Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC midweek update: Where we stand
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,275

ACC midweek update: Where we stand

Feb 23, 2016, 7:37 AM

While there's breath, there's hope ... especially when the Tigers STILL have a decent shot at a double bye for the tourney.

After last night's game, here's where things stand:

UNC 11-3
Miami 11-4
L'ville 10-4
Virginia 10-5
N. Dame 9-5
Duke 9-5
Clemson 9-6
Pittsburgh 8-6
Syracuse 8-7
Everyone else is below .500

We have two games tonight. Clemson is at GTech (7 p.m. on the trey) and BC vs.VTech, which doesn't mater in our run. Assuming Clemson wins tonight ... and I am assuming that or this whole exercise is pointless ... tomorrow's standings look like this:

UNC 11-3
Miami 11-4
L'ville 10-4
Virginia 10-5
Clemson 10-6
N. Dame 9-5
Duke 9-5
Pittsburgh 8-6
Syracuse 8-7

That's right ... for all the hand-wringing, all the "we're doomed!" all the "I knew we'd stink" talk out there, l'il ol' Clemson would hold the fourth seed for the tourney. Remember, L'ville isn't going anywhere.

Now factor in Wednesday's games of note: L'ville at Pitt, UNC at the Wuffies and N. Dame at Wake, (all on the trey.)

For seeding purposes we want L'ville to win so they can continue to hold a berth they won't be using. It would be nice to see the Wuffies win again and climb above 100 in the RPI, but the game really means nothing to our hopes. Wake beating ND would be huge, but I just don't see the battered Deacons pulling that off.

Thursday has an important game for our hopes. FSU travels to Duke, which is still hampered by depth and injuries. IF FSU can pull this off, we gain a bit of daylight. If not, things stay tight with an extremely big set of games this weekend.

Assuming chalk holds after Thursday, we have:

UNC 12-3
Miami 11-4
L'ville 11-4
Virginia 10-5
N. Dame 10-5
Duke 10-5
Clemson 10-6

Pittsburgh 8-7
Syracuse 8-7

We end up where we started, but with some clear separation in the conference. Just one upset i the team above us (excluding Louisville) would be a major boon for our hopes.

Still a lot to play for ... everything, in fact. But it MUST include a win tonight.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks Rev....

Feb 23, 2016, 8:02 AM

The "fat lady" may be warming-up her vocal cords but she hasn't started signing...at least not yet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

9-5 >10-6, still 7th even

Feb 23, 2016, 8:15 AM

With a win tonight. Just win out and see what happens. We'll be on the bubble if we win out and can somewhat control our fate in the tourney without having to win out. Honestly, we may be better off with a single bye to give us an extra wi opportunity.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke has to play UNC again in their last game...

Feb 23, 2016, 9:00 AM

if they lose that or any other (FSU at home, Pitt away), and we win out,

we hold the direct tiebreaker over them.

It's going to get complicated though because the number of teams tied for the position may invalidate some direct tiebreakers though. Then it becomes abut how you did against the #1 seed in the tourney and we already lost to UNCheat.

Stranger things have happened though...

Re: ACC midweek update: Where we stand

Feb 23, 2016, 8:22 AM

Fat lady hasnt sung yet but we are backed into a corner.

Hell even a few of the Brackets on bracketmatrix are still giving us hope after our NC St loss.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

win out and we're generally fine for the ACCT...

Feb 23, 2016, 8:53 AM

especially if UNC holds serve as well.

We want the Tarholes to win the league, or possibly Miami would do too.

Notre Dame or Duke winning out generally eliminates the double bye possibility.

but first we just gotta start playing better ball. the guys need to calm down and start going to the hoop...

For some strange reason, our guys just can't seem to stand

Feb 23, 2016, 9:18 AM

prosperity.

With an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament on the line, they go out and lose to teams Virginia Tech and NC State.

It's absolutely mind boggling !!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: ACC midweek update: Where we stand

Feb 23, 2016, 12:43 PM

Question, do we want a double bye? I guess the only real way we get it is if we win our last 4 games, but does that lock us into the NCAA tournament?

I would hope the team that finished 4th in the ACC would get a bid, but if we do get a double bye it makes it difficult to get the extra ACC tourney games we may need to get to 20 wins...

Just a thought of mine, I think if we get the double-bye we would HAVE to be in the tournament, but who knows with college bball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,275
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic