Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
50 years ago -Vietnam - Care packages from home
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

50 years ago -Vietnam - Care packages from home

Nov 30, 2020, 9:40 PM
thumbnail.jpeg(171.7 K)

One of the things we looked forward to was a package from the States filled with goodies. I had one aunt who made the best cookies and she would send me a "Care Package" about once a month. Hated to share those things but couldn't hog them for myself. She sometimes included a copy of the latest hometown newspaper - here I am catching up on recent happenings while being 10,000 miles from home. My last package from her arrived at the headquarters the day I was wounded, or so I was told by the supply sergeant who met the chopper at the field hospital when he heard that I was coming in for treatment. I told him to send it to my platoon with a note saying that I said to enjoy those cookies one last time. My best treat, however, was sent by a girl who wrote me frequently - she put a Honey Bun in a plain manila envelope and that thing arrived so flat that it was hard to tell what it was. Tasted great out in the rice paddies though, did not share that with anyone.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clover, your stories are an inspiration. Great photograph!***

Nov 30, 2020, 9:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam - Care packages from home

Nov 30, 2020, 9:48 PM

Ah yes. Care packages. Nothing better when you’re deployed. Any mail really. Got a letter in Saudi that had been mailed to me in Okinawa 3 years prior. Sucker had postal marks all over it.

Nov 30, 2020, 9:57 PM

C65, I love your pics and stories! Thanks for your service, and sharing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2020, 10:09 PM

Thanks for sharing your story and photos. Must have been a real moral boost to get a honey bun, from a honey.

My older sister would write regularly to a Navy Corpsman assigned to a Marine grunt platoon. They eventually got married ... about 20 years later.

I wrote lots of letters in my

Nov 30, 2020, 10:36 PM

“Bored to death” times (as opposed to the scared to death times). Postage was free from the war zone & paper & envelopes were free- just had to keep them dry. One girl from Georgia that I never met said she nearly had a nervous breakdown when she got the letter I wrote to tell her I was wounded- never did meet her but thought about sending her money to fly to DC to visit me at Walter Reed

Message was edited by: clover65®

You've still got a vinegar pie coming....say when.***

Nov 30, 2020, 11:02 PM

Nov 30, 2020, 11:39 PM

Great post brother! Love these.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2020, 7:32 AM

Reading and seeing the pictures makes me feel like I'm watching a documentary on the History Channel.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for your service

Dec 1, 2020, 7:46 AM

God bless you and Merry Christmas to you and your family

Dec 1, 2020, 8:19 AM

God bless you! I appreciate you sharing your personal stories.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 1, 2020, 9:15 AM

Thank you for your service!!! I worked for 17 years at the Dorn VA Medical Center in Columbia. Being a veteran myself, having served in the 2nd BN, 37th Armor, 1st Armored Division (Old Ironsides) in Germany, I was so used to saying so often to our great veteran, "Thank you for your service."

Now since I retired in 2017, I wear my 1st AD (Old Ironsides) hat when I go out, and at first someone would say to me "Thank you" and I had to ask them why. They would say "Thank you for your service." I was so used to saying that, but not used to having it said to me, and it didn't take me long to realize how wonderful it was to hear someone say that to me. I feel MUCH better now, thinking about the hundreds and hundreds of veterans that I said that to, knowing how it may have affected them, and made there day just a little bit better.

Dec 1, 2020, 12:06 PM

C65 ..... I don't remember getting any care packages, but some may have slipped my mind. We had an captain of Italian descent (Chips Catalonge) in my battalion whose mother used to send him all kinds if Italian sausages and mystery meats and when you walked into his hootch it was hanging from the rafters everywhere. He was quite a popular guy. I got an occasional letter from my mother and an aunt and the secretary from where I worked before going into the Marines (her son posts on Tigernet ..... y'all would know him). Letters were the best ..... but I might have traded a few letters for your cookies.

My aunt's cookies were the best ever

Dec 1, 2020, 2:43 PM

ICING ON TOP AND THEY WOULD MELT IN YOUR MOUTH - GLAD I LIVED LONG ENOUGH TO HAVE A SON TO ENJOY THEM, HE STILL THINKS THEY WERE THE BEST EVER. SADLY MY AUNT IS NO LONGER LIVING TO TREAT OTHERS WITH THEM

Sorry for the all caps, but I am not typing all that over.

Re: My aunt's cookies were the best ever

Dec 1, 2020, 4:36 PM

Clover65 --- Always enjoy your posts and thanks for your service. Your comments and the comments of other posters remind me of many of my experiences. I may have posted this before so If I have, pardon the repeat. When I was in Europe during WW2, one of my sisters wrote and asked if there was anything she could send me. I wrote her that I sure missed those green boiled peanuts but I doubted there was anyway she could send some without their spoiling before reaching me. The husband of one of her friends had a canning business. My sister mentioned to her one day about my request. Her friend talked with her husband and he told her if my sister would boil the peanuts he would put them in a quart can and they should arrive in good shape. That was the first time I had ever heard of canned green boiled peanuts. They were great. Most of my buddies were from the North and not lovers of green boiled peanuts so I did not have to share them.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe, reading your stories and seeing

Dec 1, 2020, 5:28 PM

how well they were accepted gave me the push to start posting mine- the positive comments from all the guys above has allowed me to post about more experiences. You inspire more folks than you will ever know

Re: Joe, reading your stories and seeing

Dec 2, 2020, 12:48 AM

Document it FURTHER!

This would make a great book brother. Let the legacy live my friend. It is worth it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2020, 5:33 PM

Your postings touch my heart. From 63-66 I was a stew on an airline (Riddle DC3s then Airlift International DC8) which flew in and out of DaNang. I will never, ever forget the young innocent boys we brought in and the sad, beaten men we brought out. We flew troops everywhere, but there was never anything like VietNam. Thank You for your service and your sacrifice. My prayers and gratitude to all of you.
I will never, ever watch a Jane Fonda movie.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reading your T-Net bio hits home

Dec 1, 2020, 5:43 PM

with me- Clemson fan , Winthrop, Elementary Education, flight attendant,and retired. Many of my favorite things.( plus anti Hanoi Jane)

just updated!***

Dec 1, 2020, 6:16 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2020, 12:12 AM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam - Care packages from home ]

Zoe .... you can never imagine how refreshing it was to see the wonderful women who played a part in the Viet Nam experience ..... everyone from the Donut Dollies (Red Cross ladies that visited my compound), to the flight attendants, the nurses on the USS Sanctuary, the young college girls that performed in the theater for us at the Naval Hospital in Guam, ............. Thanks you for your service as well.

Dec 2, 2020, 12:37 AM

@cclover65®, hottest commodity in country, in the bush from home or something that was in short supply often???

Curious!

Dec 2, 2020, 7:09 AM

Not sure just what you are asking..... clarify????

Dec 2, 2020, 8:24 AM

Thank you for your wonderful posts. We have been blessed with young men who love our country enough to serve. Many haven't been thanked enough but believe me, I've lifted many up in prayer.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic