game that are good, but not other areas. It seems like you're just trying to be mean -- which is fine. I can take it.

It'd be more constructive if you made sense though.

AikenC have fun losing to ECU with your god awful defense

Aug 31, 2014, 7:05 PM [ in reply to Re: After watching film, here's my Clemson offense game notes ]

and offense that can do nothing but throw up prayers and hope someone runs by a db or you get a bullshite pass interference call.

Aug 31, 2014, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Re: After watching film, here's my Clemson offense game notes ]

I was watching for the same thing, but it's hard to tell with the camera. You could tell he was cycling through his progressions, but not a lot of plays in Chad's offense have more than 2 options (base on a read from one guy...ie. the safety) in addition to a dump-off receiver.

Aug 31, 2014, 7:37 PM

####!! SON!! You outta be a nfl scout with that analysis!!!

10-2 is a possibility still

I thought OK st moved the ball almost @ will againist Fla st,but maybe(just maybe) OK st has a ''slightly'' better O-line than us. Crab boy wasn't that impressive(2 int) his only primary target seems to be greene and maybe the little cub,o'leary. All that said... still think it'll be hard to win in tally

Sep 2, 2014, 12:07 AM

Great stuff!!! I agree - man you need to be a scout and write post game analysis for TNet!!!

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic