Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
According to Football Scoop on Nick and Dabo
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 6,431

According to Football Scoop on Nick and Dabo

Jan 26, 2018, 11:44 AM

Clemson: It’s no secret that Alabama will make a run at Dabo Swinney if and when Nick Saban retires. Here is Clemson AD Dan Radakovich’s pitch to keep him.

Here’s Clemson’s pitch to keep Dabo if and when Alabama comes calling

Nick Saban is showing no signs of slowing down any time soon. Here’s what I wrote about the Alabama dynasty a year ago, and this was before the Tide took home a fifth national title in the Saban era with a true freshman at quarterback.

But Saban has to step down at some point. The man can’t coach forever, and he is 66 years old. He has to quit at some point.

And while none of us know what the future holds, in the unlikely event that Saban steps down somewhat soon, it’s no secret where Tide AD Greg Byrne’s first call would go: to Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney. Dabo, of course, is an Alabama native, played wide receiver on Alabama’s 1992 national title team and spent his first eight seasons in coaching on the Crimson Tide staff.

He’s also an elite coach and program builder. He’s 101-30 in 10 seasons at Clemson, with seven straight double-digit win seasons and 40-4 with three straight ACC titles, three straight College Football Playoff appearances and a national title over the past three seasons. Dabo’s Clemson has become the only program that can go belly-to-belly with Saban’s Tide in this current moment, so it makes too much sense not to at least kick the tires.

For his part, Swinney has never even hinted at being unhappy or restless at Clemson, yet at the same time he’s been honest in saying if Alabama calls, he’ll listen. They don’t call it Sweet Home Alabama for nothing.

Here’s what he said when asked in September:

“First of all, anybody that would even say that or suggest that, I’m humbled by that and certainly appreciate that anybody would even think that way, that they would want me to be a candidate for a job like Alabama,” Swinney said. “But that’s just kind of the fandom. People just naturally make connections and things like that and they never really consider all factors. I’ve always said ‘you never say never,’ because you have no idea what the dynamics are going to be. Ten years from now, Alabama may call me and want me to come to Alabama, and the Clemson people may hate me at that point. I don’t know. I may have a terrible president or a terrible AD. There’s dynamics that can change. I’m always just focused on being great where I’m at and blooming where I’m planted.”

Clemson AD Dan Radakovich’s job is to be prepared for every possible variable, and the prospect of someone making a run at its future College Football Hall of Fame coach is a Defcon 1 variable.

“I certainly hope that we’ve been able to demonstrate to Dabo that you can get to the highest level right here at Clemson, and he’s been able to do that. So there’s so many positives about the university,” Radakovich told The State. “We have a great Board of Trustees. We have an incredible president. We have some alignment going there that has allowed us to do our job, and I think that you don’t find that everywhere, but we have it here. I think that’s a big X factor.”

And there’s a good chance that pitch works. Radakovich actually echoed the Anything is possible at Clemson line from Swinney himself. Here’s the second part of Swinney’s answer from September.

“All I know is, there’s nothing we can’t do at Clemson. I don’t have to go somewhere else to win at the highest level, to recruit great players, to have great support — I really don’t. I’m just really fortunate,” he said. “My focus is here and hopefully I can be here for a long, long time. If something changes down the road, you process those things then. But I love this place.”

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: According to Football Scoop on Nick and Dabo

Jan 26, 2018, 11:55 AM

Since this is being addressed here , for the first time on TNet ... I will say that the last part of what you included is the most resounding no to Alabama or anyone else that Dabo Swinney can give .
If you're happy ... and the fun is in the winning , why go anywhere else ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 26, 2018, 12:03 PM

I guess for us, it's like winning a Natty at bama and Clemson comes calling? Clemson has had similar success in the past and you know you can win there. You will always love bama because you made it yours and into something special. But you will always want to go back home and try to win one there.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sig-1

Jan 26, 2018, 4:20 PM

He DID win one there, as a player.

Why would Dabo go there? If he wins consistently, he's an okay coach. If he wins a championship, he's just another coach.

If he builds a dynasty better than Saban, THEN he would be legendary. Think of how many titles Bama has, 17 (or so they claim). 12 of those are between Bear and Saban, and only those 2 have statues.

What I'm getting at, is that unless Dabo builds a multiple championship dynasty at Bama, he would become a "God" there. Realistically, what else is left in a coaches journey for Dabo? Achieving the status of a legend?

Why go to Bama for that? They already have a carousel of legends and Dabo would have to put up some serious numbers to join their company.

Instead, why not Clemson? Clemson has never had a time honored, legendary coach like Saban, Bear, Hayes, Schembechler, Meyer, Paterno, Bowden, etc that solidified their status at Clemson. You could say Heisman, but he wasnt here all that long.

I say he stays here. He doesnt have to go to Bama to be win, and if he turns Clemson into a multi-title dynasty like Bowden did at FSU, then Dabo will become a national legend, not only for winning multiple titles, but for turning what most see to be an average or underachieving program into a blueblood powerhouse 30 for 30 films are made of.

Dabo builds a dynasty at Clemson, he becomes one of the all time legends or college football that 30 for 30 films are made of.
Dabo goes to Alabama, and he's just another good coach.

There are more than two statues there.

Jan 26, 2018, 9:16 PM

“Per school tradition, coaches who have led the Crimson Tide to a football national championship are represented in the Walk of Champions plaza, all in their game-day garb. Saban joined Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, Paul W. "Bear" Bryant, and Gene Stallings.”

Needless to say, but the Saban statue is MUCH larger than actual size.

All that being said, I believe Dabo is home.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=6369671

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Why would anyone want to follow Saban. Following a

Jan 26, 2018, 12:13 PM

legend in the fans mind is most always a disaster. The new guy can't do anything right and is constantly compared to the former. NO Thanks.

Re: Why would anyone want to follow Saban. Following a

Jan 26, 2018, 1:23 PM

I agree. Clemson hired a successful coach- Ken Hatfield -after Danny Ford was not re-signed. How did that turn out????? No, Dabo is already a legend in his own time right here in Tiger Town. A move to Tuscaloser could be good.....but, it could be lousy.

Jan 26, 2018, 12:19 PM

I don't think Dabo is a good fit, character-wise. Seems too decent for them.

And I could see their fans giving him an awful time about QBs and game times. Things of that sort.

To be fair, Dabo would make any place decent.

Jan 26, 2018, 12:25 PM

Anyway, he should make himself the one and only true legend at Clemson. Nick Saban has Bear Bryant. Dabo will be one and only on his Mt Rushmore at Clemson. Danny Ford is a big deal, but Dabo is going to be at such a higher level by the time he leaves. He will go down with the Saban's and the Brear Bryant's but at his own school. He won't be mentioned in the same breath with anyone else at Clemson.

Re: To be fair, Dabo would make any place decent.

Jan 26, 2018, 4:09 PM

Wow did you forget about Howard and Ford!!! Smh

No. I mentioned Ford. Moreover, those names are big...

Jan 26, 2018, 5:15 PM

among our fans. That are not all time giants as far as the nation is concerned. Dabo would be.

Jan 26, 2018, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Re: According to Football Scoop on Nick and Dabo ]

Shoot. Dabo could have a 12-2 year at 'Bama and get roasted.

Jan 26, 2018, 4:10 PM

You mean like tnet

What Bama fans forget is they hang their

Jan 26, 2018, 12:46 PM

houndstooth hat on the fact that Bear Bryant "came home" to Bama in 1958. He always said it was because "Mama called". Hence, the logic goes, any Alabama grad will come back when asked because Bryant did.

What they forget is the reason "Mama called". Alabama was in the midst of four (4) straight losing seasons. In fact, the four years before Bryant left Texas A&M for Bama, the Tide was 8-29-4. It was more like "Mama begged". I think it unlikely that Saban will leave them in that kind of fix.

So what if "Mama calls" Dabo. She won't really need him.

Re: What Bama fans forget is they hang their

Jan 26, 2018, 4:03 PM

Good points. A little history lesson never hurts. :)

Jan 26, 2018, 4:13 PM [ in reply to What Bama fans forget is they hang their ]

I heard all this b s when Ford was here. Dabo is not going anywhere

Jan 26, 2018, 4:26 PM

Good point, Bama fans claimed the same thing about Danny Ford back in the day too.

Jan 26, 2018, 4:14 PM [ in reply to What Bama fans forget is they hang their ]

I heard all this b s when Ford was here. Dabo is not going anywhere

This is a complete non-issue. All Saban’s retirement will do for Dabo

Jan 26, 2018, 12:59 PM

is clear a significant hurdle for Dabo to win a national championship every season at Clemson.

It makes absolutely no sense for Dabo to go anywhere else, and certainly not to replace the most successful coach ever who achieved that success through a cultural model that Dabo would have to blow up to be successful himself.

Dabo wins at Clemson
Dabo recruits who he wants at Clemson
Dabo has the culture he wants at Clemson
Dabo is a top five highest compensated coach at Clemson
Dabo gets complete support from the admin at Clemson
Dabo’s Children are orange-blooded Clemsonites
Dabo’s children have attended or will attend Clemson
Dabo’s son plays for Clemson

The sheer stupidity of returning to Bama because of something so silly as “momma called” hurts my brain.

Similarly, Bama will seek to hire someone in the mold of Saban who understands how Saban works and how the program was successful. Look for Kirby Smart or someone like that to get the call. Hiring Dabo would be a bad move for them because you are gambling that he’ll be able to create a completely different culture at Bama and maintain the success.

null

Re: This is a complete non-issue. All Saban’s retirement will do for Dabo

Jan 26, 2018, 4:06 PM

More excellent points. These are some of the best things I've read here over the last four years.

We old folks call it...

Jan 27, 2018, 7:47 AM [ in reply to This is a complete non-issue. All Saban’s retirement will do for Dabo ]

'tomfoolery.'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2018, 1:34 PM

Dabo was at Alabama for 10 years starting as a player.

This season will be his 15th at Clemson.

Yes Bama will always be his Alma mater, but I think we all know what is home.

null

So .....

Jan 26, 2018, 2:20 PM

" Who's yo momma ? "

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 26, 2018, 5:45 PM [ in reply to Re: According to Football Scoop on Nick and Dabo ]

Dabo calls Alabama home...so maybe "we" dont all know. I just think Dabo wants to build his own program because he feels God wants him to do this.

Here's when and how Dabo will return to Bama

Jan 26, 2018, 2:11 PM

Not after Saban. It'll be after the next guy has messed things up. Dabo's kids will have all left home, and after 5 or 6 Natty's at Clemson, Dabo feels like he has to go make Bama great again.

In that scenario, circa 2030 or so, I won't blame him a bit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's when and how Dabo will return to Bama

Jan 26, 2018, 3:37 PM

You got it right here.

Jan 26, 2018, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Here's when and how Dabo will return to Bama ]

circa

DB23

Jan 26, 2018, 4:10 PM [ in reply to Here's when and how Dabo will return to Bama ]

In 2030, Dabo will be 60. Will 'Bama want him at that age? Will Dabo want to make such a drastic move at that age? Especially after years of success at Clemson? Doubtful, IMO.

Jan 26, 2018, 4:13 PM

I will turn 61 in 2030 , but who cares right ? All y'all ever think to talk about is Dabo Dabo Dabo .

#soSickaTheezBros

DB23

Jan 26, 2018, 4:48 PM

Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo Dabo!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 26, 2018, 10:03 PM

That took some time away from others in your life .

+1

DB23

Jan 26, 2018, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Here's when and how Dabo will return to Bama ]

don't feel bad.i turned 71 last month.not even a card in the mail.the good news?my dad told me years ago that there are no sins after 72.cant wait 'til next December.imagine the possibilities.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 26, 2018, 10:05 PM

Safe to say that next December you'll have witnessed yet another ACC Championship trophy handed to CDS ??

DB23

Jan 26, 2018, 10:03 PM

Nothing DRad or anyone else says or does will change or much impact what Dabo might do if Bama came calling.

Dabo has said he's got everything at Clemson he needs....A committed President, committed and supportive AD, good facilities and a loyal fan base.

Clemson should make sure he always has those things. Clemson should make sure that Dabo and his staff are well compensated, though money will not be the real driver in Dabo's decision.

I think Coach Swinney has his first and only head coaching job at Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo will move when God leads him to move.

Jan 27, 2018, 7:45 AM

He will go where God leads him to go and he will try his best to do what God leads him to do there. Nothing we say, nothing the media prints and nothing Bama fans offer can change any of that. You can tell that is true if you listen to Dabo's many responses to the questions regarding Saban retiring and Bama's search for a replacement.

When Dabo says 'never say never,' he's allowing for God to alter the direction of his life, admitting that he doesn't control the future and he's willing to go where God leads. An spiritual adult never says never.

'They don't call it sweet home Alabama for nothing?' I have no record of Dabo ever saying that in reply to a question about returning to Bama as their head coach. It should not be a part of this discussion for it borders on being a lie when brought up in this context.

Anyone can trow out a catch phrase to make a point. 'Home is where the heart is.' That's what, a couple thousand years older than the sweet home alabama thing? Neither matter, what matters is Dabo's relationship to God and willingness to continue in His will. My prayers for Dabo is that he continue to be an obedient servant of the Almighty. Everything else is temporal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 6,431
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic