Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After a day of silently ruminating ....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

After a day of silently ruminating ....

Oct 8, 2014, 6:17 AM

...I've come to a few conclusions:

1. A Silent Treatment would be either the coolest thing on Earth, or it would be a dismal distraction to everyone at Clemson.

2. The ability to create the best opportunity for a Silent Treatment rests in the hands of the administration and Central Spirit, not social media. Social media would be a valuable tool in spreading the word, but without official sanction, chances of success are remote.

3. If the overlords at Clemson would like to see this happen, they need to say so. If we don't hear any sort of buzz from higher powers, I'd say they aren't really on board.

4. Personally, and only personally, I believe that game vs. ND in 1977 was a map-changer at Clemson. It galvanized a powerful weapon that has become legend at Clemson for nearly 40 years ... the power of the Clemson Family to effect change on the field. If a Silent Treatment is used to help a new generation rediscover that power and recommit to its use to create mayhem among our foes, then I'd go to the mat to help it succeed. If it's being used only to say, "Hey! Look at us being cute!" It is bound to fail.

4a. Is there anyone still walking this Earth who was there at the ND game who wouldn't love to see a similar moment? (Aside from the final outcome, of course!) Now, is there anyone who was there who would disagree that it was done not for show, but for dedication? It was a mass gathering to defend our team and our home, not a gimmick. If a Silent Treatment is a gimmick, it will fail. There are people who take Clemson football far too seriously to bawlderdize the game day experience in such a fashion. If you want this to succeed, make it mean something to fans ... just as Dan Devine's threats and high-and-mighty pomposity slapped the collective faces of your dads and grand-dads.

5. Above all, remember that we are here to serve the Sons of Clemson in their disembowelment of our foes. Whether we are to be silent until the cannon may not be clear, but let there be NO DOUBT what is to be done afterward.

Rip 'em up!
Tear 'em up!
Tigers, give 'em ####!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As usual, Rev is right on point.

Oct 8, 2014, 7:29 AM

I was there on that day - November 12, 1977. It was truly special and may only be a once in a lifetime event, that I was lucky enough to be a part of.

To a great extent it is similar to probably my other MOST special day in Death Valley (they all are special) the day of the Orange pants unveiling.

Like the Orange pants, do you keep it special or do you end up overusing something until it is not special and becomes gimmicky?

It is a tough answer. As you say, this decision is on Central Spirit, the band and higher ups.

We'll always have the 1977 Silent Treatment to remember!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

We did a silent out thing vs NC in BB when I was in school

Oct 8, 2014, 7:58 AM

and we won.

Littlejohn is a different bird than the Valley. And NC in BB is a lot bigger target...one of the biggest.

I say we show this newby coach and team who's the boss from opening kick to final whistle and shut them down and send them back knowing who owned who.

If you want to be quiet ahead of time, fine.....but when those busses come around - get insane - and don't let up.

Let them know they won't be thankful for what they are about to receive.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We did a silent out thing vs NC in BB when I was in school

Oct 8, 2014, 8:21 AM

I think that was Duke

Jan 1 , 1985.... my freshman year

Oct 8, 2014, 8:51 AM

52-50 Us

Re: After a day of silently ruminating ....

Oct 8, 2014, 8:03 AM

In all honesty, I think it is crazy to do the silent treatment until the cannon sounds. Want to be quite during warm ups etc fine but when the team starts to load the buses for the hill all hell needs to break loose. I cannot imagine the team at the top of the hill and everything is silent.
Personally I don't see why we are giving UL and Petrino so much special attention. Let's just be loud as hell from a fan perspective and line up and kick their #### from a team perspective and be done with it.

Oct 8, 2014, 8:23 AM

If you were not there the only time this has happened then you have NO clue.

When the cannon goes off then you'll hear loud.

The ND game was the loudest I've ever heard at Clemson

Oct 8, 2014, 8:46 AM

Obviously you were not at the Miami game.

Oct 8, 2014, 8:55 AM

Obviously you think Clemson football started in the 21st century.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I was at both ... it's a tough call

Oct 8, 2014, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Re: After a day of silently ruminating .... ]

Miami was a tremendous game, no doubt. I've heard some of the FSU games were ear-splitters as well.

One of the reasons the ND game is so revered by those who were there is that it was the first time the weapon of crowd noise was truly marshaled at Clemson. Simply there had been nothing like it before.

And remember, there were a good 20,000 fewer voices there for that game.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at both games ....

Oct 8, 2014, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Re: After a day of silently ruminating .... ]

Looking back, the thing that was so impressive about the Notre Dame noise level, at least for me, is that it was before the days of the upper decks when Death Valley only held about 60,000 and I can tell you from direct first hand experience it was just as loud then as if was for the Miami game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Very well said

Oct 8, 2014, 8:05 AM

And I think the point about this being a social media driven event should be emphasized. Unless it's coming from official sources, a silent out is not going to work.

Cliffs please***

Oct 8, 2014, 8:06 AM

If you do the silent thingy,

Oct 8, 2014, 8:26 AM

don't frack it up!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Re: If you do the silent thingy,

Oct 8, 2014, 8:47 AM

I was at the ND game. It was creepy then and will be creepy now. No way it had anything to do with the decibel level during game action. What motivates the players is what's most important, and this will have no effect. It won't happen any way, so it's a moot point. Just say no to the quiet thing. Sorry for being a party pooper, but that's my personal opinion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're not raining on the parade, you're living in reality.***

Oct 8, 2014, 8:48 AM

null

As always, reality is overrated.

Oct 8, 2014, 8:58 AM

In reality, the pretzels are stale and the beer is Coors Light.

Who wants to live there?

Pffft! That's not MY reality, Rev!

Oct 8, 2014, 9:09 AM

Bleh.

But the reality is as you stated - a "Silent Out" is nearly impossible these days and if it were to be attempted, as you said, it would NEED the full support of a unifying organization like the Athletic Department or Central Spirit, and even then it would probably need a few weeks of heavy marketing. People marvel at the power of Social Media...fine...but that absolute best case scenario for that tool is that you get 70% of the people to commit, a weirdly subdued Death Valley until the cannon fires and then a lot of discussion among fans about what the heck just happened (or didn't happen?) while our team starts colliding with the Cardinals.

null

Also, there is no Silent Treatment this weekend. None.

Oct 8, 2014, 8:48 AM [ in reply to If you do the silent thingy, ]

Zippo.

Print that. Tweet that.

null

Death Valley doesn't do cutesy...its got to be a "Tiger

Oct 8, 2014, 8:53 AM

stalking, ready to pounce" silence.......

...and when we pounce...as you so eloquently put, a "total disembowlment"....something Dexter would be proud of!

When that wave of sound hits the few unfortunate souls from Lville their ears need to bleed! GO TIGERS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2014, 8:56 AM

I too was there in 1977 vs ND as a student and I honestly don't remember the silent treatment. I do remember the decibel level during the game especially during the two penalties against Devine when he walked out onto the field. The silent treatment must not have made much of an impression on me, maybe it was the bourbon/rum, maybe I've blocked it out, or maybe I'm just getting old and afflicted with CRS (can't remember sh*#@t). I say skip the silent treatment and just be loud, but then again not a big fan of all social media has brought to society.

the best thing i remember about that '77 nd game was that th

Oct 8, 2014, 9:02 AM

e next year we went up to south bend and showed those pompous #### aomebeotches that the tigers can take their show on the road

Has anyone even discussed this with the Clemson Admin?***

Oct 8, 2014, 9:39 AM

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic