Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Academic standards...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Academic standards...

Nov 29, 2012, 11:56 AM

If the acc "relaxed" the academic standards to let Louisville into the acc, will we be able to "relax" the academic standards to allow some recruits into Clemson?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Academic standards...

Nov 29, 2012, 12:28 PM

The standards are up to each school beyond the NCAA minimum,I believe.Also think that certain schools can get in a couple of partial qualifiers each year.The whole problem is,standards for D1 football should be the same.If you compared this crap in college to the pros,it would be like giving the Packers the first 5 picks in the draft every year.They would win the Super Bowl most years(Alabama) and everyone would be sick of GB(SEC).That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I agree that we should be on the same playing field

Nov 29, 2012, 12:48 PM

Clemson can't have a double standard. If the academic requirement is lowered for players then it has to be lowered for "regular" students. Then Clemson becomes USuC and has Clemson grads ringing up my Taco Bell order instead of the usual USuC grad.

This is not true

Nov 29, 2012, 12:51 PM

There should be a double standard for athletes. Regular students do not make any money for the school directly. Also, the school is asking them to come to improve its name by shining on the field. No other students are asked to come to a school unless they have outstanding grades, which means they don't need any concessions to get them in.

No, you make exceptions for athletes

Nov 29, 2012, 12:52 PM [ in reply to While I agree that we should be on the same playing field ]

Athletes already special treatment, it should not be a big deal. Barker is worried about his quest for a "Top 20 University" ranking.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

5 or 6 athletes will not hurt that rating

Nov 29, 2012, 12:53 PM

and it is absurd that Barker thinks that it will.

Academic Standards should never be lowered at Clemson!

Nov 29, 2012, 12:53 PM

Clemson University is a institution of learning first and sports should always be second. I am the biggest sports fan out there but my time at Clemson as a student and the hard work I put into it should never be lowered. My degree means a lot to me and lowering academic standards also lowers the meaning of a degree from Clemson University. We are NOT the school in Columbia.

Also, I hope Tahj sticks around for his senior year but I also think his decision may also be based on what Morris does.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As I said in my post above

Nov 29, 2012, 12:56 PM

5 or 6 athletes a year will not degrade the prestige of the university. That is why there should be a double standard for athletes and "regular" students. Standards should remain high for the general population but the people who make money for the school and the winning athletic programs that boost enrollment numbers deserve to be helped out a little.

Lol, if you think athletics "makes money for the school"

Nov 29, 2012, 1:04 PM

And academics does not, you're funny....

Academic reputation brings in waaaay more money than athletics does or ever will. No amount of recruiting is worth lowering standards.

Derp.

Also, next time you're at it, ask the AD how much profit

Nov 29, 2012, 1:13 PM

They bring in...

Then why is the University constantly....

Nov 29, 2012, 1:46 PM

taking money from IPTAY and the Athletic Department to cover is budget deficits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

The money that the university "takes" is what Athletics

Nov 29, 2012, 2:06 PM

pays into the General Fund for shared services that come from, you know, being part of the University and not the other way around...

One For Example: Marketing of the academic brand that helps bring in student athletes.

Also, Do y'all forget State Funds are used to pay for base salaries of AD personnel?

There is NO question that athletics DOES make money

Nov 29, 2012, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Lol, if you think athletics "makes money for the school" ]

for the school, IF athletics (particularly football) are successful. You can look at program after program after program across the country, and schools that develop a powerhouse football program substantially grow their student applications, student enrollment, etc.

People want to be associated with a winner. That has not, and will not, ever change. And, to me, it is clearly worth lowering the academic requirements for a few athletes if it will improve the football program.

Ohio State, Georgia and Florida are all highly ranked colleges (at or above CU). I wonder how their academic requirements for athletes compares to CU's?

Correct, having a strong athletics presence will only help

Nov 29, 2012, 2:16 PM

raise National Reputation...likewise a weak one could (emphasis on could, not would) hurt it.

I agree with this, but the university does not depend on the athletes to be a top-notch university and/or keep schools as a whole in the black which is the point i was making.

And before you're emphatic about athletics making money, read this:

(ACC)
http://businessofcollegesports.com/2012/03/19/most-profitable-athletic-departments-acc/

and

(ALL)
http://businessofcollegesports.com/2012/03/21/highest-net-income-amongst-athletics-departments/

Just saying...some can, some can't. Fan base, Alumni size, championship earnings, media contracts, etc all play into it...Compare those schools total budgets and annual giving and see how grossly bigger they are compared to Clemson...then percentage out the athletics revenue and see how far behind/ahead we are

Can we at least agree that

Nov 29, 2012, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Lol, if you think athletics "makes money for the school" ]

increased student applications and enrollment will increase school revenue?

See links below (found very quickly on google):

http://www.thesmartjournal.com/admissions.pdf

http://www.freakonomics.com/2012/07/09/how-much-do-football-wins-pay-off-for-a-college/

http://www.aaec.vt.edu/aaec/working%20papers/2008_05.pdf

Re: Academic standards...

Nov 29, 2012, 1:17 PM

Every D1 school makes exceptions for athletes. Each school determines how low they will set the standard as long as it complies with the NCAA minimum. I have never seen in writing Clemson or USC policy on what is acceptable for athletes.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic