Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After Thinking It Over, CU/FSU need to Stay in ACC until....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

After Thinking It Over, CU/FSU need to Stay in ACC until....

Jun 12, 2012, 12:14 PM

there is ZERO chance of a move to the SEC or if the ACC is beyond repair…........and I don’t think either of these options have played out.

The Big 12 was on life support last year and now it is the flavor of the month! Seriously? The ACC can be salvaged IMO. I don’t know if doing the things needed will occur, but it can.

Notre Dame absolutely must be part of the equation. Like them or not, they will add a huge level of stability and clout to the ACC. They just will.

I still think Swofford needs to go and bring in someone that has no ties to any ACC school. I think as long as Swofford is in the ACC, the perception of the “Tobacco Mafia” will continue. Adding 2 teams with a new ACC Comish will empower the ACC to be able to renegotiate the ACC TV deal and that seems to be needed.

Income distribution also needs to be looked at with tier 3 rights. Frankly, too many schools are not pulling their weight in football or basketball and should not get an equal cut of the money. UNC and Duke makes a lot of money in BB and should keep a greater cut of the money as an example.

The SEC makes the most sense if FSU and Clemson are to move in both geographical similarities and recruiting. It would be better for the school and better for the fans. I just am not ready to rule out the SEC until they pick the next 2 teams. I think the SEC will take a close look at expansion once the format is decided.

Let the flames begin...............

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

I don't like the idea at all of a move to the Big XII unless

Jun 12, 2012, 12:21 PM

we are part of at least four east coast teams making the move. I think we're playing with fire and selling ourselves short otherwise. There's no need for us to be pioneers with this thing - we're a much stronger and more valuable program than that.

I pretty much agree with everything you stated. The zero chance for the SEC is pretty much just speculation from everyone at this point, though there will be plenty of posters who will want say otherwise.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is an old saying about "Pioneers"...........

Jun 12, 2012, 12:23 PM

They are the ones that ends up with arrows in their backs.........

Yes. The pioneers get the arrows, the settlers get the land.

Jun 12, 2012, 12:28 PM

It's seldom when one accomplishes both.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's the one about sitting still and getting

Jun 12, 2012, 12:28 PM [ in reply to There is an old saying about "Pioneers"........... ]

passed by?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Patience is a virtue? No, that's not it. Steady wins the

Jun 12, 2012, 12:40 PM

race? Not it either. I can't recall.

Seriously, though, I don't think our guys are sitting still on this at all.

If ND come those 3rd tier rights will be back in each

Jun 12, 2012, 12:24 PM

schools hands.That'll be part of the TV deal then.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, which is why ND in the ACC would be big

They bring a lot of influence with TV. They don't have to be "good" to be helpful.

Stay...and make a motion to expel UNC for massive fraud!

I'm waiting for the FBI to step into this one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stopped reading when I saw Notre Dame

Jun 12, 2012, 12:33 PM

Bringing them into a weak conference like the ACC would keep it alive, but we'd have to give up far too much to do it and risk being at even more of a competitive disadvantage.

Re: Stopped reading when I saw Notre Dame

Jun 12, 2012, 12:35 PM

Exactly. Notre Dame won't leave unless we give them a bigger piece of the pie and more freedom than the rest of the ACC schools have. The second you do that, the ACC will have teams looking to get out.

If ND and Penn State are the only two schools that can save the ACC, then the ACC is dead.

The ACC already has teams looking to get out.

Jun 12, 2012, 12:53 PM

Courting Notre Dame should help show the league and its leaders how self-destructive it is to maintain its current revenue sharing structure. Any concessions, I would have to believe, would be enacted league wide and are likely the same things that FSU and us are already asking them to do.

Under the current structure, there is no way Notre Dame would opt to give up a third or more of its value simply to be an ACC member. Despite their Catholic status, they are not the Sisters of Charity. Perhaps this is the opportunity the league needs to fully understand and appreciate the extra needs that top level football programs require to remain competitive.

We are running out of "Worthy" Schools to go after my friend

Jun 12, 2012, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Stopped reading when I saw Notre Dame ]

We are not getting any SEC school to leave, nor will we poach the B1G....There is nothing but crumbs left in the Big East. Lousville may be the best and they are not anything close to ND.........

I don't like taking certain medicines but I do to get better..

Notre Dame is a shot of penicillin in the a$$ for the ACC and you know it

Re: We are running out of "Worthy" Schools to go after my friend

Jun 12, 2012, 12:47 PM

if the shot of penicillin costs so much that you can't afford food, you're gonna die anyway. You're gonna die slower, but you're still gonna die.

If ND were to announce they were joining the ACC before

Jun 12, 2012, 12:48 PM [ in reply to We are running out of "Worthy" Schools to go after my friend ]

we had to make a decision re the Big 12, I would be 100% in favor of staying put. ND is a game-changer and the ACC would get a whole lot richer. Having said that, if Swofturd did something stupid like give the domers carte blanche, then staying wouldn't help us at all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Unless ND gets shut out from a possible playoff berth,

Jun 12, 2012, 12:53 PM

they are coming into the ACC only on their terms.

No flame, but my take:

Jun 12, 2012, 12:39 PM

I don't think Swofford is going anywhere unless the ACC gets raided and either goes away or loses all relevance, which means we're already gone anyway.

I don't think the SEC wants us, what with the coots already in SC; especially if they are working with the Big 12 to decimate the ACC.

Geographically, the ACC and SEC, as they have existed, make more sense; but with the addition of Pitt and Syracuse, much less so. Besides, geography is a secondary concern here - it's all about money and relevance - and I suspect it may be too late for the ACC on both counts.

A few months ago, I though Clemson to the Big 12 was preposterous; not any more.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: After Thinking It Over, CU/FSU need to Stay in ACC until....

Jun 12, 2012, 1:05 PM

Passing on WV really hurt the ACC. Pitt wasnt so bad but Syracuse?? You add Pitt and WV last year and I dont think anyone would be complaining. Yes most all wants ND but I cant see them passing up their money for 13 mil a year with the "promise" of a payment that will average it out to 17. They can get more than that anywhere other than the ACC.
Until we get someone who will negotiate our contract without protecting family at Raycom, the ACC will be 5th at best.

Jun 12, 2012, 1:09 PM

I think you wait and see on the ACC. How will we get passed by if we don't go to the B12. Who else could they invite that adds value like FSU and Clemson.

The only others mentioned are louisville and BYU. I don't think that add much value.

Agreed***

Jun 12, 2012, 1:12 PM

Jun 12, 2012, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: After Thinking It Over, CU/FSU need to Stay in ACC until.... ]

BYU has a national following with the Mormons and is a good football program. Louisville brings basketball clout.

Notre Dame or Ga. Tech just to name a couple***

Jun 12, 2012, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Re: After Thinking It Over, CU/FSU need to Stay in ACC until.... ]

WRONG!!!!!

Jun 12, 2012, 1:15 PM

The anti clemson conference is in trouble.Bringing the you guys and yenzers was a stupid move for football.Big 12 here we come.

Yes. I agree. Y'all need to stay in the ACC. A better fit***

Jun 12, 2012, 1:17 PM

Re: Yes. I agree. Y'all need to stay in the ACC. A better fit***

Jun 12, 2012, 1:20 PM

how is that 15 years of being in the sec doing for you coots. yall can at at least say "look spike, we are in a great conference". at least you have that going for you.

Talk about a good fit!!! They've got that back to back thing

Jun 12, 2012, 1:39 PM

going...back to back probations. Plus, there's the lower academic standards, the oversigning, the arrests....

That is not exactly what I said and Meant........

Jun 12, 2012, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Yes. I agree. Y'all need to stay in the ACC. A better fit*** ]

I am NOT in favor of staying in the ACC if things remain the same. No way.

I am saying that a move to the Big 12 is extreme and will be permanent. There will be no going back nor will the SEC be in the future for the next 20-30 years........So if we go to the Big 12, this has to be the absolute best option all around and I am not quite there yet....close.

As I said, for us to stay in the ACC, I think a lot of changes need to occur to make the financial aspect more balanced. Football Schools like Clemson, FSU and VT make a lot more money in football and should get a bigger cut than Boston College who brings little to nothing.

The SEC need to big the "Big Enchilada" for Clemson. It makes the most sense on all fronts and no move to another conference should occur until this is not an option at all.....

My thoughts on Big 12, SEC and ACC.

Jun 12, 2012, 1:19 PM

I have been a proponent from the get go to go to the Big 12. But, I must admit that I'm getting cold feet because of local recruiting concerns. I think now that recruiting for local (SC, NC and GA) prospects will suffer if we move to the Big 12. I know some people disagree. But, it would have a negative impact on me if I was a local blue-chip athlete. A counter to that is the allure to play in a better football conference. But even then I'm not sure THAT would be enough to overcome the other. Besides, the SEC allure is more powerful, if conference prestige is the deciding factor.

Some want to hold out for the SEC. Yet those people are ignoring the tactical move made by the SEC to destroy the ACC by aligning with the Big 12. It's obvious that if Clemson and FSU left for the Big 12, the ACC would be finished. We would be locked in the Big 12, signing over our grant of rights. And Virginia Tech and NC State would be looking for a new home. Slive's dream of getting into the Virginia and North Carolina markets would be achieved.

Our best bet may be to stay in a Notre Dame included ACC. But to get the domers, we have to push for and get agreement that the future playoff participants must be conference champions.

All in all, these are scary times for Clemson athletics.

Great post ,

Jun 12, 2012, 1:30 PM

wouldn't the SEC's tactical move to destroy the ACC be cemented by bringing in FSU and Clemson?

I personally think it was a big move by both the Big 12 and SEC to destroy the ACC from the beginning. Why else would Texas start begging ND to come. ND has been "rumored" to be the next ACC team since last year.Some rumors even go as far as stating both Cuse and Pit were taken to appease ND.

Re: Great post ,

Jun 12, 2012, 1:36 PM

The ONLY reason that the SEC wants to destroy the ACC is to get into the states of Virginia and North Carolina. Bringing in FSU and Clemson does not get them that.

Agreed***

Jun 12, 2012, 1:46 PM [ in reply to My thoughts on Big 12, SEC and ACC. ]

You are 100% correct !!!***

Jun 12, 2012, 1:35 PM

I just dont believe that the SEC will ever invite Clemson...

Jun 12, 2012, 1:46 PM

Its either make the ACC stronger in football...or hope for an invite from the Big 12. Thats our option I do believe.

ESecPN loves to say CU is an SEC school in the ACC***

Jun 12, 2012, 1:49 PM

Do you have a link?***

Jun 12, 2012, 1:50 PM

Why would I need one ?

Jun 12, 2012, 1:52 PM

ANYONE watching a telecast of a Clemson game on ESecPN hears it every single game.

The money part of the ACC is broke and we are leaning toward

Jun 12, 2012, 2:22 PM

being at a bigger diadvantage than ever if we stay. That is my only concern, especially if the figures of the new TV contract are correct. Only 13 mil a year with a $500,000 increase every year until it hits 17 mil in 2021? That is ludacris and think of how many millions more all SEC and BIG 12 schools would have raked in over that 9-year span compared to us. That doesn't sit well with me.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic