Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After rewatching the Auburn game...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

After rewatching the Auburn game...

Sep 5, 2016, 2:15 AM

...I've come away more impressed with our win. It's amazing how different it is watching a game knowing the end the result. The offense was a little off. That's for sure. But they answered the bell every time they had to. When Auburn scored the first points, our offense came back to take the lead. Once Auburn scored in the 3rd Qtr and appear to have some momentum, our offense answered with a TD. Then when Auburn scored the late TD, our offense put together a gutsy drive that should have ended the game but Gallman made a mental mistake.

Also, Watson play was better than what the numbers show. On those drives in which we answered he made some high quality throws. The throw to Renfrow was just ridiculous and Renfrow helped out by being sure-handed as well. Also, on the last drive, we had a 2nd and 4. Watson goes back to pass and is immediately pressured. He sidesteps a defender and then scampers for a 1st down. Instead of 3rd and long, we get a 1st down. Three plays later he hits Williams on 3rd and 8 for another 1st down. In the toughest moments in this game, Watson came through. That last drive could have been a 3 and out with Auburn having over 2 minutes. Even though we had errors on the last 2 plays, we only left them 40 sec on the clock.

Like most, I expect more from our offense b/c we are just too good to put up just 19 points. But when it mattered the most, we made the plays that mattered. To me, that's impressive and encouraging.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

our offense has a tendency to score almost every time

Sep 5, 2016, 2:30 AM

they're behind or tied. Certainly that was what happened in the FSU game, as well as both the ACCCG and the Natty.

There seems to be much more urgency fro the play-callers, the QB, and all the way down to the OL when they're behind. But too many possessions are going by the wayside when we're ahead and could be putting games away.

There's going to come a day, I'm afraid, that they're going to need some points and won't be able to respond.

Re: our offense has a tendency to score almost every time

Sep 5, 2016, 3:02 AM

OH LAWD!!! We better get some Coaches that can coach em up and fix this ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That has happened to every team that has ever played the game.

Sep 5, 2016, 7:58 AM [ in reply to our offense has a tendency to score almost every time ]

Every single one, ever. It is a certainty.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: our offense has a tendency to score almost every time

Sep 5, 2016, 8:30 AM [ in reply to our offense has a tendency to score almost every time ]

Yes, I understand your concern about not wanting possessions to go by the wayside. But the encouraging fact is that we do respond. I can remember when teams would score first and then instead of responding, we would falter. I agree that we can't make a living that way. But it's nice to know that we have the ability to respond when we have to.

Re: After rewatching the Auburn game...

Sep 5, 2016, 5:29 AM

I did't need to watch the replay to know 19 points won't win us many ball games.
And I could care less about last year.
Notre Dame,even in defeat on the road put up 37 points in regulation,and Bama on a neutral sight
had 56.
Clemson ,at times,does struggle on offense.
They need to find a way to put a few games away by half.

Sep 5, 2016, 6:09 AM

I don't understand some of you guys...comparing Auburn to USC or Texas? Auburn has THE BEST DL and the best overall defense we will face all year long! Yes, better than FSU, and better than that vaunted Bama defense. As atrocious as they were last season they still held Bama and Ole Miss to 20-some odd points, and in the bowl game against a very good, high scoring Memphis squad...they held to a mere 10 points.

It was clear our OC's wanted to eastablish the run game, which eventually worked in our favor by helping to keep some drives going. Airing it out it the first game would have led to more 3 and outs, and eventually would have worn down our defense. We carried the ball nearly 50 times into the teeth of 5* talent and was successful at it! We don't need to score 50 to get back to Tampa. We need to be smart in our approach to the game, and we were.

Like it or not, Kevin Steele had the defense prepared in a big way, and it wasn't hard to tell. It was the first game of the season, at night, in a hostile environment...and we came away with the win, against a top ranked defense! We missed out capitalizing on some great opportunities, but when it mattered most our offense came through!

Shout out our defense too...many of you would like to believe Auburn was terrible on offense, but that's just not the case. They have talented recruits across the board as well. Holding them under 100 yards rushing with the many different formations, misdirections and the QB carousel was a big win IMO. This will only make us better down the stretch, preparing us for a road trip to Tallahassee in October. WE WILL be ready! WE WILL be back! WE WILL take what's ours! BELIEVE! Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 5, 2016, 8:36 AM

You make some good points. The only one thing I differ on is that FSU has a better defense than Auburn. FSU has studs on the line and in the secondary. Auburn secondary wasn't the best in my opinion.

Sep 5, 2016, 6:30 AM

I think the biggest difference is tempo. When we play fast we move the ball better. When we slow it down the defense gets to rest and they have time to get set. They have time to digest what defense to get in to best stop the play. Split seconds make a big difference. We will be scary good. I think Auburn will have a good year and they had a lot of great players who made a lot of great plays. Their head coach pulled out all the tricks in the game and our defense really answered the bell. We could have put the game away earlier, but it didn't happen. We will learn from it and move on. One game at a time and get better as the season goes on. Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 5, 2016, 7:46 AM

Two of the three touchdowns were made possible by foolish hits out of bounds. One by Auburn and one by the real Tigers . Need to clean that up. The game plan was very basic. Perhaps it was because of it being the first game. Bottom line- Auburn is a tough place to play every coach will tell you that. Glad MY team had what it takes to win. Go Dabo

Sep 5, 2016, 7:45 AM

Good comments from OP and other post as well. This game seemed much like Louisville game last year. Am looking forward to next week.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Echo same

Sep 5, 2016, 8:20 AM

I said it earlier but you broke it down to specs and plays. His scampers, escapes and timely pinpoint throws were the difference, and the throw to Renfrow was NFL ridiculous - under full blitz and off his back foot. And no one has mentioned much he had some other perfect endzone zingers that he dropped right into receivers' hands and they dropped the balls.

Re: Echo same

Sep 5, 2016, 8:46 AM

Yes, he threw at least 2 very nice throws to Mike Williams that were dropped. One was a slant pass that was humming and right in Williams' chest. Couldn't have been prettier.

Re: Echo same

Sep 5, 2016, 9:34 AM

Mike also made a few great catches because of the throws too. A good receiver makes a quarterback look better. We have a great group of guys that are all in and are going to bring home a trophy. As far as the kicking game, I will chalk it up to first game jitters. Being hung to a light pole for seats, I couldn't see why they blocked the extra point kick. I did see the high snap, but we still made the fantastic three points, so that could easily been a miss. Maybe the other sp team blunders are fixed, but it was just that bad night. Time will tell.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic