Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
8 team playoff scenario
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

8 team playoff scenario

Dec 2, 2018, 2:14 PM

So let's say there was an 8 team field in the CFP this season. And for argument sake let's say that the P5 conference winners were guaranteed a spot (Clemson, Bama, OU, OSU and Washington). That leaves three spots. Using the final AP Top 25, the only change would be Michigan would be out because Washington is in. First round matchups would occur at the higher seeded team's location on 15 Dec. Games would be:

Washington at Bama
UCF at Clemson
Georgia at ND
OSU at OU

Bama and Clemson would win in blowout fashion, but the other two games are intriguing. Winners would play the Orange and Cotton Bowl on 29 Dec like the current format.

You've only added one more game on the season which you could offset by getting rid of one of the early season games (like a Furman or Georgia Southern). And the top programs get a playoff game at home.

What do you think? Personally, I'd love the chance to dismantle UCF to shut them up.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 8 team playoff scenario

Dec 2, 2018, 2:19 PM

So let's say there isn't an 8 team field because none of the Power Five Commissioners want it, not many Coaches want it, and it ain't going to happen any time soon. Care to discuss the 64 team "Road to the Final Four" selections?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

64 isn't enough, lets expand it to 68***

Dec 2, 2018, 2:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2018, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: 8 team playoff scenario ]

well that wasn't the point, but your point on the conference commissioners is suspect and
the point on coaches is an over-generalization.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Teams like USuC and NC State could still schedule

Dec 2, 2018, 2:21 PM

12 regular season games since there is no chance they would ever make a playoff

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2018, 3:41 PM

I've said from the beginning that an 8 team playoff is the way to go. I understand the argument for not rewarding average teams and not giving everyone a trophy but you can't tell me that more college football is a bad thing. Even if it's a "Cinderella story" anyone can beat anyone on any given day and it provides great parody to the beginning middle and end of bowl season. 95% of the time 1 will beat 8 but it gives these kids, and the schools another opportunity to play at home, host recruits, and provide money for the schools and communities.

128 Teams = 8 (16 Team conferences)
-2 Divisions w/ 8 teams

Level playing field for everyone heading into the playoff:
Regular Season: 11 Games
-7 Home games, 4 Away games
-8 Conference Games (7 others in your division and rotate home & home with other teams in other division)
-2 OOC games/yr.
-1 FCS opponent (You either get cupcake at beginning of the season or before your rival not both)
-Conference Championships exactly the way they are, reveal the playoff the Sunday afterwards

8 Teams get in:
-5 Power 5 Conference Championships Automatic Qualifier
-Highest Ranked non-power 5 conference champion
-2 At large spots

First Round of playoffs at the home teams' site 2 weeks after College Championships right after finals week.
2nd Round at or around New Year's just like they are now
Natty 8 Days later

I would absolutely love to be able to play UCF in Death Valley, hate that their QB went down but would love a chance to show them Big-Boy FB

Dec 2, 2018, 4:04 PM

You've put a lot of work into making something logical that will never happen.

There are 130 D1 schools.
Every year that # goes up.
You cant force schools to join a new conference. For instance, Clemson doesn't want to join SEC, because SEC schools have lower academic standards, and we have no intention of becoming the next Vanderbilt. But we are the only ACC school that could until FSU recovers.

Not interested in conf championships THEN 8 team playoff

Dec 2, 2018, 4:38 PM

Why would we want to play an extra game to get to the place where we already are?

Would not support this plan in any year, but would probably support an 8 team structure that replaced or improved current championship weekend.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic