Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A New Hitting Coach Is Not What We Need . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

A New Hitting Coach Is Not What We Need . . .

Feb 25, 2019, 12:12 AM

Us old f@rts were taught to hit differently than today's diamond boys. We were taught to sit on the fastball and adjust to the off speed, hitting it to the opposite field when possible.

Today's philosophy is to pick a pitch and sit on it, then drive it deep into the gaps. If you don't get your pitch, take it and guess again. This philosophy will lead to lower averages and more extra base hits. It will also lead to more backward K strikeouts and fly outs. Rarely are pitches hit to the opposite field, as everything is attempted to be driven into the gaps. This philosophy will also cut down on situational hitting. It's a feast or famine mentality.

Rather than a new hitting coach, what us old guys want is a "new" hitting philosophy, back to the style we grew up with . . . at first glance, that is my desire . . . but is my old antiquated approach really what is best in today's game?

Yes, I miss balls hit to the right side to move a runner to third . . . and contact made simply to score a run . . . but we never hit 0-2 counts out of the park . . . or had 9 hole hitters that could go "yard" at any time. The game has changed and I need to learn to be ok with it AND enjoy it!!!

Congrats to those who flashed the leather and beat VMI again today!!! Nice series Tigers!!! Proud of you!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A New Hitting Coach Is Not What We Need . . .

Feb 25, 2019, 1:13 AM

Well put, I believe Monte has a handle on how to make us most successful in today’s game and the kids love him!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

I was a pretty good hitter in my playing days. Rarely

Feb 25, 2019, 7:52 AM

struck out and hit well over 400 every year. My thoughts were, if the ball is there, go and put the bat on the ball. Didn't worry or didn't care what the pitch was. If it was a strike, I better be swinging.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang it - in the old days there were gaps on both sides.

Feb 25, 2019, 8:33 AM

Must have been napping when that was changed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2019, 9:06 AM

Well stated 56. Those were the words I’d been looking for all weekend. So I really appreciate you stating this.

Contrary to what some may think, it’s not a knock on Monte or his coaching abilities etc. however, I have heard Monte say in the past that “we” have got to get better at doing this.

Coastal seems to do a good job at this as does Vandy. Anyway, as skeeta states, just enjoy. And I do enjoy it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2019, 10:58 AM

Baseball is now run by metrics.

The coaches know which approach gives the best chance to score runs based on who is at the plate and their strengths.

Often it's the "Old school" guys who scream that our batting average as a team is too low, while also saying they don't think metrics should run the game.

Well, batting average is also a metric or measurement. The difference is that coaches now want slugging percentage instead of batting average. OPS is the ultimate offensive measurement. A double is worth more than a single. Batting average doesn't reflect that.

Baseball is different from football in that it is about approaching the game in a way that will work most often for an entire season. Losses matter so much more in football that every decision is centered around how to win today.

If a guy hits 4 for 12 with 3 doubles for a weekend then everybody thinks he should be in the lineup, but if he is 4 for 4 in one game and 0 for 8 in the other two, then after those games he seems like he should be sitting the bench.

Consistent baseball teams have multiple guys who can contribute so that somebody is hot at all times. Nobody hits all year, so there must be some balance.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2019, 1:25 PM

I blame it on travel ball. Everyone is out for themselves and how high is the batting average to impress the recruiters. No situational batting. You really know how a guy plays when he is on a high school team and you are trying to advance in the playoffs. Will he sacrifice bunt, etc. just my opinion.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic