Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
5 Greatest NBA Players of All-Time:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 74
| visibility 1

5 Greatest NBA Players of All-Time:

May 29, 2018, 9:30 AM

This list is dominated by centers and number of championships is a major consideration. It should give you guys something to argue about for a while.

1.Michael Jordan (6-0 in NBA Finals, 6 times Finals MVP, 5 times NBA MVP, 10 times all NBA first team, 9 times all NBA Defensive Team, 30 points 6 rebounds 5 assists for career)

2. Bill Russell ( 11-1 in NBA Finals, 5 times NBA MVP, 15 points 22 rebounds 4 assists for career, didn’t keep stats for blocked shots and didn’t award all defensive team nor finals MVP when he played, PLAYER-COACH last 3 seasons)

3. Kareem Abdul Jabbar (6-4 in NBA Finals, 2 times NBA Finals MVP, 6 times NBA MVP, 10 times All NBA First team, 5 Times All NBA Defensive team, 24 points, 11 rebounds for career)

4. Lebron James (3-5 in NBA Finals, 3 times NBA Finals MVP, 4 times NBA MVP, 12 times All NBA First team, 5 times NBA All Defensive First Team, 27 points, 7 Rebounds, 7 assists for career)

Tie 5. Wilt Chamberlain (2-4 in NBA Finals, 1 NBA Finals MVP, 4 times NBA MVP, 7 times all NBA First Team, 2 times All NBA Defensive Team, averaged 30 points, 22 rebounds for career, averaged 50 points a game in 61-62, SLEPT WITH 20,000 women 0 men)
5. Magic Johnson (5-4 in NBA Finals, 3 times NBA Finals MVP, 3 times NBA MVP, 9 times NBA First Team, avg. 19 points, 12 assists, and 7 rebounds for career)

7,8,9 probably Oscar Robertson, Larry Bird, and Tim Duncan not sure of order.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 5 Greatest NBA Players of All-Time:

May 29, 2018, 9:44 AM

Not in any particular order:

Larry Bird
Bob Cousy
Jerry West
John Havlicek
Rick Barry

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2018, 9:47 AM

Bahahaha! Be careful, your white supremacy is showing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2018, 8:04 PM

Dang dude how the people that pick all black

May 29, 2018, 8:08 PM

Wouldn't an all-black top 5 be far less of a statistical outlier, considering the NBA is ~75% black?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2018, 10:17 PM

Not if the guy thinks his five is better. Duh

May 29, 2018, 8:08 PM [ in reply to Re: 5 Greatest NBA Players of All-Time: ]

Bahahaha! Be careful, your white supremacy is showing.

Dunno... Those are some pretty good white players...

And that's coming from a black man....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang good but doesn’t compare to MJ, Russell, Kareem,

May 29, 2018, 10:22 PM

Lebron, etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Top 5 white guys? As a Celtic fan,

May 29, 2018, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: 5 Greatest NBA Players of All-Time: ]

Havlicek one of my favorites.

May 30, 2018, 12:21 AM [ in reply to Re: 5 Greatest NBA Players of All-Time: ]

I hate Lebron but he deserves to be 2

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2018, 9:58 AM

I could go along with your list. glad you left Shaq and Kobe off. All Shaq could do was charge, then dunk.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not going to argue for him being top 5, but Shaq was

May 29, 2018, 10:11 AM

insane. He was better than Kobe IMO.

Great player. I'd have him as #4 Center behind Russell,

May 29, 2018, 10:39 AM

Kareem, and Wilt.

When Shaq was in his best shape

May 29, 2018, 10:50 AM

he would have physically abused any of those 3 guys. All 3 of those faced weak competition.

Snowflake Basher........Out

This is based on their time in the league.***

May 29, 2018, 11:00 AM

Re: This is based on their time in the league.***

May 29, 2018, 1:15 PM

That's fine... but it needs to have a caveat that this is "a list of the best players at dominating smaller, whiter opponents." ;)

I know right? Were there 6 other players over 6-9 when

May 29, 2018, 7:32 PM

Russell played?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There were only 10 teams in 1966. Assuming they

May 29, 2018, 10:25 PM

all had one or two over 6’9” but with Wilt, Nate Thurmond, and Willis Reed, Russell had plenty of battles against elite big men.

You're assuming though, were there REALLY 20 players 6-9

May 29, 2018, 10:47 PM

or better?

Looked up four teams in the East from 65-66, Celts,

May 29, 2018, 10:58 PM

Bullets, Knicks, and Sixers, and there are 9. You look up the other 6 teams.

Why? I didn't say there were up to 20***

May 29, 2018, 11:01 PM

Neither did I. I said I assumed each team had one or two.

May 29, 2018, 11:27 PM

I looked at four teams. They all had at least two.

Nobody would physically abuse Wilt Chamberlain!***

May 29, 2018, 7:44 PM [ in reply to When Shaq was in his best shape ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wilt Chamberlain would not get physically abused by anyone!

May 29, 2018, 7:53 PM [ in reply to When Shaq was in his best shape ]

Shaq could not run the floor with Wilt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you watch Shaq when he was with the Magic?

May 29, 2018, 9:00 PM

Most nimble and athletic 300+ lb man I've ever seen and he could absolutely run the floor back then. He got up to like 340 later with the Lakers but he could still move and he wouldve had 70 lbs on Wilt at that point.

Greatest in their time or who would win now?

May 29, 2018, 10:47 AM

"Russell never averaged more than 18.9 points per game (1961-62), he played during a pace-inflated era when stars rarely left the court, and as a shooter, he wasn't much more efficient than the league average."

Jordan would still be good in this league... but his big struggle in 3-point shooting would make him less dominant, as help defense now makes it harder to drive to the rim.

Magic might be like Lebron in this league now. They are eerily similar, but Magic had far better teammates.

Kareem would not be a Top 5 player today. Centers just aren't as valuable as wing-men today.

If you took anyone in history and put them in today's league where we have more advanced defensive and offensive technique, skills and schemes, my top 5 would be....

1. Lebron James
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kevin Durant
4. Michael Jordan
5. Larry Bird

In their time only. Magic, Bird, nor Jordan would be

May 29, 2018, 10:59 AM

great players today. Jordan would be good not great. Magic nor Bird would make a team today because they couldn't guard anyone.

Re: In their time only. Magic, Bird, nor Jordan would be

May 29, 2018, 11:11 AM

How would they not be good players today. 3 of the highest basketball it's ever. Plus they played a more physical and team game than they do today. The question is would some of the players today have been good players back then.

Jordan maybe. Bird/Magic haven't played in close to 30 years

May 29, 2018, 11:17 AM

If you don't think players are bigger, stronger, faster, and can jump higher today, then I don't know what to say.

Bird/Magic couldn't guard anyone today.

Example, Bird would have to guard Lebron. Magic would have to guard Durant. They couldn't do it.

He's right that some of those guys would get really

May 29, 2018, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Re: In their time only. Magic, Bird, nor Jordan would be ]

abused on defense in today's game.

My counter argument to that is those guys would be in better physical condition if they played today. There have been so many advancements in medicine, diet, strength and conditioning, and even travel since the 80's that those guys never had access to.

Re: He's right that some of those guys would get really

May 29, 2018, 11:28 AM

Again ,3 of highest it's to ever play the game. They also got abused then because contact was allowed. Very physical game then, not so much today. They also played team basketball and not as much iso. Can't hardly watch today. If u don't think they could compete with today's players is a joke. I guess 6'9" is taller today than 6'9" was back then . Kinda like sec speed.

NBA game greater today than ever. As a Laker fan and them

May 29, 2018, 11:38 AM

so bad, you probably don't watch enough.;) There is better passing, better D, and more strength and speed. Just watch the Warriors whip the ball around the horn. Lebron is one of the best passers of all time.

The only thing I don't like about today's game is they get two steps on dunks instead of one.

When they outlawed hand checking, there was a big change, but today's players are too big and strong to allow hand-checking. The game would get very ugly fast.

Re: NBA game greater today than ever. As a Laker fan and them

May 29, 2018, 11:52 AM

There is NO d today. Don't know how old u are, but in the 80's was real defense. So much so at least one person was bloody on agiven night. Plus they called traveling and carrying. U have 2-3 teams that play really good team basketball and what 4 good teams all together? Very popular right now but not my cup of tea like it used to be.

D greater than ever. Cavs D smothered Celtics on Sunday and

May 29, 2018, 11:58 AM

Warriors D smothered Houston last night. Offense is usually just better.

Anyone that says this either doesn't watch the NBA anymore or

May 29, 2018, 9:06 PM [ in reply to Re: NBA game greater today than ever. As a Laker fan and them ]

Is just too stubborn to acknowledge the truth. The defense in the playoffs this year has been incredible.

Thank You***

May 29, 2018, 9:46 PM

Re: NBA game greater today than ever. As a Laker fan and them

May 29, 2018, 7:10 PM [ in reply to NBA game greater today than ever. As a Laker fan and them ]

Many people would argue that basketball was better in the 70s 80s and 90s. They believe teams never missed a layup or close shot. D back then was just amazing lmao. Basketball, as any sport, has gotten better over time and will only continue to get better. Players are becoming better and better in every sport.

It is funny how sports is the only thing not affected by

May 29, 2018, 9:58 PM

bigger stronger faster equals better...Basketball in particular

No Magic, No Bird... You make No Sense... Totally clueless.***

May 29, 2018, 8:43 PM [ in reply to In their time only. Magic, Bird, nor Jordan would be ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah and John Reynold's Iron Brigade Circa 1863

May 29, 2018, 9:13 PM [ in reply to In their time only. Magic, Bird, nor Jordan would be ]

Would be horrible today in Ramadi or Fallujah against ISIS. Anachronistic comparisons never work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it really harder to drive to the rim? The court is more

May 29, 2018, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Greatest in their time or who would win now? ]

spread out than ever now. I'm curious if you were actually around to watch that era of basketball in person. It's not like he blew by one defender and finished uncontested at the rim. He was a magician at getting shots off around 2-3 defenders. There were plenty of good shot blockers in the league back then and they didn't get pulled out to the 3 point line back in those days - they were all in and around the paint ready to protect the rim.

If you don't believe me check out this grainy video of guys in short shorts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_RLjmI6fK4

Re: Is it really harder to drive to the rim? The court is more

May 29, 2018, 11:23 AM

Love that video. And I was a Lakers fan. Bball just not the same. And remember, MJ was 6'4- 6'5" and light in that a$$.

Court is more spread-out due to 3-pt shooting...... but...

May 29, 2018, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Is it really harder to drive to the rim? The court is more ]

MJ is a two-guard that was not good at 3-pt shooting. Name me one top 2-guard in this league that is not a good 3-pt shooter. Maybe if you paired him with a knockdown guy like Thompson or Curry (Kerr), then they could spread the floor for him, but his own effectiveness would be limited because a guy like Steph or KD could just outscore him due to point differential between 2s and 3s... which is why teams are shooting 3s at a ridiculous pace nowadays.

The removal of illegal defense also made help defense easier, thus making it more difficult to drive. Plus offensive foul calls are becoming more advanced. I think that he would still be the top driver in the NBA today (either him or Lebron), but I can't give him the nod as a 2-guard that would struggle from range. Of course, he'd probably work his butt off (like Lebron has) and master behind the arc as well.

I don't think it really matters that he was a 2 guard

May 29, 2018, 2:11 PM

He didn't play the position like a shooting guard. He was elite at getting to the basket and finishing, much like Lebron. MJ was a career 33% 3-pt shooter vs Lebron at a little over 34%. Neither were/are great 3-point shooters, but both were/are competent enough.

I truly think that if Jordan had played today and thought that he needed to shoot more 3s and raise his % a bit he could've done so. It just wasn't nearly as valuable of a skill back then (at least that's how it was perceived at the time).

Michaels best 3 years shooting the 3 were a facade

May 29, 2018, 7:04 PM

The NBA shortened the 3 point line for 3 years. Do you know when that was? During MJ’s second 3 peat, when he had by far his highest 3pt percentage.

If steph curry can get off a 3 then Jordan can get off a 3

May 29, 2018, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Greatest in their time or who would win now? ]

Plus i'd imagine Jordan was a better outside shooter, ball handler, and better creator of his shot than Lebron is. Jordan is a better free throw shooter than Lebron. And lebron would be spending way more time at the line if he played back in those days. Teams didn't allow one man shows to prosper without that person paying a hefty price. I bet you put Rodman on him he gets flustered and then Laimbeer puts that elbow under his chin when he drives to the bucket he gets alot less bold game by game. He's good but i'd flip that ranking by putting Jordan where he is and Lebron where you have Jordan. I can get on board with that...

Steph has better handles and quicker release

May 29, 2018, 1:20 PM

Let's also not forget that Jordan was only 215, while Lebron has played mostly over 250, so he has a massive size and strength advantage. Lebron is the only player that has ever played that can play and guard all 5 positions.

I'd say Jordan would be the better ball handler, but Lebron is a better outside shooter. They are even in creating shots. Both are ridiculous at that. Michael was a better FT shooter (by 10%). I think Lebron would be spending LESS time at the line back then because they called less fouls. I don't think Lebron would have any trouble with the physicality of the game. He is close to the greatest physical specimen to ever walk this planet. I'd hate to see him allowed to be more physical on either end of the court. It could be deadly.

Re: Greatest in their time or who would win now?

May 29, 2018, 8:18 PM [ in reply to Greatest in their time or who would win now? ]

Russell would be on the team due to his rebounding and defense alone. I would never look at his offensive statistics, although anything in double digits would be more than sufficient.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2018, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Greatest in their time or who would win now? ]

Yo lost me with Durant. He isn't even the best player on his team.

May 29, 2018, 9:50 PM

He is by far the best player on his team.

May 29, 2018, 11:36 AM

Any top 5 list without Larry Bird on it isnt relevant. People forget (or weren't born yet) that when Bird retired many regarded his as the best ever. When Jordan retired it switched to MJ. Now for some reason the Johnny-come-lately crowd is cheerleading some serious revisionist history. Bird is minimum top 3 all-time.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a Bird lover and Celtic fan since the 60s, you are dead

May 29, 2018, 11:41 AM

wrong. Bird was an awesome player but I'd have him behind Lebron as the best SF of all-time. Consider this, he and Magic played almost the exact same years. Magic won 5 rings, Bird 3 with a very equal supporting cast.

Re: As a Bird lover and Celtic fan since the 60s, you are dead

May 29, 2018, 11:42 AM

agreed - as a celtics fan who is disgusted that the lesser team won sunday night, bird is top 10 but not top 3.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Think the best team won both conference finals, but

May 29, 2018, 12:08 PM

can’t wait to see Celts, 2019-2025. The times are a changing.

May 29, 2018, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Re: As a Bird lover and Celtic fan since the 60s, you are dead ]

LoL for The Ambiguously Gay Duo ! +1 on the Ace and Gary ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 29, 2018, 12:41 PM [ in reply to As a Bird lover and Celtic fan since the 60s, you are dead ]

Nope, you're wrong my friend. Byron Scott and Scottie Pippen won more championships too, that doesnt make them better than Bird. I'd argue that Bird did more with less than Magic. Bird's supporting cast wasnt very athletic, but he made his teammates better than they were. No way he's not in the top 3. LeBron is over-rated, plays in a watered down NBA.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's see, when they played against each other 3 times in

May 29, 2018, 12:49 PM

the finals, Bird had Parrish, McHale, Ainge, Dennis Johnson, Scott Wedman, Gerald Henderson, M.L. Carr...

Magic had Kareem, Worthy, Michael Cooper, Byron Scott, Mitch Kupchek, Rambis...

Maybe Magic had the better supporting cast by a hair.

Those amazing supporting casts certainly made things easier

May 29, 2018, 1:30 PM

for Magic and Bird. I’m not taking anything away from them, but it’s easy to only look at championships when evaluating great players and forget that they had a LOT of help.

This is why comparing players is so hard to do. Almost all of the players with multiple rings played with other superstars. How do you really compare someone from a great Celtic or Laker squad with a guy who hasn’t had the good fortune of such a good cast?

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Exactly***

May 29, 2018, 2:13 PM

May 29, 2018, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Re: As a Bird lover and Celtic fan since the 60s, you are dead ]

Lebron is overrated??? Hahahahhahahahaha

kudos for number one

May 29, 2018, 11:40 AM

and its NOT debatable

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

SLEPT WITH 20,000 women 0 men

May 29, 2018, 11:44 AM

As strong of an argument for GOAT status as any IMO.

May 29, 2018, 12:19 PM

Larry Nance , Dale Davis , Elden Campbell , Tree Rollins and Greg Buckner .

This was not hard .

DB23

May 29, 2018, 1:23 PM

Lebron is 3-5 in the Finals, not 3-7.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2018, 1:55 PM

Bill Russell

Michael Jordan

Wilt Chamberlain

Larry Bird

Magic Johnson

in no particular order

May 29, 2018, 2:03 PM

Meadowlark, Curly, Moe, Larry, and Shem

Wilt was a Globetrotter for a few years.***

May 29, 2018, 2:16 PM

wrong forum

May 29, 2018, 7:38 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/The-Pro-Zone-96

Since you don't include any Clemson players.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: wrong forum

May 29, 2018, 7:45 PM

^^^ d bag alert

May 29, 2018, 8:05 PM

Larry Bird and magic has to be top 5

May 29, 2018, 8:20 PM

1. Lebron
2. Jordan
3. Wilt
4. Russell
5. Kareem

May 29, 2018, 9:52 PM

Mj
Hakeem Olajuwon
John Stockton
Charles barkley
Magic Johnson

Message was edited by: DirtyTiger2000

May 30, 2018, 12:33 AM

I agree with 1. Michael Jordan and would probably say Bill Russell (Mr. Championship) is more of a 1b. than a two. Two totally different players, but no one has ever come close to being as dominant as those two, or just a guaranteed lock for greatness every time they took the court.

After that, it’s hard to say. Some kind of mix up of Chamberlain, Jabar, Johnson. James would definitely be the greatest player of the past decade, but he was not clutch at all years ago, so it makes it hard to put him top five. He is definitely top ten though. Larry Bird is probably top ten also.

But the competition MJ dominated against. Those were all time type teams loaded with hall of famers. I just don’t think there will be another MJ. Watching him play was one of the greatest experiences sports fans ever had.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A generationally debatable discussion... I've yet to see

May 30, 2018, 3:52 PM

anyone mention 'The Big O' (Oscar Robertson for those that don't know)... He averaged a triple/double for his first five years in the NBA... He was the first 'big guard' and could easily play in today's NBA. 11-time NBA All-Star. Maybe not a top 5, but surely a top 10.

Apologies to OP... Just noticed his 7,8,9 at the bottom. I see we agree.

Couldn't play in today's NBA. He's almost 80.***

May 30, 2018, 5:58 PM

Replies: 74
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic