Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC football is synonymous to NIT basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1,994

ACC football is synonymous to NIT basketball

Jun 26, 2012, 6:38 PM

We are going to be competing for the best 5th team in America.

Given a one loss SEC team and a one loss ACC team, guess who will be selected to the final four? Since strength of schedule is a factor, the SEC by definition is the stronger conference (and it is) so that leaves us in the NIT tournament of football.

How come this was approved by all of the presidents of the ACC? I must be missing something and I am an average Joe when it comes to football. Can someone please enlighten us or have our beloved Clemson administration do it?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

give it up

Jun 26, 2012, 6:41 PM

this has been discussed

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: give it up

Jun 26, 2012, 6:43 PM

and the result of the discussion is what? is it fair to the ACC or we are getting screwed?

"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Fair has nothing to do with it

Jun 26, 2012, 6:47 PM

Any system wherein there is not a clear path for every team in the division to win the title is not fair.

This 4 team playoff is a bit fairer than the BCS was in that it gives 4 teams a chance to prove themselves, but fair? Nope.

I'm not gonna argue this system (or any system short of "win your conference go the playoffs") is fair, but it can be argued that this system gives an 11-1 Clemson team a BETTER chance at the title than the BCS system did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ACC is at its own fault if that is the case

Jun 26, 2012, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Re: give it up ]

1. Who says we will be in the ACC?

2. The ACC has a lot of room to improve, FSU, Miami, Clemson, VT, GT, UNC is vastly improving, even Virginia and Wake Forest are showing they're trying.

3. The SEC only had what, a 3 team top heavy conference last year? If Clemson, FSU, and VT all win 10 games, wouldnt that pretty much say the same about the ACC? except the ACC could also have UNC/GT/Miami highly ranked at the same time.

4. The ACC still has room to expand again, and with the last expansion seeming to be basketball (although PITT has a pretty good football history) I think it would be safe to assume the next move would be targeting football schools.

Re: give it up

Jun 26, 2012, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Re: give it up ]

Nick sounds like Prick.. Or ####

USCheat football is synonymous to Fail

Jun 26, 2012, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Re: give it up ]

Fail = A ring for your best season ever includes being 5th in your conference and a citrus bowl.

Well since the ACC sucks we should have

Jun 26, 2012, 6:49 PM

to go undefeated if we choose to stay. Quite honestly that shouldn't be too tough to do if we have the best team in the nation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC schedule not necessarily weaker. Depends on OOC...

Jun 26, 2012, 7:01 PM

games and cross divisional games in a particular year. For instance, CU playing good GT, VT and UNC from Coastal in the same year UGA plays Ole Miss, Miss St. and a down Ark team from SEC West, we may come out on top. Both of us would have played SC as well. We have Wake and BC, they have Vandy and KY????? Looks pretty close to me and would depend on how opponents were performing in that particular year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 spots > 2 spots....***

Jun 26, 2012, 7:01 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Give me a break!

Jun 26, 2012, 7:09 PM

if we had finished 2011 undefeated, we would've definitely been in the top two. hence, if we finish undefeated in the future, we will definitely be in the top 4. sos is only one factor, and we never truly have a weak schedule to begin with. i'm guessing you're a big 12 supporter. all i have to say to that is "SORRY BRO!"

Re: Give me a break!

Jun 26, 2012, 7:24 PM

No i am not a big 12 supporter or anything.

I am going to give you this scenario:

imagine an 11-1 Clemson and 11-1 GA or USC and a single spot remaining out of 4. Which one will be selected to the final spot?

That is the part that I don't understand. If they said, the champions of their league is in automatically, I would feel better.. But that is not what is being said here...

"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Well an 11-1 USC vs an 11-1 Clemson

Jun 26, 2012, 7:24 PM

WOuld be easy, which team beat the other team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well an 11-1 USC vs an 11-1 Clemson

Jun 26, 2012, 7:31 PM

bad analogy .. Pick Clemson against another SEC team that we don't play or even any team that played plays them.

"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Maybe he meant the real USC

Jun 26, 2012, 7:38 PM [ in reply to Well an 11-1 USC vs an 11-1 Clemson ]

;)

Re: Give me a break!

Jun 26, 2012, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Give me a break! ]

Nick sounds like Prick or lamecock

What your failing to mention is the schedule...

Jun 26, 2012, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Give me a break! ]

your claiming SOS is what is going to determine who goes between Clemson and UGA, but just because UGA is in the SEC doesnt necesarily mean they will have the tougher schedule.

Lets say that 11-1 UGA team didnt play LSU or Bama, and their one loss was to Arkansas

Now the 11-1 Clemson team played VT and South Carolina (and in this years case, Auburn as well) and their only loss coming from FSU.

Putting names and conference affiliations to the side, wouldnt Clemson look better on paper than UGA?

Strength of schedule is a factor in NCAA BB (RPI)

Jun 26, 2012, 7:12 PM

Until the ACC improves its upper echelon, a one-loss SEC team IS better than a one-loss ACC team. FSU, Miami, and us need to step it up and start beating SEC teams with regularity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Strength of schedule is a factor in NCAA BB (RPI)

Jun 26, 2012, 7:14 PM

...im thiking we are gonna see fewer and fewer SEC teams willing to schedule games with ACC teams

Re: Strength of schedule is a factor in NCAA BB (RPI)

Jun 26, 2012, 7:48 PM [ in reply to Strength of schedule is a factor in NCAA BB (RPI) ]

Using RPI perhaps even an undefeated ACC team wouldn't seed above a oneloss from either SEC, Pac, B1G or Big 12.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just win

Jun 26, 2012, 7:15 PM

& beat two SEC schools on schedule and everything will take care of itself!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC football is synonymous to NIT basketball

Jun 26, 2012, 7:19 PM

Better question, how are they going to sneak a two loss Notre Dame team in ahead of one loss teams or undefeated teams from lesser conferences?

Jun 26, 2012, 7:21 PM

They will probably "Just Do It". Like they "Just Did It" with bama and lsu.

RPI***

Jun 26, 2012, 7:49 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC football is synonymous to NIT basketball ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2012, 7:25 PM

Nick sounds like Prick

Jun 26, 2012, 7:30 PM

If we take care of our own business, we'll be fine.

Jun 26, 2012, 7:30 PM

If we take care of our own business, we'll be fine.

Jun 26, 2012, 7:37 PM

Well when we get to be a one loss team, then we can think about it. Let's get there first. Just don't let the one loss be to the mighty, speedy, superior, cocky, chickens.

Jun 26, 2012, 7:53 PM

I feel what you're saying but I think that all of the things that are being said about the ACC being "left out" are to be taken lightly . If we won every game next year but one, say we lose the opener to UGa (god forbid , right ?) then run the table , and Uga loses in week 11 to Ga Tech . We would both have the same record , but our loss would have been in week 1 , and to a much tougher opponent . I would look for the nod if there werent 4 other schools with 1 or fewer losses from the other 4 "power" conferences. This is what I believe..it will still come down to taking care of business and we will get there.

I agree on the easy cases

Jun 26, 2012, 8:02 PM

where you can determine whose better by simply W/L and if there are common teams between the two teams that they both have played. However, things gets crazy for the ACC or not clear if an ACC team has similar exact record to a team in Big12 or Big10 where it is not easy to make that determination. Let it be an ACC team and Oregan or USC (the real one in Cali).. Most likely if it is an SEC team, it is easier to make the determination since the SEC team most likely either played us or they played a team that we played. So you kind of can go with this...But even with this it gets complicated: Lets us say we beat the "chickens" by 10 points and UGA beat them by 10 points and us and GA are both 11-1. Also, consider we beat GT by 10 and so did UGA.

So there are endless scenarios.. Screw the NCAA .. Why cannot we have a true playoff system. Any team can beat (almost) any team on a given Saturday....

Go tigers

"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Yeah, if you totally ignore the concept that RPI/SOS...

Jun 26, 2012, 8:33 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC football is synonymous to NIT basketball ]

is the paramount factor the selection committee use to seed. We might get a spot with only one loss. What concerns me is whether or not our RPI/SOS will give us a seed over a 1 loss SEC team even if we are undefeated.

I would bet so

Jun 26, 2012, 8:37 PM

An undefeated conference champion from the previous BCS conferences will get a bid, or that will be where the system is once again blown up.

Man, if that is the case and we get a fair shake on the $$$

Jun 26, 2012, 8:50 PM

I'm all for staying in the ACC. If true 'the dude,' can suck it.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1,994
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic