Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC vs. SEC. $$$
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

ACC vs. SEC. $$$

May 31, 2015, 12:57 PM

I have a simple question and would like to see some of your thoughts on it. How do those of us in a conference not receiving $31+ millions each year compete with the SEC year end and year out? I know about the ACC vs SEC record for 2014 but if the income gap gets wider how can we expect to compete? Seems that with the ACC not having its own network, we are falling behind. Somehow Swofford and his relationship with Raycom( his son that works for Raycom) is starting to harm our conference. Seems to be all over the State newspaper this morning about the "BIG SEC money" just sickening!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd say wait until we have this year's ACC numbers

May 31, 2015, 1:01 PM

before jumping off the cliff.

Re: I'd say wait until we have this year's ACC numbers

May 31, 2015, 1:08 PM

No one is jumping off a cliff. Regardless of the final amount, it sure as heck won't be anywhere near $31 million hence the concern.

When are the ACC's numbers usually released?***

May 31, 2015, 1:28 PM [ in reply to I'd say wait until we have this year's ACC numbers ]

The ACC hasn't announced its most recent payout.

May 31, 2015, 1:02 PM

With the CFP $ now factoring in and BB tourney money on the rise, I suspect we'll see around $25 Mil per school, still a gap but not as wide as it's being perceived now.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

could have saved a bunch of $ be not sending baseball

May 31, 2015, 1:19 PM

team to california

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NCAA pays for the team expenses in the tournament

May 31, 2015, 2:02 PM

does anybody on here actually know what they are talking about, or do they just fire their disinformation randomly to see what sticks?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No but I'm sure you know that Scooter.***

May 31, 2015, 7:26 PM

Get ND to join full time then launch ACC network

May 31, 2015, 1:20 PM

wouldn't be bad to throw in a Penn state as well. ND has more national drawing power than any other school. An ACC network w/ Notre Dame as a football member would be much more lucrative than anything the SEC could put together.

Notre Dame won't join in football unless they are absolutely

May 31, 2015, 1:41 PM

forced to by not having access to a playoff. Penn State will not leave the BigTen which is expected to reach $40 million per school soon and as a Grant of Rights agreement. We should have gotten Penn State before they went to the Big in 1990. When the ACC was an 8-team league, we should have added Florida State and Penn State to become ten. When 2003 rolled around we should have added Miami and West Virginia for a 12-team league. Had this been done, we'd have never lost Maryland. Then in 2011 Rutgers and Syracuse for 14 and then eventually Notre Dame for 16-team Super Conference. It would have been a conference with big attendance schools and good football programs. No Pitt and unfortunately no Boston College as those are primarily pro towns.

Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Maryland
Miami, FL.
North Carolina
NC State
Notre Dame
Penn State
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

It would be awesome to have this, then drop Wake for Louisville to add another state to the list, get rid of dead weight, and make Notre Dame contiguous.

An ACC network would still own 2-3 ND FB games every year

May 31, 2015, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Get ND to join full time then launch ACC network ]

played on an ACC field plus all their basketball and other. I like our arrangement with ND. The rest of their schedule is spread out and serves as a better measuring stick for the league overall this way.

The biggest hurdle an ACC network has for content is that once ESPN grabs the top 4 games or so in the league each week, the network is left with home games at Wake, Duke, UVA, UNC, or Syracuse. Genteel settings don't make for compelling football programming. Replays of the others would help, but out of all the Power 5 conference programs, we have five of the lowest 10 venues in annual attendance each year, a disproportionate number and bad for television.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

basketball is the shiny diamond for the ACC

May 31, 2015, 2:12 PM

this is what they need to figure out most importantly.

The typical Syracuse/Pitt/WF/etc fan could care less about watching ACC football, but would gladly pay dearly to watch their teams play UNC, Duke and Louisville.

How hoops is distributed is the key, and is how the ACC can become as lucrative as the SEC Network. Watching an Auburn-Alabama or LSU-UGA basketball game will never, ever draw flies nationwide. Only SEC schools that give a crap about basketball is Kentucky and maybe Arkansas. The ACC has 8 to 10 schools that LOVE their basketball.

ACC $$ versus SEC $$

May 31, 2015, 3:28 PM

Last year the ACC per team payouts were $21M. This year I'd guess the payout will be ~$25M per team. That's not light years away from SEC money.

But it is less money. And the SEC has ALWAYS been bigger and financially richer than the ACC. We've competed well with the big money teams for the past 35 years. And I'd wager we keep competing with them well.

And we only need to worry about Clemson. Clemson's big payday. like that of most big time programs, comes from the home football crowd. Almost ALL the money from ticket sales stays in our pockets. Last year Clemson trailed 7 SEC teams in home attendance and we lead the majority of SEC teams in attendance and in ticket sale revenue.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC $$ versus SEC $$

May 31, 2015, 3:35 PM

Really god post, thank you!

Re: ACC $$ versus SEC $$

May 31, 2015, 3:36 PM

I meant to say "Good Post" not " God Post".....sorry.

2-3 games vs 8 games is huge...Millions per year***

May 31, 2015, 5:16 PM [ in reply to An ACC network would still own 2-3 ND FB games every year ]

I agree but seats are limited

May 31, 2015, 4:18 PM

You are correct the facilities gap will increase with time. However, the seats are limited on a football team. Kids in high school want to play right away and that is major factor in selecting one school over another. Besides how do schools with lesser attraction compete now? For example take GT which may not be a great example but they don't the recruiting stars that we get. Over the past 10 years, are losing every away game to them. I am sure there are more examples than this but this the one the comes to mind. So you can build talent with 2 or 3 starts and it is harder than getting an already polished player but it can be done.

Note sure what the ACC can do to narrow the gap!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Texas Should win the MNC every Year Based on that thought..

May 31, 2015, 5:09 PM

Texas, Notre Dame, Southern Cal are schools with "insane" money to name a few and they are NOT exactly dominating....

In football you still only get 85 Scholarships....A bad coach can screw up with good talent (Wil Muschamp) and a good coach can do well with marginal talent (David Cutcliff)....

Location, playing time, Offensive style, defensive style, the school, location to home, all play into the mix......

Columbia Sc isn't exactly a garden spot....

It is like the joke..."You are so ugly that you had to tie a Pork Chop Around your neck to get the dog to play with you"

If you have the "Right Amount" of money you can do great.......We are fine

Message was edited by: The FIGHTINGDABOS®

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: Texas Should win the MNC every Year Based on that thought..

May 31, 2015, 5:57 PM

I really like your thoughts, they make perfect sense. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Re: ACC vs. SEC. $$$

May 31, 2015, 7:08 PM

Y'all are over blowing this.

This is a moot point because the players aren't being paid, and Clemson is not destitute without some of that money. Not like the Salaries are expensive and you just do not have the revenue to compete. There are great facilities at Clemson with quality coaches.

Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and South Carolina get that money but they are not better than Clemson.

We all field 11 guys at a time and get 85 Scholarships.

The ACC and Clemson bring their own great qualities to the table.

Football is like life.

May 31, 2015, 9:03 PM

It doesn't matter where you start it's how you live and how you finish.

We've been money deficient for decades yet our facilities are as good as anybody's. Our coaching staff makes more than most but is no where near the top yet I believe we have the best leadership in the country right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ACC makes more money than the SEC. Please let that sink

May 31, 2015, 10:57 PM

in. There are more sports than just football. The Pac-10 is first. The ACC is second. The SEC isn't third. They're 4th on the list of overall athletics revenue. Clemson can buy or build anything the coots can. More revenue comes into Clemson than South Carolina. That's all there is to that.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic