Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Universe Likely Has Many Extinct Civilizations: Study
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 372

Universe Likely Has Many Extinct Civilizations: Study

Apr 30, 2016, 10:40 PM

http://news.discovery.com/space/the-universe-likely-has-many-extinct-civilizations-study-160429.htm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alien made global warming must've done them in***

Apr 30, 2016, 10:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i bet they have evolved into needing only 1 bathroom***

Apr 30, 2016, 10:51 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Alien made global warming must've done them in***

Apr 30, 2016, 10:54 PM [ in reply to Alien made global warming must've done them in*** ]

Nonsense, filling an atmosphere with pollutants over decades couldn't possibly have any effect.

Miniscule to little effect

Apr 30, 2016, 10:58 PM

Our planets history proves extreme climate change happens without man

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Miniscule to little effect

Apr 30, 2016, 11:13 PM

at least the mouth breathers have shifted from complete denial of the problem, to just utter ignorance of geological time. I guess that is progress.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Miniscule to little effect

May 1, 2016, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Miniscule to little effect ]

But how to do you know it happened in the past you weren't there?

And just in case the sarcasm isn't clear /s

from an alien interview i guess

Apr 30, 2016, 10:57 PM [ in reply to Alien made global warming must've done them in*** ]

In one of the most unusual -- and highly unlikely -- first-contact scenarios, aliens would be able to recognize us by the level of greenhouse gas emissions we pump into our atmosphere. Not only that, according to a hypothesis put forward by researchers affiliated with NASA and Pennsylvania State University (though not directly tied with either institution), but aliens may use that as cause to wipe out the human race. In this bizarre set of circumstance, aliens view human advancement as a destructive force spiraling out of control. To avoid the threat of a future adversary, extraterrestrials clear out the competition. BLOG: TO SAVE THE GALAXY, DESTROY HUMANITY

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what'd you think happened to Venus?***

May 1, 2016, 6:38 AM [ in reply to Alien made global warming must've done them in*** ]

Re: what'd you think happened to Venus?***

May 1, 2016, 9:16 AM

Re: what'd you think happened to Venus?***

May 1, 2016, 9:18 AM [ in reply to what'd you think happened to Venus?*** ]

co2 levels got so high that the planet became a furnace and uninhabitable by carbon based life?

The fact that it is close to the sun

May 1, 2016, 10:28 AM

Doesn't factor into it lol.

Re: The fact that it is close to the sun

May 1, 2016, 11:31 AM

actually no, that has little to do with it, but i am not surprised you believe this.
it is the density of the atmosphere that holds in solar radiation. After-all, our moon is freezing cold.

uh no crap

May 1, 2016, 11:45 AM

That is why mercury isn't as hot as venus. Mercury's atmosphere was blown away by the sun. You know that sciency thing

and -200 degrees at night

May 1, 2016, 11:50 AM

I know you really want to build an argument that atmospheric CO2 levels have no effect on climate change, but you would be wrong.

Re: and -200 degrees at night

May 1, 2016, 11:53 AM

True.

I can understand people that believe we're not 100% to blame but don't understand people that say were 0% to blame. We do share some blame. We're destroying our environment.

Well, at least were doing somewhat better than just a few years ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The fact that it is close to the sun

May 1, 2016, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: The fact that it is close to the sun ]

On the dark side. On the daytime side, it reaches temps we don't want here. LOL 250+f

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

According to him the sun has no effect lol

May 1, 2016, 11:51 AM

So if venus was where Pluto is, it would have the same temp if it had the same composition. I love this.

Re: According to him the sun has no effect lol

May 1, 2016, 11:54 AM

He didn't say the sun has no effect. At least I didn't see it.

May 1, 2016, 11:56 AM

"actually no, that has little to do with it, but i am not surprised you believe this."

May 1, 2016, 11:59 AM

"That has little to do with it." He didn't say it had nothing to do with it.

Solar intensity does effect climate, but that isn't what's been going on the last several decades.

Well, I'm grilling for the family, so I'm out of this debate. Y'all have fun. ;)

May 1, 2016, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: According to him the sun has no effect lol ]

I said distance from the sun had little to do with it. 5" off the surface of the moon it is absolute zero. without an atmosphere to trap heat, it can not exist.

Xtiger only proved my point that changing the desnity of our atmosphere is not a good thing. But where most Deniers get lost, is that subtle changes of 2-3 degrees will have profound affects on our weather patterns and glacial melt. And that the changes we have measured in the past took 10s of thousands of years, not one century.

But you would make a good oil lobbyist, otherwise I do not understand what dog you have in this fight.

May 1, 2016, 12:03 PM

Why you telling me id make a good oil lobbyist? LOL

co2 makes .04% of our atmosphere

May 1, 2016, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Re: According to him the sun has no effect lol ]

So going to .05% is gonna send us into oblivion. Got it. And ys venus being close to the sun is 99% of why it is so hot. If it was at Pluto, it would be an ice planet

Re: co2 makes .04% of our atmosphere

May 1, 2016, 12:25 PM

exposure to solar radiation, not distance from sun, light does not decay in a vacuum.. And course, the radiation needs a medium to trap it. I know these are tough concepts, Hopefully this is the last time I have to explain it.

I already know that. Never said that but

May 1, 2016, 12:48 PM

You're trying to make that your talking PT. Atmosphere does not mean co2. Atmosphere is not my PT at all. If the earth was where venus was, earth would turn into a mass of heat. Shoot even solar flares increase our temp. Aka the sun and it's heat

May 1, 2016, 12:18 PM [ in reply to According to him the sun has no effect lol ]

Went back through the thread, I was mistaken. I didn't realize y'all were talking about atmosphere.

Balm is right, temps fluctuate on the moon so wildly because of lack of atmosphere. If the earth didn't have atmosphere, we'd have the same large fluctuations.

I never argued that

May 1, 2016, 12:42 PM

That is why mercury is cooler than venus.

Wonder if they evolved or were created?

May 1, 2016, 9:48 AM

Seriously - because evolution is so easy that not only, on our own little garden in the grand landscape of the universe, did evolution bring to life the various animal kingdom figures, and the aquatic kingdom figures, it also gave us plants and trees. And of such variety it is mind boggling - until we realize it is just evolution. Now to think it didn't just happen here! Wow!

Are we having fun yet? :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: Wonder if they evolved or were created?

May 1, 2016, 10:53 AM

I definitely have fun contemplating such things.

Would be awesome to make contact or at least discover other civilizations (or any life really) although that is extremely unlikely.

Replies: 29
| visibility 372
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic