Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A quote in the SI story on Dabo is very telling IMO
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

A quote in the SI story on Dabo is very telling IMO

May 13, 2018, 9:11 AM

When told that Saban who is 66 wants to coach into his 70s Swinney responded “ that’s great because I’m as happy as a pig in mud here”

That to me shows the opposite of what some people think as far as being a sign he will stay here. If Saban left and Swinney stayed at Clemson wouldn’t that be a good thing? I think it shows that Swinney feels he might have to leave when Saban leaves but is not ready to do so yet

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A quote in the SI story on Dabo is very telling IMO

May 13, 2018, 9:15 AM

Sorry, I don't get it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2018, 9:36 AM

Why would it matter how long Saban coach and why would Dabo feel the need to say it would mean anything good for him

I read it differently.

May 13, 2018, 9:57 AM

I read it as "I'm glad this isn't something I really have to handle as an ongoing major distraction just yet, and it's going to be hard to explain to Bama why their culture of win-it-all-or-its-a-failure just isn't me."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2018, 9:16 AM

You have obviously never tried to get a big ol'pig out of cool mud on a hot day .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 13, 2018, 9:30 AM

I'll confess I've never tried to get a big ol'pig out of cool mud on a hot day. However I was a founding partner in a highly succesful chicken farming venture when I was in the first grade. You can imagine.

Is a pig in mud anything like as happy as a tiger in a chicken coop? Because I have seen the result of that the last 4 years and it ain't pretty.

May 13, 2018, 10:02 AM

I think we draw the same conclusions ... utilizing different animal analogies.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 13, 2018, 9:37 AM

Dabo is not following Sabah. There would have to at least be a transition guy first

May 13, 2018, 9:49 AM

I think you are reading too much into that specific quote and ignoring the jist of the story. Woody McCorvey, who is as close to Dabo as anyone not named Kathleen, clearly believes Dabo is building his own legacy at Clemson. Have you guys forgotten that Saban offered Dabo a job on his staff when he was an assistant and Dabo declined because of the players coming to Clemson that he had personally recruited? This is a man of commitment and loyalty. When Saban retires, will Dabo heed momma’s call? I don’t think he even knows how he will feel and has said “never say never.” There are many more reasons to stay at Clemson than to leave but time will tell. The only thing more annoying than the smug Bama fans who see Dabo as a future lock to them are the people who want to speculate endlessly about whether he will or whether he won’t. Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link please. Or issue date.***

May 13, 2018, 9:49 AM

null

Re: Link please. Or issue date.***

May 13, 2018, 10:02 AM

Sorry, Swarley, I don’t have a link. It was one of the years he was recruiting coordinator. As I remember, the offer came late, like maybe in December.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2018, 10:11 AM

Why are Clemson fans so caught up with something which may or may not happen at some unknown future date? There are 10k factors which play in to this and the factors change year by year.

Perhaps we can simply enjoy the here and now which happens to be the best ever era of Clemson football. The other stuff will play itself out without input from us

Wasn’t SI - here’s the link :

May 13, 2018, 10:14 AM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23464877/dabo-swinney-clemson-tigers-built-last

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

If this

May 13, 2018, 10:27 AM

Horse isn’t dead he surely must be struggling!

I wish we had a women’s ping pong team so you fans would have something to talk about!

Actually, just because one thinks you can’t whip a dead horse

May 13, 2018, 12:34 PM

doesn’t mean another agrees.

I’m afraid that we will not hear the end of this. Well, at least until Jeff Scott takes over as head coach; at which time the narrative will be “... when/will/if Jeff leaves for usUc....”

??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Dabo has been asked about being a replacement for Saban...

May 13, 2018, 10:23 AM

at least 25 times. That's easily verified in half a hour with a simple google search.

When a honest man is asked the same question over and over again he feels insulted that he wasn't believed the first time. Dabo, being a Southern Gentleman and not given to rudeness or cut and paste responses which lead to mundane dialogue tries to reiterate his firm "NO," response to that question.

When Dabo was first a guess on Finebaum's TV/radio show PF broached the subject. PF spent the next 15 minutes hearing from Dabo about how Alabama screwed him around and left him jobless in the lurch for several years. Bama's leading Dabo on for such a long period is how he ended up working for a real property development company.

Some folks seem to want to make this all about Bama being home for Dabo. Some folks want to compare Bama to Clemson and declare one more attractive to Dabo than the other. Some just want to believe what their heart desires without considering the many volumes of information Dabo has given us over the years.

WELL! Let us do that now.

Dabo told Finebaum why Bama isn't attractive to him. Dabo was barely short of telling Finebaum to stick Bama up his butt. Finebaum's first words when Dabo finished describing what Alabama put him through were, 'I suppose there is no reason to ask whether or not you'll take the Alabama job.' That's out of the way. Bama screwed Dabo out of several years of coaching and some of you idiots thing a burnt hen will go near the fire.

Dabo said, "I'll be here until Clemson doesn't want me anymore." Has the man ever intentionally lied to us? Even when he said he didn't want to make Clemson like OSU or UM he wanted to create a program which others would mimic and try to be like. That has to be the most outrageous commitment I've ever heard from a man who doesn't bull$hit. At the time we were satisfied with his aspirations because we wanted a coach who believed Clemson Football could be great, one that promised to do his best and not consider Clemson to have limitations as did Tommy Bowden.

So, Bama dryhumps Dabo five times, leaving him waiting on a job that never works out then Clemson gives him a job, he becomes a part of our culture and a family member...let me see...

Would you please try to keep up?

For those who wadded through the swamp to get to the end here...Saban tried to hire Dabo as his recruiting coordinator when Dabo was our recruiting coordinator but it was 2 weeks before signing day and Dabo politely turned him down. CJ Spiller signed with us that year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo told Shula NO also

May 13, 2018, 12:45 PM

after Bowden talked him into coming to Clemson in 03 also. Bama's tries twice since Dabo has been AT Clemson.

the way I always heard it was...

May 13, 2018, 10:32 AM

"happy as a pig in chit" or "happy as a dead pig in the sunshine".

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

May 13, 2018, 11:29 AM

I think you are reading too much into it. Any time someone mentions the end of Saban's career, they are implying that Dabo is next in line. I think Dabo is glad Saban will be around for a long time so he won't be bothered about it.

May 13, 2018, 1:04 PM

I understood it to mean that he likes cheeseburgers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2018, 3:59 PM

One thing kind of lost here is that Saban must be feeling a little rushed. Maybe the most popular guy in this case is the back-up coach.

Football is a funny game- if a Syracuse or Pitt can rise up and beat us, if SCar can beat Bama which they did a while back, anything is possible. Let Saban have a couple two-loss seasons or one three-loss season and the Dabo cries will intensify. And that's something that will not be lost on Coach Swinney. How Saban leaves (see Bobby Bowden) will have an impact.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic