Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have 3 sons and two of my oldest are tops in their respective classes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 3,383

I have 3 sons and two of my oldest are tops in their respective classes

Feb 5, 2015, 7:12 AM

Academically. Both scored high enough on their 7 th grade SAT to attend most schools provided they keep up the good work. School has always been very important in our home but I have never pushed them to attend a particular college. It has always been their choice. I want them each to succeed and make the choice best suited for their dreams.

Well, the other day, we had to of course attend a meeting to discuss their classes and find out which colleges and stuff they might be interested in so we could adjust their schedules to meet those goals. I never insisted on a thing. However....

I got up that morning dressed with my orange tie and pin. I had a replay of the Carolina beat down running on the tv in the living room and gave them each a few Clemson notebooks and such to start the day. And when the counselor asked each of them which college they were most interested in and to write it down , I said here son, use my pen.... A Clemson one. :)

And amazingly enough.... They each included Clemson!!! And with no interference from me !!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have 3 sons and two of my oldest are tops in their respective classes

Feb 5, 2015, 7:14 AM

That is the way . Gentle nudges , with subliminally suggestive knick-knacks placed here and there. Sounds like y'all have done a fine job !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Good story, thanks******

Feb 5, 2015, 7:15 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

7th grade sat? was this extra?***

Feb 5, 2015, 7:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: 7th grade sat? was this extra?***

Feb 5, 2015, 7:24 AM

Be alert for the toxic impact on schoolwork that the combination of gasoline and perfume often has on young male scholars. If the boys can breathe that heady stuff and still spell their names, you got a couple of geniuses on your hands.

Note there is nothing you can do about the coming distractions of life, but as a father you should be alert to it. The memories stirred up in a Dad are usually pleasant.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some students take the SAT in the 7th grade....

Feb 5, 2015, 7:38 AM [ in reply to 7th grade sat? was this extra?*** ]

...as part of TIP (Talent Identification Program), which is a well-respected program for intellectually gifted middle schoolers. See http://tip.duke.edu/node/44 (yes, it's run out of Duke) for details. If you score high enough on your SAT it opens the doors for several prestigious summer schools and it merits you early attention and scholarship consideration from lots of colleges.

careful what you ask for?

Feb 5, 2015, 7:46 AM

I asked for more details and in the answer I learned my kid is the dum dum.

oh well , at least usuc Costs less.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I wouldn't say that, exactly

Feb 5, 2015, 3:34 PM

It's a pretty small group of kids they test. My memories of middle school are extremely faint but out of about 400 7th graders, only 15 to 25 of us took the SAT that year.

(And not to brag, but let's just say I would have easily gotten into SCar with my 7th grade SAT score. And it wasn't even that high ;) )

Re: Some students take the SAT in the 7th grade....

Feb 5, 2015, 4:51 PM [ in reply to Some students take the SAT in the 7th grade.... ]

You are right my grandson took them last year in 7the grade also through Duke

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Thats what I asked when my eldest took it this year. Part

Feb 5, 2015, 7:55 AM [ in reply to 7th grade sat? was this extra?*** ]

of the Duke TIP (Talent Identification Program) for kids that score really well on some of the other standardized tests (I think its 95 percentile or better). I was proud of my son for going through the extra work.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2015, 7:24 AM

That's great and you should be proud. But to play Devil's advocate a little...if they are that gifted, why not set their sights a little higher than Clemson? My degree is Clemson and I agree it is a good school, but if it were one of my kids, I might expect they would be looking at GT or depending on their major, any of the very top schools...Stanford, Duke, UVA, etc...etc.

Feb 5, 2015, 7:27 AM

We are a Clenson family as well and I have a daughter that scored tops in the county on her 7th grade SAT. She is now in the 9th and has taken the PSAT and ACT and done very well on it. We are lucky enough to be able to send her to college summer camps and she has now been to three at CU. When I took her in for her IGP (individual graduation plan?), she answered the which college question with no doubt. We live in the low country , so she has attended a music camp at CSU and she enjoys that because she meets local people, but whenever she speaks of college, it is always Clemson. I feel your pride as well.

7th grade? is this mandatory. I have 1 kid in

Feb 5, 2015, 7:37 AM

7th grade. . No mention of sat.

How can they do that when 7th graders haven't taken calculus yet?
Heck I didn't take algebra until the 8th grade.

Re: 7th grade? is this mandatory. I have 1 kid in

Feb 5, 2015, 7:57 AM

No it's not mandatory but you can take it in the 7 th grade if you sign up for it. We wanted them to take it early to get a feel for what's coming. They did surprisingly well. My oldest , in the 7 th grade, did better than 93% of college bound seniors on the reading portion or whatever it's called. Math was the toughest for them both that young but they did do decent there too. I always helped them with math from very young so general algebra wasn't too hard for them.

Feb 5, 2015, 8:05 AM

I have twin boys in the 8th grade and they took it last year. They ended up both getting letters from Duke to attend their 2 week summer camp. I was one proud father. I have always pushed academics since before they started school. Unfortunately, they weren't able to attend as one caught Mono and his brother didn't want to go without him. What's even more unfortunate is that their grandparents made them into the biggest little coot fans but I guess your children can't be perfect. Both want to attend USC. I wish they'd consider Clemson more but I'll be proud that they further their education no matter where they go.

agreed. And I don't blame u for being proud.

Feb 5, 2015, 8:07 AM

Sounds like you've done a fine job.

Re: agreed. And I don't blame u for being proud.

Feb 5, 2015, 8:14 AM

Thank you! Same to you as well. All parents should preach education to their children from an early age. Sadly that's not the case anymore. Parents that don't care and children who don't want to go to school seems to be the norm now.

Feb 5, 2015, 8:18 AM

Thanks bud. I think I've done pretty good by my kids and helped them do well but sometimes I feel like I get so busy I don't play ball with them enough. I really need to work on that. I see some of you guys who are at the games and you do a much better job in that area than me. I'm really trying to improve on that.

Feb 5, 2015, 8:21 AM

I know what you mean. I'm having back surgery next month to repair a few busted disc and since I got hurt I have been unable to play ball with my kids. As a single dad, that hurts worse than my pain.

Though both of my kids talk about going to Clemson

Feb 5, 2015, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Re: 7th grade? is this mandatory. I have 1 kid in ]

My niece is there now, and that has helped even more than me hinting at them going to Clemson I think. I also told them they could go anywhere they want, but if they go to Clemson I will pay for it haha.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2015, 8:01 AM [ in reply to 7th grade? is this mandatory. I have 1 kid in ]

Oh, they did get to go to furman and get recognized for doing well . We were proud of them. Obviously they will do even better as they complete more school but we wanted to let them get a feel.

There's no calculus on the SAT.....***

Feb 5, 2015, 9:16 AM [ in reply to 7th grade? is this mandatory. I have 1 kid in ]

Feb 5, 2015, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Re: I have 3 sons and two of my oldest are tops in their respective classes ]

I love Clemson and all...but again, if she's that bright she's shooting waaaay too low.

Feb 5, 2015, 8:21 AM

We have four children. One girl and three boys.We told them at an early age that if they could do it academically, that we would send them wherever they wanted to go. Unfortunately they chose either private or out-of -state schools. One went to Clemson and, thankfully, no one to UNC!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My kid is a left handed pitcher and we live in Atlanta

Feb 5, 2015, 9:02 AM

so I'm sure Jack will give him a scholarship. Screw the SAT. The SAT just ruins a perfectly good SAT that could be spent on the lake or at the park!

I also have three sons... the oldest just got offered a full

Feb 5, 2015, 9:30 AM

schollie from the Green Bay Packers

The second oldest just signed with the Braves for 35 million over 5 years, even though he's only a 9th grader

The youngest isn't quite as athletic, but he did get a call from Rick Pitino last night after his 3rd grade bball game and they want to offer him

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Feb 5, 2015, 3:56 PM

I will just tell them that I'll help pay for it if they go to Clemson or an academically superior institution. That way they can either take on student loans to pay for their USuCk education or get help from good ol dad at Clemson or Duke. If by some miracle they are athletically gifted enough to earn a scholarship then I suppose that will take care of me paying for anything so they can go wherever they want. Call me sorry, I'm just making the tough decisions as a parent to help steer them away from a poor education.

Feb 5, 2015, 4:09 PM

Love you subliminal messages...LOL

That tactic has proven successful in my house as well!

Replies: 27
| visibility 3,383
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic