Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
8 Team playoff
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

8 Team playoff

Nov 13, 2019, 8:39 PM

Hear me out... 8 Teams make the playoff the power 5 get their conference champs and then let the other battle out the other 3. Seems like a win to me.
1. LSU
2. tOSU
3.Clem
4.Oregon
5.Oklahoma *will beat Baylor this week
6.UGA *2 loses one really bad one the other will be to LSU in champ game
7.Bama *because its Bama
8. Cincy *could be Memphis
These players only care about making the Playoffs. If/when Bama misses the Playoffs this year dont be surprised if Memphis or Cincy beats them... See FSU/Houston

Go TGERS

Message was edited by: Jconway87®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 8 Team playoff

Nov 13, 2019, 8:43 PM

Why would anyone want a playoff with four SEC teams. That will be the result if CFP goes to eight teams. Just chose four of the Power 5 conference champions for the playoff. But it MUST be conference champions.

Nov 13, 2019, 8:45 PM

I agree with the MUST be a conference champion. Truth be told if they goto 8 then people will want 12 and so on and so on

Nov 13, 2019, 10:10 PM

Exactly. If we go to 8, #9 & #10 will be whining.
We need to recognize how great the 4-team playoff is compared to the old BCS format. We never had #5-10 claiming they should have gotten into the BCS championship. The 4-team playoff addressed those ‘close call” issues perfectly.

Conference champs unless there are "at large" teams with

Nov 13, 2019, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Re: 8 Team playoff ]

less losses. Have to do something to prevent the current ACC Coastal teams from getting in if they happened to win the ACCCG.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We already have a playoff. Bama just lost in their SEC round!

Nov 13, 2019, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Re: 8 Team playoff ]

Gezzz.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 8:45 PM

I dont think the conf champs should mean anything at all. I think they should just vote on the 8.

Then why have conference championship games?

Nov 13, 2019, 9:11 PM

Lose a game so you don't have to play in a conference championship and have a late loss, possibly to a low ranked team. Plus you have an extra week to rest, heal and prep for the playoff.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 13, 2019, 9:00 PM

Seems, for better or worse, we are careening toward a playoff expansion. And 8 teams won't do it. Say we go to 8 in the next 3-5 years. I'd bet after going to 8, it would be 16 within another 5 years.

Unless it's about nothing but money (which it usually is), I would hope 16 would be enough. If we can't choose the top 16 FBS teams, then we're in big trouble.

Nov 13, 2019, 9:05 PM

Your 4 would end up being
LSU
Clemson
Oregon
Bama

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 9:06 PM

The one factor all the expansion enthusiasts overlook are the fans. It is hard enough getting off from work and paying the expenses at two different venues now. And some want to increase to 3 or even 4 different venues and drag the season out longer. No thanks!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No doubt. It's like mobilizing several Army brigades to

Nov 13, 2019, 9:21 PM

head out to a post-season game as it is, and today we have up to 3. I can't see adding any more to what we already have. That's another reason why I really like the idea of a Top 4 hosting a first round were this to expand to 8. That would actually cut down on some of the travel overall that already exists today if the conference championship games were replaced in lieu.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: 8 Team playoff ]

Just make the opening round home games for the top 4. Problem solved.

Nov 14, 2019, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: 8 Team playoff ]

Just make the opening round home games for the top 4. Problem solved.

Nov 13, 2019, 9:14 PM

I am really fine leaving it at 4. The whole idea behind 4 was to make sure we get the best 2 teams in the natty game. No one ever wondered if the team ranked 8th was really the best team.. it was about making sure we got 1-2 correct. Top 4 does that... the committee's logic is a little funky sometimes but college football is the best it has ever been... lets not mess it up.

Nov 13, 2019, 9:23 PM

Great point! With the number 8 team

Nov 13, 2019, 10:13 PM [ in reply to Re: 8 Team playoff ]

My exact thought process. You are spot on.

This will ruin college fb faster than paying players for

Nov 13, 2019, 9:16 PM

their pictures....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 10:06 PM

I struggle with ever allowing a 2 loss team in. One loss may have been a slip up, but not two.
The only reason I would favor going to 8 (never 16), would be to ensure undefeated teams got in, along with high power 1- loss teams.

Nov 13, 2019, 10:21 PM

I agree! Im leaning 8 for similar reasons. Imagine two loss NFL teams being on the bubble to make the playoffs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 10:45 PM

Why not just leave it at four and let the committee pick the best four conference champions among the Power 5? The problem is, instead of just doing that, they seem obsessed with getting two SEC teams into the CFP. That needlessly complicates everything else.

Nov 13, 2019, 11:42 PM

I ain't nobody so it don't matter what I say but here goes anyway...
I say 8 just incase they keep snubbing certain teams and conferences. No need to lengthen the season either, just dump the CCG's and start the playoffs 2 weeks after the end of the season. The only problem I see with this is the "weak" Coastal schedule. I called it b4 ESPN could!:)

ST

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic