Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Advice needed: Gun dog training
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Advice needed: Gun dog training

Apr 4, 2016, 2:15 PM

Looking for a place that will board/train my boykin. I'd like to be able to bring him along on duck and dove hunts... possibly other small game hunts like rabbit, quail, and squirrels as well, but mostly duck and dove retrieval.

Anyone have EXPERIENCE with a place they've sent their dog that is affordable and produced good results?

TIA

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's a place in Seneca that does great with dog gun

Apr 4, 2016, 2:19 PM

training (pic below)...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: There's a place in Seneca that does great with dog gun

Apr 4, 2016, 2:26 PM

Back when I used to raise Golden Retrievers, Swift Creek kennels was a good place. Ran my dogs in several field trials there. Another is Beaver Creek Kennels in St. Matthews.

Re: There's a place in Seneca that does great with dog gun

Apr 4, 2016, 2:28 PM

http://www.swiftcreekkennel.com/pages/Facilities.htm

http://www.beavercreekkennels.com/

Palmetto Gun Dogs

Apr 4, 2016, 2:22 PM

http://www.palmettogundogs.com/

They are located in Rembert, near Boykin/Sumter

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Advice needed: Gun dog training

Apr 4, 2016, 3:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2016, 4:00 PM

I've hunted at The Old Clinton House Plantation several times and they do an excellent job training bird dogs. Info:

About
Clinton House Hunting Plantation is located at the address Hwy 56 in Clinton, South Carolina 29325. They can be contacted via phone at (864) 833-9013 for pricing, hours and directions.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's just wrong

Apr 4, 2016, 4:38 PM

when dogs are expertly trained to use guns and then everyone blames the 2nd amendment and lax gun laws when they accidentally shoot somebody.

More dogs with guns = safer America!

...with Amber waves of graaaain, Ah-merica Ah-merica....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think it's just wrong

Apr 5, 2016, 8:12 AM

'Murca!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2016, 4:56 PM

Bay Creek Kennels in Hartsville is also very, very good. Google 'em and give Rhett a call. I have first hand experience with this outfit and can tell you that they have a first-class operation. Good luck and happy hunting, my friend. A well trained dog in the field is a wonderful thing.

Apr 4, 2016, 5:23 PM

Your Boykin will make a great upland dove dog.......ducks, not so much

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Apr 4, 2016, 5:36 PM

I agree that Boykins are generally better suited for doves than waterfowl but I have hunted with a couple swamp poodles that could go toe to toe with most labs and chessies. One, in particular, that retrieved 3 limits of ducks and a couple geese for kickers in just abt the worst conditions imaginable. Some dogs simply have more heart than others....sometimes to their own detriment. The owner must be judicious in these situations.

Apr 4, 2016, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Advice needed: Gun dog training ]

This is completely and utterly false. I have been duck hunting with boykins for 20 years. My dogs have been from Canada to the Dakotas to Louisiana. The four males I have had would match any lab when it came to ducks and had no problem retrieving geese. There is only one situation I would take a lab over a Boykin and that is in large sound hunting like the Chesapeake Bay Area. The only other situation is cold but with a dog vest they will do just fine. The only people who say they are not good for ducks have either never owned one or did not get the right one.

Apr 4, 2016, 6:55 PM

Gotta agree......it's the fight in the dog....not the dog in the fight. I've seen some 40# boykins that would ###### a knot in a 100# chessie's ####. Many times...

Apr 5, 2016, 7:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Advice needed: Gun dog training ]

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Apr 5, 2016, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Advice needed: Gun dog training ]

You are completely wrong. My Boykin will outwork any other dog she hunts with. Including most labs. They have a drive that most don't have. Mine excels at dove AND duck.

Apr 4, 2016, 7:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Advice needed: Gun dog training ]

I also want to give a shout out to Rhett. He does great work. Bay creek kennels is my choice by far.

Apr 4, 2016, 7:31 PM

Well, he was taught by one of the best trainers I've ever known. Richard M......a force to be reckoned with.....one never wanted to get on his bad side!

where are you located? Several good ones around SC***

Apr 4, 2016, 5:26 PM

Apr 4, 2016, 5:29 PM

wht not do it your self? I have always enjoyed the training of my doga as much as I have the hunting with them

Apr 5, 2016, 6:27 AM

I trained my own Goldens, mainly for duck hunting, although they would retrieve quail and dove also. My dad raised English Pointers and Setters when I was growing up so I was around it a lot. Thought I did pretty good as they were trained to voice and hand commands but came to realize good breeding stock has just as much to do with it. I realized this one time when shooting woodies on a small private pond. I had winged a duck and when I sent the dog to retrieve it, the duck dove under water. He went after it when it surfaced and it dove again. When it popped up again, he didn't swim directly toward it, but more herded it into shallow water where it couldn't dive, then picked it up and brought it to me. I had nothing to do with teaching him to do that, he "figured it out" on his own.

Another cool dog training story....
When I was training this same male, my oldest daughter was about 4 y/o. As kids are apt to do, she was standing behind me, copying the hand signals I was using during a training session. I walked inside for something and when I came out, she was holding the training dummy and said "Dad, watch this!" She told the dog to sit and stay and tossed the dummy out (not very far, she was only 4). He watched the dummy land, but obeyed her perfectly, remaining sitting beside her. She then gave him the retrieve hand command and he immediately ran to the dummy, picked it up and brought it straight back to her hand. Funny thing is, he would never listen to my wife, not even a simple "sit" command.

Apr 4, 2016, 5:46 PM

can't no boykin run no cotton tail! gotta have dem beagles!

if i were not so heavily invested in rabbit hunting, i would for sure have bird/duck dogs. awesome to watch them work/retrieve.

clinton house would be a good choice. i have couple of friends that have taken dogs there and are very satisfied.

good luck

Apr 4, 2016, 6:07 PM

Abt 20 yrs ago, I hunted with some friends on a barrier isl b/t Chas. and Bft. with some crackerjack beagles. This place was managed primarily for quail, so the habitat was tailor made for rabbits as well. Those beagles were absolutely relentless in their pursuit of coneys and we put a serious hurting on them.....mostly cottontails with a few "marshies" mixed in. The only faint heartedness that I witnessed was a couple of grown men who were squeamish at the # of diamondbacks that decided to come out and enjoy the warm weather. Beagles were made for chasing rabbits....peas and carrots.

Apr 5, 2016, 9:51 AM

oh yeah. i hear that coastal hunts are fun to be sure. i primarily stay west of Columbia, mainly in pines and clear cuts. occasionally we'll get into some leftover farm land and its always a pleasant change. its nice to be able to see the dogs work in the open for a change.

I grew up

Apr 5, 2016, 8:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Advice needed: Gun dog training ]

with beagles and rabbit hunting. Use to be a lot of fun and we had some amazing dogs. Now around where I live the land is so divided up that even running rabbits which tend not to stray far from their hole, the dog can and will go on other people's land and then GW is pulling up.

Great story on a beagle:

I had one named Rosebud. She was a good ol girl. Really really fat (never could get her to slim down) and her belly drug the ground when she walked. When we would let her out she would find the first mud hole and plop down in it. My step uncle wanted to take her to a field trial since she was really good at running rabbits (when she felt like it). When he took her out the dog box, everybody in the place busted out laughing and saying that fat ### dog won't do anything. She came in 5th out of about 300 dogs. Nobody was laughing as we were pulling away.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: I grew up

Apr 5, 2016, 9:47 AM

been there done that on the trial situation, haha. i trialed for one season and just realized it wasn't for me. too much time and politics and folks that take it a little too serious. Good guys for the most part. i've raised and hunted beagles my whole life thanks to my dad who has done it since the 50's here in the upstate. He now hunts off a bad boy buggy with us, pretty funny to watch him shoot. Millions of memories to be sure. My line up of hunters has changed over the years but to this day i still have folks that have hunted with me in the past come up to me and reminiscence about trips from 20 years ago that i had forgotten about. Good times.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic