Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A word or two from an African immigrant, Ayaan Hirsi Ali.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 673

A word or two from an African immigrant, Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Jun 28, 2020, 9:55 PM

"What the media also do not tell you,” I tweeted on June 9, “is that America is the best place on the planet to be black, female, gay, trans or what have you. We have our problems and we need to address those. But our society and our systems are far from racist.”

America looks different if you grew up, as I did, in Africa and the Middle East. There I had firsthand experience of three things. First, bloody internecine wars between Africans -- with all the combatants dark-skinned, and no white people present. Second, the anarchy that comes when there is no police, no law and order. Third, the severe racism (as well as sexism) of a society such as Saudi Arabia, where de facto slavery still exists. [snip]

This country is only 244 years old, but it may be showing signs of age. Time was, Americans were renowned for their can-do, problem-solving attitude. Europeans, as Alexis de Tocqueville complained, were inclined to leave problems to central authorities in Paris or Berlin. Americans traditionally solved problems locally, sitting together in town halls and voluntary associations. Some of that spirit still exists, even if we now have to meet on Zoom. But the old question -- “How can we figure this out?” -- is threatened with replacement by “Why can’t the government figure this out for us?”

The problem is that there are people among us who don’t want to figure it out and who have an interest in avoiding workable solutions. They have an obvious political incentive not to solve social problems, because social problems are the basis of their power. That is why, whenever a scholar like Roland Fryer brings new data to the table -- showing it’s simply not true that the police disproportionately shoot black people dead—the response is not to read the paper but to try to discredit its author.

I have no objection to the statement “black lives matter.” But the movement that uses that name has a sinister hostility to serious, fact-driven discussion of the problem it purports to care about."

Mr Spooneye, if you do not know who she is you might want to use your google instead of dismissing her a a Fox News guest or something.

Mr robertn, don't worry about Mr Spooneye, he never misses one of my post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they don't teach that in Intro to Sociology

Jun 28, 2020, 10:02 PM

they probably should

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A word or two from an African immigrant, Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Jun 28, 2020, 10:39 PM

Congrats America! You're less racist than third world countries!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2020, 10:45 PM

In one country not even 75 years ago, you were rounded up on trains and sent to be exterminated on an industrial scale. Black people hasn’t been the only ones mistreated! Just saying.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2020, 12:16 AM [ in reply to Re: A word or two from an African immigrant, Ayaan Hirsi Ali. ]

We're less racist than just most of the world you a hole.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2020, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Re: A word or two from an African immigrant, Ayaan Hirsi Ali. ]

Dude, you way missed the point she was making and by doing so made yourself appear stupid.

That assuming America is racist.

Jun 29, 2020, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Re: A word or two from an African immigrant, Ayaan Hirsi Ali. ]

Which clearly, she contradicts. Show me where any nation, civilization or society has done better. Now show me where we can do better and I will join you in working toward that end.

Things are never as bad as some portray them and never as good as other would like you to think.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm familiar with Ayaan Hirsi Ali, thank you!***

Jun 28, 2020, 10:42 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YW***

Jun 29, 2020, 8:51 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We pardon the hail out of me, sir.

Jun 29, 2020, 9:21 AM [ in reply to I'm familiar with Ayaan Hirsi Ali, thank you!*** ]

You dismissed Leo Terrell's opinion saying you didn't know who he was so what does his opinion mean to you and I just though that was SOP for you.

BTW, "Legal career
On December 4, 1990, Terrell became a member of the California Bar.[9]

He was the Chairman of the Black-Korean Alliance, an Advisory Board Member for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and a member of the Statewide Commission Against Hate Crimes.[4] Terrell wrote the book Your Rights at the Workplace--The Things Your Boss Won't Tell You in 1998.[10]

Terrell became a member of the NAACP in 1990 and did pro bono legal work for the organization. After Terrell expressed support for Carolyn Kuhl, a judge nominated by President George W. Bush to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit whose nomination was filibustered in the U.S. Senate, Terrell left the NAACP and accused the organization of "bullying" him out. NAACP Washington, D.C. office director Hilary O. Shelton responded: "He’s not an NAACP lawyer, not even a former NAACP lawyer. He’s done volunteer work for us, which we appreciate. But when he takes a position that is diametrically opposite from our position, he’s not speaking for us."[11]

Terrell has provided legal and political commentary on TV and radio programs such as Nightline, Larry King Live, Hannity & Colmes, The O'Reilly Factor, Today, Good Morning America, and various radio programs.[4] A family friend of O. J. Simpson, Terrell provided expert legal commentary about Simpson's civil trial.[12][13]

In 2003, Terrell ran for the seat of District 10 on the Los Angeles City Council and came in fifth place among seven candidates.[14]

Notable cases
In 1995, Terrell represented Kumasi Simmons, a former football player from Centennial High School in Compton expelled for hitting a referee. Simmons accused the referee of using racial epithets.[15][16] Terrell accused the Beverly Hills Police Department of intimidating witnesses who could back up Simmons's claim.[17]

In 1999, Terrell called on the Los Angeles police commission to hear witnesses who claimed that a homeless woman, Margaret Laverne Mitchell, was running when police officers shot her.[18]

In 2012, Terrell called for an investigation of misconduct by trainees of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.[19]

Re: We pardon the hail out of me, sir.

Jun 29, 2020, 9:26 AM

Who?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We pardon the hail out of me, sir.

Jun 29, 2020, 10:50 AM

Fu Kewe, the Chinese nationalist who voted for Hillary but has since committed his vote to Trump.

One person’s viewpoint doesn’t invalidate the others***

Jun 28, 2020, 10:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I re-read it...

Jun 28, 2020, 11:55 PM

I don't think that's what she is saying.

In fact, she acknowledges problems we have.

I think the whole point is stepping away from our own perspective and try to see it from someone else's. You might find something that you're missing.

I know it helps me with my own perspective.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes and no

Jun 29, 2020, 1:04 AM

Yes. Lots of problems. Lots of issues to acknowledge. Both sides.

Also lots of people with a different perspective than mine very upset with the current system. I don’t invalidate their views either.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One person’s viewpoint doesn’t invalidate the others***

Jun 29, 2020, 8:17 AM [ in reply to One person’s viewpoint doesn’t invalidate the others*** ]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_genocide

Does this help you to understand the internal wars she mentioned?

Spot on.***

Jun 28, 2020, 11:34 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jun 29, 2020, 12:01 PM

Precisely.

The liberals cannot see or admit they are being used by race hustlers. Too many people make money off of strife and too many dumb people buy into it.

Most of the extremism we see would not exist were it not for social media, MSM, and the avenues through which so many dividers profit.

Too many have lost (or never had) the ability to see through the BS.

Replies: 17
| visibility 673
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic