Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What will football season look like IYO?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 930

What will football season look like IYO?

Mar 31, 2020, 9:30 AM

If the past few weeks have shown us anything, it’s that football season this fall will not look like what we’re used to. All experts are saying that there will be some measure of social distancing in place for the next 18-24 months. I don’t see how they will ever let 80,000 fans in a stadium this year, or even tailgating.

So what are some options to mitigate infections this fall yet still have a football season worth a ####?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What will football season look like IYO?

Mar 31, 2020, 10:51 AM

tigerrag86 said:

If the past few weeks have shown us anything, it’s that football season this fall will not look like what we’re used to. All experts are saying that there will be some measure of social distancing in place for the next 18-24 months. I don’t see how they will ever let 80,000 fans in a stadium this year, or even tailgating.

So what are some options to mitigate infections this fall yet still have a football season worth a ####?

This really depends on if we are at the point of accepting any risk at all with this virus. There is absolutely NO WAY to socially distance and 100% guarantee no infections and have organized football activities or have games. So for that reason and the fact that experts will differ as to the likelihood of a second wave, I don't see how it is possible that we play football, unfortunately.

I say this because I do not believe that there will be a vaccine by the fall that is tested enough with guaranteed efficacy that schools will make athletes get it and make them play. Will there be a vaccine? Perhaps. But it will be in beta testing and will only be given to those at high risk (like Health Care professionals) who volunteer.

Ok, if you think that the Conferences, NCAA, and Universities have the stomach to assume risk, then the solution would be to test athletes periodically during the season, and play. I am sure that tests will be widely available and in large numbers come late summer. However, just wait for one player to get this crud and end up in the hospital, and there will be a lawsuit that will highlight how he was forced to play so as to not lose his scholarship and that the NCAA, University and football staff was negligent in their "in loco parentis" duties.

Then, if crowds are the issue, you eliminate the crowd. Play the games without the crowd. Maybe allow family staff family etc only. Limited concessions. Close the parking lots to tailgating.

The economic impact on local communities surrounding major D1 football universities would be devastating, but so could the amount of people that a drunk, COVID Positive person sitting in the stands yelling, "Ref you suck!" could infect. Let alone how many people jam packing sidewalks, souvenir stands etc. he could infect before the game even started.

That's the way that I see it. I hate it, but I don't think that we are going to get to August/September and everyone will just forget this ever happened and have things back to normal.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ALL experts are saying that?

Mar 31, 2020, 11:07 AM

Link?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: ALL experts are saying that?

Mar 31, 2020, 2:38 PM

I haven't seen a single epidemiologist who thinks that this will be over until 2021.

Additionally, every epidemiologist has said that until we have the ability to mitigate the spread (social distancing) and have enough rapid tests, that we won't be able to open back up our Economy.

Opening up the Economy still means that restaurants will likely limit their seating capacity to 30-50% of what it used to be. Stores will have caps on the # of shoppers at a time. Etc, etc.

Even with that, all Epidemiologists have said that large crowds (concerts, sporting events, etc) will be out of the question until a vaccine exists or the virus has worked its way through the majority of America--both of which won't happen until at least Summer of 2021.

I'm still holding out hope that Football could happen in some capacity this year, but the only way that happens, IMO, is without fans and with instant COVID testing available to entire rosters on a weekly basis.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 930
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic