Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Shoe contracts...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Shoe contracts...

Jun 10, 2020, 12:08 AM

I think the Tillman and Calhoun names will be effectively removed from campus...
And I don’t disagree....

Why?
I believe Nuk signed with Adidas and Deshaun signed with Nike ...
It’s only a matter of time before the shoe companies start throwing their weight around on this and similar issues at other college campuses ..

Given the stance Tillman and Calhoun took on volatile issues - I don’t see anything wrong with a name change ,.
These guys weren’t just slave owners (as were many historical figures) - they were vocal about it and historically noted to be so...

The slippery slope logic being applied by many here is pretty fallacious ..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, those international shoe companies with their

Jun 10, 2020, 12:10 AM

international slave labor should have the last word.

Re: Yeah, those international shoe companies with their

Jun 10, 2020, 12:29 AM

Nice response BengalBilly! Black or White if you have a lot of money you can influence a lot of people!! And even make Demands.

I read the article where Tee Higgins is raising money to help black kids with scholarships. I think that is great. But would it be considered racism if a white athlete started a scholarship program for white kids only.???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2020, 12:41 AM

“Nike has provided apparel for all Clemson sports since 2002. This agreement will extend that partnership through the 2027-28 academic year. It will grant the athletic department more than $58 million in apparel allowances, direct cash payouts and royalties.”

Cut and paste

I’m not trying to say Nike has the moral high ground ... but they do have economic power..

They also have contracts with about 70% of CFB teams ...

Jun 10, 2020, 12:50 AM

Total FBS Breakdown
Nike – 69 (53.1%)
Adidas – 39 (30%)
Under Armour – 22 (16.9%)

Power 5 Breakdown
Nike – 42 (64.6%)
Adidas – 12 (18.5%)
Under Armour – 11 (16.9%)

The 70% I used was outdated... here are the numbers from 2019

As I stated - if Nike and Adidas throw their economic weight around it will matter...

I am having difficulty seeing how the producer...

Jun 10, 2020, 12:52 AM

applies economic pressure to the consumer. Seems like it would work the other way around.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am having difficulty seeing how the producer...

Jun 10, 2020, 1:34 AM

applies economic pressure to the consumer. Seems like it would work the other way around.

Nike has provided apparel for all Clemson sports since 2002. This agreement will extend that partnership through the 2027-28 academic year. It will grant the athletic department more than $58 million in apparel allowances, direct cash payouts and royalties.

Cut and paste

Money is flowing from Nike to Clemson... not Clemson to Nike....

Jun 10, 2020, 8:09 AM

Do you believe that Nike supplies these shoes and apparel out of the goodness of their heart? You talk like if Nike grandstands, and were to make an example of Clemson for their wicked past, that there wouldnt be every other shoe company lined up to have Clemson wear their shoes? I agree Nike has a lot of Clout and does a lot of preaching and finger pointing, (something about glass houses and stones...i can't remember it all) but Clemson has a lot of clout as well. Money (being in the National championship game while wearing their shoes and apparel most of the last few years) is flowing to Nike from Clemson in the form of advertising. I'm sure Nike doesnt get the return on their investment from all schools, but i would be shocked if they felt that way about Clemson.

Jun 10, 2020, 10:38 AM

Not in the least do I believe Nike does anything out of “the goodness of their heart”...
Which other shoe company will be lining up?

It may take time - but let’s play this out (hypothetically)...
Let’s say most of the schools in the south fall in line with name/statue changes etc...
All the while - two hugely popular football players are encouraging Clemson to rename some things... two players (former Clemson players no less) that have endorsement deals with Nike and Adidas (who together also happen to have most all the CFB business) ...

Clemson stays stubborn - while the SEC falls in line ... at what point does Nike say - we think the association with Clemson is bad for our brand? And if that happens- which shoe company will jump up and sign us??

You have many massive corporations taking a stand ....
Deshaun is Nike endorsed and about to become one of the faces of the NFL...

Deandre is by many accounts the top receiver in the NFL and Adidas affiliated...

It’s not a stretch to imagine shoe companies throwing their significant economic clout around ...

I could be entirely wrong - none of this is guaranteed but it’s not far fetched either...

Jun 10, 2020, 10:46 AM

I’ll add this ...
Google the actions already being taken by Nike and Adidas in the current social climate ... actions that are more than symbolic gestures ...
You really don’t think they’ll eventually take a position here?

Jun 10, 2020, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Re: I am having difficulty seeing how the producer... ]

First off, great response. I usually steer clear from political post there’s not so much dialogue back and forth as there is name calling and “gotcha” statements.

I just think that Nike isn’t the only power broker in the equation. I believe Clemson is very lucrative to many corporations out there and with the track record of the team on and off the field, that companies would like to have their products advertised by Clemson football.

I could be entirely wrong as well.

I guess the things that sticks in my craw are twofold

1) When is it going to end?

For the record I think Tillman Hall should go back to the original name it had of Old Main. (That’s just my opinion, and it hasn’t always been my opinion, but thru research and discussion on the matter I have changed my mind) I must admit I was not aware of all the bad history behind Ben Tillman when I was a student at Clemson..... it was just Tillman Hall. Tillman Hall seemed to be renamed in a spiteful way during a turbulent time in our countries history.
The John C Calhoun debacle is more troubling to me. We can’t place our present day social values on someone who lived in the early to mid 1800’s. We find it shocking and horrifying today, but That just was not the case then. So we can’t name anything after anyone who was part of our history from the past. Do we name the building after someone who is alive today? Good luck with that! There will be groups pouring over records to find any dirt they can on whoever the building is named after. Calhoun is a part of Clemson History like it or not. Changing the name of the Honors College will not Change that. There has only been one perfect being to walk this earth and you have groups of people who have dedicated their lives to discrediting him, so good luck finding a mere mortal that will stand up to the scrutiny. Once they change the names of a few buildings will that make everyone happy? Will Clemson lose its whole identity in an endless effort to continue to rename itself as more groups come forward? It’s a slippery slope if there ever was one.

2) The bullying by social media and the General media

The second part that is troubling is the way groups and corporations go about getting change. The whole social media bend the knee or we will destroy you act is getting old. They come out with something and say this is how we feel about this situation and if you are so bold as to have a different opinion we will destroy your employment opportunities, label you racist ,homophobic, misogynist etc, etc, etc. and try and inflict any harm we possibly can on you and your organization. The media whether it’s news, movies, music and social media often seems to think there job is to tell me how I should think about every and all things. It’s not about informing and entertaining it become indoctrination, misinformation and divisiveness. It can be overwhelming at times. Sometime we like to watch a sporting event for entrainment purposes and to forget about the hustle and bustle of the world for a few hours and not be preached at that if we aren’t on board with (Insert social happening here) we are in fact part of the problem, not the solution ( I’m looking at you ESPN) Sometimes I just want a pair of shoes that don’t hurt my feet, not having to worry if I am committing a real faux pas by wearing my red, white and blue PF Flyers tennis shoes after their horrid inaction on ( insert endangered species, banana slug, or spotted owl here).

Nuk and Deshaun are very popular public figures, and tho I have never sat down and had an in-depth discussion with either about any topic at all, they seem like solid grounded people. They are entitled to their opinions on this topic as well as each and everyone of us.

why would there be a need for a white kids only scholarship?

Jun 10, 2020, 12:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, those international shoe companies with their ]

I am politically far from supporting any "progressive" political policies, but I understand the need for scholarships for black kids only. I don't see a need for white kids only scholarships.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: why would there be a need for a white kids only scholarship?

Jun 10, 2020, 8:00 AM

Wow, just wow.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wueagle has a Winthrop education, so you can understand

Jun 10, 2020, 11:39 AM [ in reply to why would there be a need for a white kids only scholarship? ]

why he's a little slow.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Adidas and Nike... really?

Jun 10, 2020, 12:50 AM

Adidas and Nike... two companies well known for their use (abuse) of sweatshop labor in Indonesia in the 1990's and early 2000's. But I guess it's okay to receive massive amounts of money from them while promoting the company and prominently displaying their names on your shoes, shirts, pants....

I guess that was a long time ago and it really doesn't matter, now. Hmmm....
BTW, many still question their labor practices abroad.

Jun 10, 2020, 12:56 AM

As I already stated - they don’t have the moral high ground .....
What they do have is a lot of money invested in college football...

Everyone is twisted up about Paul Finebaum... but he’s meaningless ... if/when shoe companies get involved in social issues in CFB it will have an impact...

Nike has already taken a stance in the NFL..
and it didn’t cost them money or contracts ...
Is it a far stretch to imagine them wading into CFB social issues?

Jun 10, 2020, 1:07 AM

I was actually commenting on the first post and making a different point. I'll quote the part I was commenting on, especially the last part.

"I think the Tillman and Calhoun names will be effectively removed from campus...
And I don’t disagree....

Why?
I believe Nuk signed with Adidas and Deshaun signed with Nike ..."

Jun 10, 2020, 1:11 AM

Gotcha ... I’m not saying I agree with Nike and Adidas’ impact ....
I’m just stating that economically I believe they can and will impact CFB...

I am saying I agree with a name change - but for the reasons I stated .. not because of the shoe companies...

I wasn’t very clear in the OP...

Jun 10, 2020, 1:41 AM

I'm saying that I find it interesting that someone can call for name changes of buildings (due to past human rights abuses) while being paid by and being walking advertising banners for companies with very questionable human rights history.

Jun 10, 2020, 1:57 AM

Fair point...
Interesting to note that the typical consumer won’t make that connection though...great marketing by Nike I guess...

Re: Shoe contracts...

Jun 10, 2020, 10:18 AM

Honestly, I'm more concerned how much control shoe companies will soon have over 18 yr old student athletes after this NIL business gets implemented.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic