Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ABout special teams...Was it Jimmy Johnson that said it is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

ABout special teams...Was it Jimmy Johnson that said it is

Jul 14, 2019, 10:21 PM

one third of the game? Anyway, whoever said it may be right. But, If being the best in Special teams means you get 5 more yards on a punt return,then I say don't waste time on it. I mean, we kick it into the endzone almost every time now, and when we don't they may fair catch it anyway. So, would you spend a third of your time trying to figure out how to get 5 more yards on punt and kickoff retruns, or would you spend your time trying to perfect an offense that can get 5 yards, over and over and over. And vice versa on the defense. Dabo may have decided just that. I don't know either way..but he might have.I would be willing to bet we have had as many 90 yard drives as anyone in the country over the past 5 years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Giving up a ST touchdown cost us a national championship.***

Jul 14, 2019, 11:16 PM

Or a ST onside kick recovery . . . .***

Jul 14, 2019, 11:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Giving up a ST touchdown cost us a national championship.***

Jul 15, 2019, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Giving up a ST touchdown cost us a national championship.*** ]

Yes, but had we kicked it into the endzone then Bama would have had to take it 75 yards on a long drive. Something they really couldn't do in that game. They got a couple of lucky TE passes that went for long TD's as well.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ABout special teams...Was it Jimmy Johnson that said it is

Jul 14, 2019, 11:41 PM

When George O'Leary was a mathematically inclined insect he said special teams play a role in at least three or four games a year. He should have padded that number like he padded his resume.

Sigh....

Jul 15, 2019, 3:42 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2019, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Re: ABout special teams...Was it Jimmy Johnson that said it is ]

Maybe he misremembered, particularly when conversing w/ an attractive female; my potential to misremember increases, if I percieve her to have a potential to misbelieve, subcontiously of course-

Jul 15, 2019, 7:46 AM

The ST punt return for a TD was the ONLY TD that BC scored last season. Not that it mattered. I think Rodgers also returned the favor later in that game.

That being said - I consider ALL PHASES of the game as important. Somewhat like the old saying "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link".

Yeah, but don’t you remember...

Jul 15, 2019, 8:10 AM

What it was line to have Ford and Spiller back there and we could score at any moment? That had to be a nightmare kicking sitch for opponents.

Spiller time was fun to watch especially after we got scored on.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2019, 8:33 AM

It was Lou Hoax who brilliantly stated that statistically every 6th play in a football game involves kicking the ball. He said that like it was really important, often overlooked information. Then foolishly he never devoted efforts or resources to recruiting a reliable guy that could get him 3 points anytime a drive stalled.

But Holtz wasn’t alone in that regard. Most coaches seem to value a scholarship earmarked for that third string TE rather than giving it to that puny runt who could consistently cash in with points when you need them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2019, 10:55 AM

I think it's hard to recruit kickers from high school. There just aren't very many high ranked ones, and the kicking is so different from high school to college that it's hard to scout. You also never know how a high school kicker is going to handle the pressure of the more advanced rush from the defense, or of doing it in front of 80,000 fans as well as millions on television.

I believe we've given scholarships to quite a few kickers who didn't end up working out for us and ended up getting beat out by walkons.

Jul 15, 2019, 12:36 PM

Ford use to have soccer kickers try out for football. Then play in soccer games on Sunday way back when.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2019, 9:34 AM

'Bammer has lost at least two big games against Auburn because of ST failures.

Ii think Special Teams are like baseball umpires. Nobody

Jul 15, 2019, 10:02 AM

pays any attention until they have a bad game, and then they get REAL important, real quick. The 5 yards you spoke of may not be important, but nothing can turn a game around faster than a fumble on a kickoff or punt deep in your own territory, or giving up a touchdown on special teams.This was never deomonstrated any clearer than against Wake Forest in 2006. We were already trailing 17-6, and Wake was about to make a short field goal to go up 20-6 just into the 4th quarter. We had done nothing offensively the entire game, and were lifeless. Suddenly, the field goal was blocked, and Gaines Adams ran it all the way back for a Clemson touchdown. From that point on, it was a completely different game. Special Teams. Maybe not 1/3 of the game, but if you don't have good ones, they will be a huge part of why you lose.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ii think Special Teams are like baseball umpires. Nobody

Jul 15, 2019, 11:06 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the game was 17-3 so the field goal would've made it a 17 point game and pretty much put the game away with the lack of offense we had that day. We scored the tying touchdown on the next drive, and later Spiller had a really long touchdown run to give us the lead.

Re: Ii think Special Teams are like baseball umpires. Nobody

Jul 15, 2019, 12:04 PM

You are correct, sir. I just rewatched the video clip where Gaines scored. But, that just makes the point even more. It would have been 20-3 in the 4th quarter, a very deep hole to dig out of, considering we had not done diddly squat so far in the game. The special teams play was the jolt we needed.

I likes Special Teams AND

Jul 15, 2019, 12:54 PM

Special Wimmens..

and Shag Dancing, Pizza & Burgers, Convertibles, A Whiskey (occasionally), Boats & Beaches.

How was that? LoL.

Oh, TiGER FB!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beaches. You just can't get away from

Jul 15, 2019, 1:10 PM

"It puts the lotion on its SKIN!" can you? :)

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic