Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TUA's knee - from Bama Board fwiw
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 10,158

TUA's knee - from Bama Board fwiw

Oct 14, 2018, 5:05 PM

"Re: Tua's Knee
I work for an orthopedic surgeon and one of our surgical device reps told me on Thursday that Tua has a partially torn meniscus to his knee. This type of injury will require a knee arthroscopy or "scope", for those of you not in orthopedics, in his near future. The surgical reps said he knows a few trainers in the athletic department and thats where he got his information from. In my honest opinion, someone who is an orthopedic nurse practitioner, I believe Tua has more than just a knee sprain. He did not look comfortable at the beginning of the game, switched knee braces during the game from a hinged brace to a regular sports support brace, and after his slide had to go into the tent and put the hinge knee brace back on. He was also favorably limping after the game. If this truly is the injury that he has, Dr. Cain or whatever Andrews Sports Physician he chooses, should do the surgery sooner than later. Tua would be out for around 3-4 weeks for recovery and would have him healthy by the end of the season for Auburn/SEC Championship/Playoff's. Yes that would have him sit out the Tennessee Game, and LSU Game, and maybe the Miss State game, and would probably damage his Heisman hopes for this year. It's definitely not an ideal situation, but I would hate for him to damage his knee any further."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TUA's knee - from Bama Board fwiw

Oct 14, 2018, 5:09 PM

Apparently he had it scoped today as well....

Oct 14, 2018, 5:17 PM

Apparently this orthopedic nurse practitioner isn't up to date on his or her HIPAA training.

Oct 14, 2018, 5:21 PM

Under HIPAA rules, it's OK to spread rumors, but not the truth.

Oct 14, 2018, 5:24 PM

Plus there are exemptions for matters of national security like this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Oct 14, 2018, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: TUA's knee - from Bama Board fwiw ]

And, Tua is not a patient of the NP, who is not privy to his chart, thus no violation. Also ok if only for message board ??

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Oct 14, 2018, 5:28 PM [ in reply to Re: TUA's knee - from Bama Board fwiw ]

HIPAA was discussed thoroughly in the thread. If there was a violation (which it appears so) it would from original source, not the poster.

Actually, each of the 3 would be committing a Violation

Oct 14, 2018, 5:42 PM

1) the first guy who shared the information from first hand knowledge would likely be the only one ever charged as it is a primary infraction

But...

2) The middleman who would have had to be HIPAA compliance trained and would be covered by the law as a medical practitioner would have been required (under HIPAA) to recognize the initial violation and not further share the information.

And...

3) if the guy on the message board is a licensed orthopedic nurse as he claims the same infraction would apply to his sharing of the information

At least that is the chain of infractions taught the HIPAA training i’ve had to go through yearly in order to work with medical information in my job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Actually, each of the 3 would be committing a Violation

Oct 14, 2018, 6:25 PM

As someone who also has to go through yearly HIPAA training this is my belief as well. If someone who wasn't a licensed medical provider was providing the second hand information I don't think they'd be liable, but from my understanding providing this information to the general public as a licensed NP with the knowledge that it is confidential medical information is an infraction.

Yep

Oct 14, 2018, 6:47 PM

HIPAA only applies to folks with direct first-hand access to medical information.

However, it still applies to how those individuals manage medical information even if they were to receive it second-hand.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Actually, each of the 3 would be committing a Violation

Oct 14, 2018, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Actually, each of the 3 would be committing a Violation ]

Anyone in that office with access to the EMR (registrars,billing,etc)and leaks any info about the care is subject to HIPAA violations. It does not have to be someone directly involved in the care.

As an RN myself, you sir, are spot on. 100% correct.***

Oct 14, 2018, 9:51 PM [ in reply to Actually, each of the 3 would be committing a Violation ]

Oct 14, 2018, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Re: TUA's knee - from Bama Board fwiw ]

Mascots an elephant not a hippo jk

Oct 14, 2018, 8:01 PM [ in reply to Re: TUA's knee - from Bama Board fwiw ]

He would have to be treating Tia for Hipaa to apply. The person that leaked to the device rep would be the one, if anyone, who is in violation of Hipaa.

Oct 14, 2018, 5:28 PM

A torn meniscus can vary significantly depending on the nature of the tear. This may require a relatively simple procedure to "clean up" the tear by increasing the radii and resulting stress concentration factors at the end of the tear, or it may indicate significant damage and a meniscus that must be at least partially removed. The latter would leave a knee with at least some stability issues and prone to premature degradation of the articulation cartilage of the femoral condyles and tibial plateau.
Hopefully this is not a significant injury, and he takes all of the long and short term ramifications of his choices into account.

Excellent point on the HIPPAA training, just because the young man throws a football doesn't release him from patient privacy!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2018, 5:33 PM

Great info!

The consensus seems to be he will miss left week versus Tenn. Then have the bye week and possibly be ready for LSU.

I want to win as much as the next guy but hate seeing someone having such a great season go down for any length of time.

Guessing Hurts gets his chance to lead them past Tenn.

Unreal..Bama now has Hurts to go to again & we don’t have KB2 at all!

Oct 14, 2018, 7:33 PM

??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unreal..Bama now has Hurts to go to again & we don’t have KB2 at all!

Oct 14, 2018, 11:04 PM

Because Hurts is a team player and KB is.....well, KB.

i tore the meniscus in my left knee 2 years ago mowing my

Oct 14, 2018, 7:39 PM

yard. (yes alcohol was involved) it hurt like a sombitch till i had arthroscopic surgery to fix it. of course i am a lot older than mr. tu tu and prolly not in quite as good of shape.

Re: i tore the meniscus in my left knee 2 years ago mowing my

Oct 14, 2018, 9:23 PM

I tore the meniscus in my right knee several years ago. Had a scope which was successful and it took four to six weeks to be fully healed. My left knee has some issues from running in my in mid-twenties, but currently haven’t had to have any other surgeries.

I feel like Bama will work through this, but LSU will be a test later.

Go Tigers ??!!

I just hope he doesn't do damage to a possible pro career. I

Oct 14, 2018, 9:06 PM

always pull for these players to stay injury free and have the best opportunity to make a living with their talent. They work so hard. Good luck to him.

Replies: 20
| visibility 10,158
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic