Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"5-star recruit:" The hubris of UGA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

"5-star recruit:" The hubris of UGA

Jul 7, 2017, 3:35 PM

"5-star recruit"

Is there a fanbase out there more enamored with this term than UGA?

Growing up (and still residing in) Georgia, that's all I ever hear about from them. Apparently every guy they get is a 5-star recruit or something, because that seems to be all they ever brag about.

This is the case now, with our dear friend superdawg51 and several of my UGA buddies. They come out of the woods around national signing day and brag about "yet another top 5 class" with no less than "ten 5-stars."

They thump their chests after the spring game after all the 5 stars show out during their little scrimmage.

They talk big talk in the months of June and July because they are oh-so-ready for that long-awaited next SEC championship or even national title.

The hubris is in full effect during fall camp, when the reports start coming out...all 47 5-star players on the roster look to be living up to their potential...the team has come together and has strong chemistry...all 4 of their 5-star RB's are potential Heisman candidates...coaching staff feels confident that this is 'their year....'

Then, something interesting happens...

They start playing the games

A big win early in the season validates all the offseason hype! THE DAWGS ARE BACK! And wouldn't you know it, right on cue, a loss to Missouri. Or Vanderbilt. Or Tennessee. And all of the sudden, the narrative changes...

"We have no talent!"

"The SEC is too good of a league to expect to compete in regularly!"

"Our playcalling sucks! We need a new coordinator/coach!"

"Our AD isn't committed, we need new facilities!"

And before you know it, Georgia is sitting at 8-9 wins in December watching yet another p!ss poor Florida (or MISSOURI) team get slaughtered in Atlanta at the hands of Alabama.

So far, this offseason appears no different:

Dawg fans running their mouths over the summer as they celebrate yet another offseason/recruiting national championship. Gloating over every single recruiting story that comes out. Already ready to dump their former "5-star, #1 rated QB" in favor of their latest freshman 5-star QB, with another 5 star QB coming in after.

New sheriff in town with a new mindset and new coaches with a new system and new 5-star recruits that are better than the old 5-star recruits who actually weren't that good after all....

But come December, they will have their tails tucked between their legs wondering how on Earth they let another season with so much promise slip away from them yet again.

Maybe next year, Jawja fans?

You see, the games aren't won on paper. A team's ability isn't measured by recruiting rankings. And a program's CULTURE isn't changed by simply swapping coaches. UGA has developed a culture of underachieving, even more so than Clemson was once considered to be. Is Kirby the guy to turn it around? My gut says no, but then again, most people said the same thing about Dabo.

Only time will tell. But until then, I will let them continue to bask in their offseason success. I prefer to savor the glory of championships that are won on the field.

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't read any of this, TBH, but I just want to comment

Jul 7, 2017, 3:41 PM

that I think it's so awesome that Clemson is lucky to be able to stay in ACC & not have to play Ga every year; I mean just imagine how worse the head-to-head would be. I also imagine Ga having several more conference titles (than Clemson, obvi) if they were in ACC.

Further proof that Clemson is the luckiest football school on earth; do you guys even have any other sports teams? (Hard to tell sometimes.)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't read any of this, TBH,

Jul 7, 2017, 3:43 PM

but I agree with whatever you said

^^ Tomfoolery.

Jul 7, 2017, 3:50 PM

My drivel spawns from the fact I'm barred from RAG since not an actual Clemson alumni, & your prodding fibbery only makes me eager to continue contributing counter-intuitive fun "anti-fan-facts" that is no better than the typical coot logic found on an SEC fan forum.

You find it far too easy to publicly lie like this.

Re...?..?

Jul 7, 2017, 5:10 PM

If you attended CLEMSON for five semesters as you claim you are indeed an alumni, like it or not!

I'm sorry I read this. But, I was watching youtube replay

Jul 7, 2017, 3:46 PM [ in reply to I didn't read any of this, TBH, but I just want to comment ]

of Clemson University winning the National Championship over the mighty University of Alabama. So, I'm not sure I got much out of it. Think about all the lucky teams that got to sit home and watch Clemson play in the playoffs and the National Championship games two years in a row. Most of them didn't have to play 15 game, 30 games in two years. Talk about luck.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You were watching Princeton vs Georgia, you maroon.

Jul 7, 2017, 3:57 PM

& despite Georgia losing in the end, their running back did indeed get into the end zone against the tigers.

Good lord, I thought you guys were bright. You don't even know who you're not.

One thing is for certain, outside of football, you're not SCU (great basketball & baseball programs. How about Clemson's?) & you're certainly not Ga. (Baseball championship & Heisman winner.)

You WERE 1910 Princeton last season, but now you're back to being, well, Cornell or something.

Re: You were watching Princeton vs Georgia, you maroon.

Jul 7, 2017, 4:34 PM

Usuk's a baseball school?! Watch some sports, woman...

Jul 7, 2017, 5:47 PM [ in reply to You were watching Princeton vs Georgia, you maroon. ]

Serious question, who peed in your cornflakes?

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I eat bulldog testes for breakfast.

Jul 7, 2017, 6:34 PM

Don't kwizz me.

Jul 7, 2017, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: You were watching Princeton vs Georgia, you maroon. ]

LLL is just another chicken too ashamed to come in here under her team's banner. Instead it's SEC this and SEC that. You guys are only good at one sport. It sounds like a regurgitation of The State paper. #pathetic

You're dumb

Jul 7, 2017, 6:43 PM [ in reply to You were watching Princeton vs Georgia, you maroon. ]

But nothing personal.

You're dumb

Jul 7, 2017, 6:43 PM [ in reply to You were watching Princeton vs Georgia, you maroon. ]

But nothing personal.

Congratulations on that 80-81 season

Jul 8, 2017, 6:29 PM [ in reply to You were watching Princeton vs Georgia, you maroon. ]

You're back!

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

Buffoon much?***

Jul 7, 2017, 6:41 PM [ in reply to I didn't read any of this, TBH, but I just want to comment ]

Re: I didn't read any of this, TBH, but I just want to comment

Jul 8, 2017, 8:07 PM [ in reply to I didn't read any of this, TBH, but I just want to comment ]

We tried to schedule Jawja.... but they'd have none of that. Said they wanted to save their OOC scheduling for a powerhouse like App State or Samford. Toot your seCheat horn all you want....but the sec is better top to bottom doesn't fly here. We know better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jul 8, 2017, 8:07 PM [ in reply to I didn't read any of this, TBH, but I just want to comment ]

We tried to schedule Jawja.... but they'd have none of that. Said they wanted to save their OOC scheduling for a powerhouse like App State or Samford. Toot your seCheat horn all you want....but the sec is better top to bottom doesn't fly here. We know better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jul 8, 2017, 11:52 PM [ in reply to I didn't read any of this, TBH, but I just want to comment ]

ACC 9-3 in bowl games, SEC 6-7. 4 of the 7 losses come to ACC teams. Come on. Lets hear it. Oh them teams didnt want to be playing in them meaningless bowl games. How bout the rivalry games? No way you can say they dont mean something. In the four in state rivalry games matching ACC vs SEC teams, the ACC is dominating. 10-2 in the last 3 years. No one from the SEC East has won the conference in close to a decade. The SEC aint what it used to be.

Not a big Ga. fan are ya CU...

Jul 7, 2017, 3:43 PM

:)

Re: Not a big Ga. fan are ya CU...

Jul 7, 2017, 5:55 PM

What makes you think that?

;)

My significant other is actually a dawg grad, so deep down I would be ok with them winning a title, just because of what it would mean to her and some of my close UGA friends. Especially after getting to finally celebrate one myself!

Just can't stand some of their arrogant fans. Every fambase has that, but UGA might have the worst of the bottom 5%

Growing up in Ga, the mutts were my equivalent of coots!

Re: "5-star recruit:" The hubris of UGA

Jul 7, 2017, 3:45 PM

Yea we won the Natty so crawl under the rock in Missouri or Vandy.

Jul 7, 2017, 3:57 PM
image.jpg(109.6 K)

Man the more trash talk I hear from the Clemson haters the better this looks.

All UGA fans talked about last year was how Richt left them

Jul 7, 2017, 4:38 PM

with no talent.

It was laughably absurd.

Re: All UGA fans talked about last year was how Richt left them

Jul 7, 2017, 4:54 PM

National Football Championships

UGAY-1
Clemson-@

The defense rests

Re: All UGA fans talked about last year was how Richt left them

Jul 7, 2017, 4:56 PM

@=2

Well, they have been conditioned to think everything

Jul 7, 2017, 4:50 PM

is five star...

well said buddy

Jul 7, 2017, 5:23 PM

I lived in Atlanta for almost 6 years. You hit the nail on the head. I love to watch the dogs blow it.

Re: well said buddy

Jul 17, 2017, 1:38 PM

Thanks, I love watching them blow it too!

Hubris?

Jul 7, 2017, 6:37 PM

Isnt that something you dip chips in?

Jul 7, 2017, 6:43 PM

They lost 5 games with their 5* QB in the worst P5 division in the country. Do it again and they'll be looking for a new HC next season.

Jul 7, 2017, 7:50 PM

> "5-star recruit"

Is there a fanbase out there
> more enamored with this term than UGA?

Growing
> up (and still residing in) Georgia, that's all I ever
> hear about from them. Apparently every guy they get
> is a 5-star recruit or something, because that seems
> to be all they ever brag about.

This is the
> case now, with our dear friend > href="/view/profile.do?userID=96726">superdawg51> span> and several of my UGA buddies. They come out of
> the woods around national signing day and brag about
> "yet another top 5 class" with no less than "ten
> 5-stars."

They thump their chests after the
> spring game after all the 5 stars show out during
> their little scrimmage.

They talk big talk in
> the months of June and July because they are
> oh-so-ready for that long-awaited next SEC
> championship or even national title.

The
> hubris is in full effect during fall camp, when the
> reports start coming out...all 47 5-star players on
> the roster look to be living up to their
> potential...the team has come together and has strong
> chemistry...all 4 of their 5-star RB's are potential
> Heisman candidates...coaching staff feels confident
> that this is 'their year....'

Then, something
> interesting happens...

They start
> playing the games

A big win early
> in the season validates all the offseason hype! THE
> DAWGS ARE BACK! And wouldn't you know it, right on
> cue, a loss to Missouri. Or Vanderbilt. Or Tennessee.
> And all of the sudden, the narrative
> changes...

"We have no talent!"

"The
> SEC is too good of a league to expect to compete in
> regularly!"

"Our playcalling sucks! We need a
> new coordinator/coach!"

"Our AD isn't
> committed, we need new facilities!"

And before
> you know it, Georgia is sitting at 8-9 wins in
> December watching yet another p!ss poor Florida (or
> MISSOURI) team get slaughtered in Atlanta at the
> hands of Alabama.

So far, this
> offseason appears no different:

Dawg fans
> running their mouths over the summer as they
> celebrate yet another offseason/recruiting national
> championship. Gloating over every single recruiting
> story that comes out. Already ready to dump their
> former "5-star, #1 rated QB" in favor of their latest
> freshman 5-star QB, with another 5 star QB coming in
> after.

New sheriff in town with a new mindset
> and new coaches with a new system and new 5-star
> recruits that are better than the old 5-star recruits
> who actually weren't that good after
> all....

But come December, they will have
> their tails tucked between their legs wondering how
> on Earth they let another season with so much promise
> slip away from them yet again.
>

Maybe next year, Jawja
> fans?

You see, the games aren't
> won on paper. A team's ability isn't measured by
> recruiting rankings. And a program's CULTURE isn't
> changed by simply swapping coaches. UGA has developed
> a culture of underachieving, even more so than
> Clemson was once considered to be. Is Kirby the guy
> to turn it around? My gut says no, but then again,
> most people said the same thing about Dabo.
>

Only time will tell. But until then, I will
> let them continue to bask in their offseason success.
> I prefer to savor the glory of championships that are
> won on the field.

Go Tigers!

Ga's only signed six 5-star athletes since 2013. Your useless post is useless.

Five of those six have been signed by Kirby. Two in 2015 and three in 2016. He's building a monster.....sorry.

Yeah UGAy hasn't really signed incredibly highly

Jul 7, 2017, 7:56 PM

ranked recruiting classes then proceeded to not achieve much of anything with them. Nah, that's just Clemson fans spouting nonsense.

Or is it?

Can Georgia-ing be a word?

Jul 7, 2017, 7:57 PM [ in reply to Re: "5-star recruit:" The hubris of UGA ]

Hahahahahaha, building a monster. Man, you are a coot in dawg disguise. DeLOUsional.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol..

Jul 7, 2017, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Re: "5-star recruit:" The hubris of UGA ]

Cue the village idiot.

Ask Candy Vandy and GT about that "monster

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What?

Jul 8, 2017, 12:27 AM [ in reply to Re: "5-star recruit:" The hubris of UGA ]

You missed the point.

I wasn't talking about how many 5 star guys were actually signed...I was referencing how the fans tend to brag about their recruiting classes. It was sarcasm. I was also recalling my own personal experiences and feelings based off of living in Georgia for almost 30 years...

And you threw that nonsense about "only signing six 5-stars since 2013" for what reason? What does that have to do with anything? And you aren't even right about that either; UGA has signed eight 5-star guys since 2013. 3 were signed by Richt outright, and 3 more were already being recruited by Richt when he was let go

Since UGA's last SEC championship in 2005, they have signed 17 5-star recruits and have had an average class ranking of 8

In that same time frame, Clemson has signed 16 5-star recruits and has had an average class ranking of 13.

UGA has won 2 division titles and 0 conference titles since 2005. Clemson has won 4 division titles and 3 conference titles since 2005.

You can't argue that UGA never had the talent, including the final years of Richt's tenure. They recruited better than Clemson yet have far less to show for it

On paper, Kirby is most definitely building a monster. Last 2 classes have been phenomenal. But Richt was building a monster too. He had equally as impressive signing classes.

So what happened? The same thing that might happen to Kirby? Hmmmm....

And no need to apologize. Dabo has already built his monster. We are coming off back to back championship game seasons. We go head-to-head with you for the top recruits in your state, and lately, we have outrecruited you in your own backyard. We have lost FIVE games in the past 3 seasons.

Sorry superdawg, but UGA is in Clemson's rear-view mirror right now. For your sake, I sure hope Kirby can build something down there

Jul 8, 2017, 8:33 PM [ in reply to Re: "5-star recruit:" The hubris of UGA ]

How's that new $30 million IPF working out for you lately? Paying big dividends?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

POTD!!!!!!***

Jul 7, 2017, 8:36 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2017, 5:09 AM

Everything you've just said only proves what Dabo has said since he has been HC at Clemson. Dabo has constantly said that a college FB National Championship is one of the most allusive games there is to win in college sports. Without big time talent along with a dedicated coaching staff and luck, the FB National Championship is the hardest prize in college sports to win, and if it was easy everybody would have won at least one. The old BCS way of getting a spot in the NCG mostly depended on media hype and the name of the school getting the most hype, a lot of teams that didn't deserve to be there was. Having to actually play the game and winning your way into playing for the coveted biggest FB prize is a much harder task to get there and win it than ever before. Two loss SEC teams will no longer be playing for a national championship. The UGA, Bama, Auburn, and Tennessee will no longer be media hyped into a national championship game against teams that play a weak schedule year in and year out, or two top sec teams. Now getting into one of the playoff spots and winning your way into the National championship game and winning it, it's the hardest thing to do in college FB now more than ever in the history of college FB. UGA more than ever will have to be the best team in the sec and win their way into the NCG. Now it's easier said than done, and they will have to over achieve, not under achieve to ever get back to another NCG. All their bragging is getting the easy part done, now they will have to prove what they can do with all the talent they recruit....

Jul 17, 2017, 1:37 PM

+1

Jul 8, 2017, 8:26 PM

They think Kirvy is the next great Saban which is hilarious in itself. So last spring he asked for a sellout spring game yet had to fork out $100,000 for a washed up Ludicris to bring fans. So bush league pathetic ??

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic