Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Nugget or Two on the Old "Big Thursday" Games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,570

A Nugget or Two on the Old "Big Thursday" Games

Nov 16, 2018, 5:07 PM

Clemson & SC played all their rivalry games in October (in Columbia) during the SC State Fair on "Big Thursday," from Game 1 through 1959. Most people know this & know it was moved to the final game of the season & became a "home & home" series in 1960; ending "Big Thursday."

But while around, "Big Thursday" WAS BIG! The SC Historical Society says, by the mid-'50s, SC's stadium had grown to about 44,000. Still, tickets were VERY tough for the Tiger/Gamecock matchups.

In 1956 - it was SUPER BIG! Clemson & SC were undefeated in conference play AND an Orange Bowl bid would go to the winner.

These were rumors, but I believe them: Funeral Homes were getting calls asking if any "customers" might have been season ticket holders, and IF so - "Do you think I might....get a little....info?....you know?"

Tigers vs Gamecocks....it's ALWAYS been Big!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Nugget or Two on the Old "Big Thursday" Games

Nov 16, 2018, 6:42 PM

My dad used to go all of the Big Thursday games. He loved it. Then, one year, I can't remember which, he was behind 2 students headed to the game also. Sadly, they wrecked and were both killed. My dad came home without going to the game. That was the end of Big Thursday for him.

Nov 16, 2018, 7:51 PM

That would probably end it for me too. Never went to a Big Thursday game - little too young. My first CU game was in '61 w/my dad at the Valley - 1st grade.

Old "Big Thursday" Games - fond memories

Nov 16, 2018, 8:03 PM

My great uncle J. Rhett Clark was Clemson grad and county agent for Richland County and ran the agriculture dept at the fair. Went to “ help” every year and got to see some of the Clemson/Carolina games. Special treat was to eat Fiske fries on the double Ferris Wheel and see the pre-blimp view of the game. SCar wouldn’t split the gate or concessions 50-50 so ole Frank said “bump this!” He was the most unpopular man in SC as both sides loved the game at the fair!

Years later he said he retired due to sickness: the Board & Alumni were sick of him!

Nov 16, 2018, 10:12 PM

Here's a clip of the '57 Big Thursday Game, with my uncle, Harvey White, at QB. I was there, but too young to remember much.

https://youtu.be/-enRuvCfADc

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Cips from the '57 "Big Thursday" Game

Nov 16, 2018, 11:40 PM

Sure did enjoy your post of 1957's Big Thursday. The college game sure has changed in all these years. Seems Tigers were doing all the passing. Great to see Whitey Jordan catch that big one to set up Clemson's 2nd score. I got to know him fairly well years later. Certainly heard of Harvey White, but I was too young to have watched him play. I guess the big Carolina name in that one was King Dixon - but seems Tigers contained him well that day. Those "straight-on" kickers back then couldn't hit much! How 'bout those cheerleaders & the "almost" full skirts! Pretty modest back then!

Re: Great Cips from the '57 "Big Thursday" Game

Nov 17, 2018, 9:41 AM

Thanks!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,570
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic