Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A factual breakdown of "Clemsoning"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

A factual breakdown of "Clemsoning"

Oct 10, 2013, 12:29 AM

To determine whether or not the notion of "Pulling a Clemson" is valid, we did some research into the last 13+ years (Bowden + Dabo) of Clemson football, along with 24 other schools to create a 25 team sample size.

We then analyzed the data per coach to see how trends play out. The gist is under Bowden, Clemson came in 24 out of 25 (just ahead of SCAR). However, under Dabo, Clemson comes in 10th out of 25.

http://www.thetigerswag.com/2013/10/pulling-clemson-legit-or-not-legit_10.html

All of which begs the question - was Clemsoning valid, and is it still?

Our conclusion is it was a valid term, but no longer has a place at Clemson. It should be transferred to some other school - ND maybe?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Isn't this term logically contradictory

Oct 10, 2013, 12:43 AM

If it is because we lost to a team we were expected to beat, then expecting us to "pull a Clemson" would mean you expect it to happen therefor invalidating the use of the term.

Simply put clemsoning isn't something you can talk about or speculate beforehand. Designating a game a trap isn't wondering if we will "pull a Clemson" your wondering if we will lose a game before it is played like Michigan or Ohio state does every week.

You have to be able to look back on the final seconds of the 4th quarter to say oh crap we just pulled a Clemson didn't see that coming.

Re: Isn't this term logically contradictory

Oct 10, 2013, 8:23 AM

I agree the term is contradictory, much like jumbo shrimp or smart Gamecock, but that doesn't stop the media and others from jumping on the bandwagon.

My goal was to see if there is any basis for the term

Nice Article!

Oct 10, 2013, 8:35 AM

Made me think it should be Bowdening from that comparison

Re: Nice Article!

Oct 10, 2013, 8:43 AM

I wouldn't too hard on Bowden. He did bring us back and changed the culture by making Clemson a great place to be.

Also, to his credit, he was up against some tough competition. If we were to analyze every team, he probably wouldn't be much below 25-30, which is pretty strong

Thanks for checking it out!

Re: A factual breakdown of "Clemsoning"

Oct 10, 2013, 8:45 AM

It's a joke, a condescending joke. Let it go, winning trumps the statement.

Big time team lose every year, the issue is people across the country don't consider Clemson big time. Well, #3 and a win of FSU followed by a possible explosive matchup against Oregon will get the nation behind Clemson so the networks will follow.

You can't force Clemson on the country any more than they could force Boise St on us. However, Boise kept winning and proved themselves only to drop off pretty big

I think Clemson fans are the ones keeping up Clemsoning in the dialogue. The less people discuss or defend it the quicker it will go away. However, a loss to FSU or USC, and the critics will be back. win and it goes away!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell 'em coot

Oct 10, 2013, 8:52 AM

smh

Oct 10, 2013, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Re: A factual breakdown of "Clemsoning" ]

While I wish it were that easy, but unless our own Athletic Department had access to Jesse Palmer's microphone, this is not just a Clemson fan base perpetuating the myth.

Oct 10, 2013, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: A factual breakdown of "Clemsoning" ]

Why would a loss to FSU or Carolina bring about any talk of Clemsoning? The whole point is that we used to, (in the past) lose to teams that we shouldn't have, like Maryland or Duke, those days seem to be in the past yet we still have to hear about it.

Oct 10, 2013, 12:11 PM

This - this is exactly the issue. No one seems to bring up USC's 0-21 stretch or the multiple probations under two separate Hall of Fame coaches, yet Clemson has to deal with a few disappointments

Oct 10, 2013, 9:40 AM

Clemson fan and season ticket holder for years.

I tend to take the quiet path on Clemson success and let the nation follow at their own pace. When I have gotten in front of it in the past it has come crashing down. I don't recall Bama or LSU or other big time programs begging people to agree that they are great. They let it come to them after winning.

While I like Dabo as a person, I do tend to like Saban's subtle confidence and leadership approach over Dabo's in your face cheerleading approach but he is still winning so it doesn't bother me anymore. Add to that his desire for growth as a person and a coach and He is much better prepared to be the face of this program than he was 2 years ago.

Some of you love touting Clemson to everyone and going nuts on opposing views, I however, enjoy watching a quietly ranked #3 Clemson possibly beat a #6 FSU team as a higher ranked yet underdog at home. then I can sit back and relish the respect shown to the Tigers, not respect that was begged for, but respect that was earned over the course of the year and finally given freely.

That is what will sustain Clemson over time and rid the dictionary of Clemsoning and changing it to the next program

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2013, 10:00 AM

I love the term. Just another added bit of uniqueness to Clemson that constantly brings the nation's eye towards us. People will always be watching us to see if we "pull a Clemson" but the key is....THEY WILL BE WATCHING.

FSU is the master disappointer***

Oct 10, 2013, 12:32 PM

I'm confused you have usc with 18 unranked losses

Oct 10, 2013, 12:42 PM

We've only lost 16 games since 2009.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: I'm confused you have usc with 18 unranked losses

Oct 10, 2013, 3:02 PM

Those are actually the points gained - 18 points means you finished 7th in that category.

I should probably do a second post that includes the raw data

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic