Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Travis Etienne vs Raymond Priester factoids.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 4,704

Travis Etienne vs Raymond Priester factoids.

Dec 5, 2019, 10:35 AM

Travis Etienne is on track to become Clemson's all time leading rusher in just 3 years. He is currently just over 200 yards behind Priester's four year total. BUT, in total games played, Priester played 46 games to accomplish his mark. Right now, ETN has played in 40 games. So, the disparity between the two is not as great as you might think. If the rest of the season goes as we hope it will, Travis will have three more games added, for a total of 43 vs 46.

Conclusion? Ole' Priester was pretty darn good. And, remember, he played in the Tommy West era, when we were mediocre at best. But, it really is an apples and oranges comparison. Priester was a power back first and foremost. He did not possess the breakaway speed that ETN has. That, to me, makes the numbers he put up even more impressive.

But, flipping the stats back the other way, here is where ETN really sets himself apart. Priester had 809 rushing attempts for his 3966 yards, a respectable 4.9 ypc average. ETN has had 479 rushing attempts for his 3810 yards, a smoking 8.0 ypc average.

The only seasons I could find that were close to that were a 7.7 ypc for one year, turned in by one Bo Jackson, and a 7.6 ypc for one year, turned in by another guy named Barry Sanders. NO ONE has come close to doing 8.0 ypc for a whole career. Enjoy this for these last few games folks. It is very unlikely you will ever see it again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Travis Etienne vs Raymond Priester factoids.

Dec 5, 2019, 10:39 AM

https://clemsontigers.com/career-bio-for-raymond-priester/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

good points but you're a little off

Dec 5, 2019, 10:44 AM

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/rush-yds-per-att-player-career.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/rush-yds-per-att-player-season.html

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I stand only somewhat corrected. I was looking at stats

Dec 5, 2019, 10:50 AM

from major schools, going against major competition, with full time running backs. Quickly browsing down your lists, every one I see above those two I named either played in Non Power 5 conferences, or were only part time backs with very few (comaparative) numbers of carries. Percy Harvin at Florida, for instance, was certainly not primarily a running back, although he is on that list. But, the numbers do exist.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A point I found interesting is that of the top 20 career

Dec 5, 2019, 4:30 PM [ in reply to good points but you're a little off ]

average leaders, 13 are post-2000 and 9 are post-2010, well after most college teams learned to heave the ball through the air.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A point I found interesting is that of the top 20 career

Dec 5, 2019, 5:18 PM

Just as the running game opens up opportunity for the passing game, the passing game opens up opportunity for the running game. Joe Montana proved it over and over and we're now doing the same thing with a balanced attack that gains big total yardage over and over.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

156 yards to tie***

Dec 5, 2019, 10:48 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he does not get that in the ACC Championship game,

Dec 5, 2019, 11:19 AM

I suspect the game will not have gone well for us. Bronco Mendenhall is a good coach, and I expect this to be a much closer game than the records might indicate. His BYU teams had a pesky habit of pulling upsets. You can bet the house that Dabo has mentioned this to the team as an attention getter and motivation to play well.

Dec 5, 2019, 10:55 AM

In the T Bowden era he wanted backs to get breakaway runs of over 40 plus yards. Those used to be few and far between. Now our backs seem to get one or more like that every game. It has truly come a long way

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Er, Priester played for Tommy WEST, not Bowden.

Dec 5, 2019, 10:59 AM

Other than that, carry on. :)

Re: Er, Priester played for Tommy WEST, not Bowden.

Dec 5, 2019, 11:05 AM

Knew that. Just was mentioning a metric Bowden used to measure rb success by

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Er, Priester played for Tommy WEST, not Bowden.

Dec 5, 2019, 11:06 AM

and beside West , Bowden. Both Tommy's were about the same success wise

It's twue, it's twue, it's twue.

Dec 5, 2019, 11:15 AM

-Lilly Von Stuppt.

Re: It's twue, it's twue, it's twue.- Here with the Bama

Dec 5, 2019, 12:07 PM

fight song- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uai7M4RpoLU&t=116s

Great post. If anyone is going to break Priester’s

Dec 5, 2019, 11:14 AM

Record I hope it’s ETN

Dec 5, 2019, 11:37 AM

Different types of runners. Priester never had ETN's breakaway speed.

Also different style of coaching and different team makeups

Both great Clemson rbs

GO TIGERS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a new style of football where you spread the team

Dec 5, 2019, 1:11 PM

out and make them defend the whole field.

Apples and Oranges to compare ETN to Priester.

ETN is good...you say we may never see another one like him...

I heard the same thing about Boyd.

It seemed like almost every play on offense back then was a handoff to Priester.***

Dec 5, 2019, 1:14 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 4,704
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic