Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A model for NCAA athlete likeness pay already exists!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,811

A model for NCAA athlete likeness pay already exists!

Oct 30, 2019, 10:48 AM

Just read an op-ed from a University of Colorado professor that makes a TON of sense. I've always been opposed to athletes being paid by the university as employees, and this model avoids that in a way that is ALREADY in use at colleges for sharing patent revenues that stem from university research. If a professor creates a patent through his research that can be monetized somehow, the revenue from that patent is split between the professor and the university.
For the NCAA it would look something that looks like this:
- Clemson would find and negotiate opportunities for players to license their names/images
- The revenue from the licenses would be split something like:
- 1/3rd to the athlete
- 1/3rd to the athletic department
- 1/3rd to Clemson
This avoids the athlete being paid directly by the university as if they were an employee, which I HATE. Everyone would benefit from this model. Fans get real jerseys with names, EA Sports can make NCAA Football 2020, the athletic department and the university get money that they previously missed out on, and the player is compensated for his name/image. Nothing really changes as far as recruiting goes, the athletes are still student athletes because they have to stay in school to participate in the program. Thoughts?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A model for NCAA athlete likeness pay already exists!

Oct 30, 2019, 10:51 AM

Is the starting QB paid the same as the left tackle and the #8 on the women's tennis team?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2019, 10:57 AM

That is exactly where the problem arises. It’s not fair for Lawrence to receive thousands of dollars from the revenues number 16 creates and Smith who is a pole vaulter on the women’s track and field gets nothing for doing all the hard work

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's likely more fair than all of them getting nothing

Oct 30, 2019, 11:06 AM

when some of them are very clearly worth a lot more than that, right?

Re: It's likely more fair than all of them getting nothing

Oct 30, 2019, 11:11 AM

They signed a financial agreement with the University which waives monetary rights in return for a scholarship. The only organization limiting players under the age of 21 from benefiting from fair market compensation is the NFL. Give players another market to make money (NFL D league, XFL) and let them choose which model they prefer. No one is forcing them to sign a financial agreement with a University. They do it for access to facilities and the opportunity to increase their exposure.

null

Yall would really prefer that to some kind of player

Oct 30, 2019, 12:33 PM

compensation model?

Oct 30, 2019, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: A model for NCAA athlete likeness pay already exists! ]

My first thought was that each player only gets a cut of their own revenue (meanings starting QB will earn more than the LT...notice I said they EARN more, not get PAID more).
But looking into how jersey sales work in the NFL, the player gets a large cut of the revenue but then a small portion of it goes into a pool that ALL players are paid out of. I could see the NCAA setting up something similar.
But this is one of the benefits of doing it this way: the university doesn't have to "decide" how much to "pay" each athlete, they just earn a portion of the revenue that they generate with their name/likeness. Sure, the starting QB will earn more, but it's hard to argue they shouldn't.
Plus, I think with our fan base the LT will still do ok...you would have seen lots of Hyatt jerseys and I'm sure Jackson Carman can sell some jerseys himself!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2019, 12:42 PM

and the student athletes will get to pay taxes on their earnings.

And how much would it impact the QB's valu if he had no

Oct 30, 2019, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: A model for NCAA athlete likeness pay already exists! ]

left tackle (or a comparatively bad one)? Or an array of "frisbee catching dogs" as receivers? It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I have a ton of questions, but I also know I have zero impact on how it ultimately gets done.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2019, 11:11 AM

Universities will not be paying the athletes. Third parties will.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2019, 11:13 AM

Exactly...that's why I like this model.

Oct 30, 2019, 12:48 PM

And DJ Ugalieglei (sp) hears Nike will pay $400,000 if he goes to a certain market area and Fatz Cafe will pay $10,000 in another. Split or no split, what then?

Message was edited by: djones73

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2019, 1:35 PM

You bring up an interesting point, though not exactly the one you're getting at. Clemson is currently in a 10yr deal with Nike for uniforms and apparel. Last I saw, I think Nike had about 50% of all uniform contracts with Adidas and Under Armour making up the rest. I could envision a situation where the apparel companies start affecting recruiting, but not in the way you suggest. DJU will get Nike money if he's at Clemson or Oregon. But if, say, Adidas decided they wanted to make a major push into the market and increase their share, and Louisville (who uses Adidas) decided they wanted to make a major push for their turnaround, couldn't they get together and offer even sweeter deals to recruits if they go to Louisville?
I think this is why you'd have to have a standard revenue sharing rule across the entire NCAA, and it can't vary by school or apparel company.
Some people will argue that recruits will all gravitate towards the major market teams, but:
1. They already do that
2. Star players in smaller markets will still make lots of money...Lamar Jackson would have sold a million jerseys. Ja Morant would have sold a million Murray State jerseys.
3. The local guys who are amazing college athletes but who don't make it in the NFL will make lots of money that they deserve and otherwise wouldn't make...think Boulware.

Oct 30, 2019, 1:20 PM

It's an interesting concept, but I am not sure that it fixes the 2 main concerns that most critics have, abuse and lack of parity. I don't think that anyone wants to be unfair to these young men. However, them being compensated, regardless of the method, will come with other consequences. A lot of people these days complain about income disparity, and a lot of time people blame big business. Regardless of whether the money goes through the university or outside sources there is a concern that it will create a competitive disparity. Endorsements are a very big business. Having the money go through the university might reduce the abuse somewhat since the NCAA would have more control for punishing the university, but there would be bad actors within them as well. On a side note, patents, copyrights, etc. that are obtained while working for a university or corporation, for that matter, are rarely split evenly or close to it.

Oct 30, 2019, 2:08 PM

That might be a good starting point but it left out another hand in the till. The NCAA will want their cut and the cost of administering the payouts will be significant. All the athletes on a team deserve a share too. That QB, RB, WR, etc. would be excelling without the grunts in the trenches or the defense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2019, 2:18 PM

Why is that a good deal for the athlete?

If it is legal for him to get paid, then why should he be forced to give 2/3 of his income to the university?

Other students who attend the university work. They do not have to give 2/3 to the school.

Note: Not saying that I am adamantly opposed to your proposal, just presenting a counter-argument. In effect the college would be taking the athlete at a rate of 67%.

Oct 30, 2019, 2:46 PM

This isn't my proposal, just the most interesting one I've seen so far (especially because it's already in use with professors/patents/etc).
My counter-counter-argument is:
1. In the current system, the college is taking the athlete at a rate of 100%, so this feels like an improvement.
2. Lots of people use the argument that the athlete today is getting an education, they're getting access to athletic facilities and coaches, and all of those things are providing value that the athlete can't get anywhere else. I suppose the university and the athletic department are just getting compensated for providing those services by taking a slice? I agree that the 1/3rd to each feels too heavy toward the school...this is just the argument that the professor used.
Comparing a college football player sharing revenue on jersey sales with students working at the university bookstore doesn't seem like a good comparison...the players don't "work" for the school, the school won't be "paying" them. Again, that's the main reason I kinda like this model.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,811
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic