Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
4.0+ GPAs & poor SAT/ACTs a result of grade inflation in HS
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

4.0+ GPAs & poor SAT/ACTs a result of grade inflation in HS

Feb 13, 2018, 11:59 AM

Those 4.0 GPAs are becoming the equivalent of participation trophies. How can all of these 4.0 students be "poor test takers"?

Sorry, but these high school teachers and administrators are doing a disservice to your kids by giving out all those As. Unfortunately, it's a result of the misguided "No Child Left Behind" nonsense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 4.0+ GPAs & poor SAT/ACTs a result of grade inflation in HS

Feb 13, 2018, 12:02 PM

Yep. Pretty much high school classes are heavily weighted with homework scores which most people can take the time to do well and in some cases collaborate with other classmates. Whereas for taking the SAT and ACT you're under time restraint and pressure.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had a tough history teacher in HS that only gave tests...

Feb 13, 2018, 12:07 PM

and no homework. His tests were brutal.

His reasoning was that it was preparation for college where you couldn't count on homework grades to bring up a bad test score.

Man was he right.

Feb 13, 2018, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: 4.0+ GPAs & poor SAT/ACTs a result of grade inflation in HS ]

Most homework is not even graded. "A" for completing it. And the word completing should be taken very lightly

Feb 13, 2018, 1:02 PM

Yep, spot on

Feb 13, 2018, 1:17 PM

That could be true, however I had great grades and a really not great SAT score. I was accepted to Clemson in 1990 and graduated in 1994 with a 3.4 GPA (accounting degree). I think it did pretty well.

There are students who just don’t test as well as others but who are smart and driven individuals.

Agreed - work ethic is a form of intelligence

Feb 13, 2018, 3:15 PM

That doesn't get factored into 'aptitude' tests.

Feb 13, 2018, 1:19 PM

Absolutely but try telling the helicopter parents who think college admissions is a merit badge for their goodness as parents

No $ left behind.

Feb 13, 2018, 1:22 PM

It's a natural progression from schools being big business. Students = dollars. More student = more dollars. While some teachers and administrators care about children some don't but they all want paid.

We keep kids in schools who don't want to learn, can't learn or are just too lazy to study and learn. When we keep those kids in classes with kids who want to learn we have this delusion that when a kid fails the teacher has failed and we reward schools/teachers who show success using that as a measure.

We dumb down regular testing to prove our schools and teachers are successful. Some of our kids can walk across the stage after their senior year and grab that diploma which they can barely read.

WTPH is a high school diploma worth when we hand them to the functionally illiterate? WTPH is an 'A,' when a 'C,' is rewarded to illiterate student?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We dumb down regular testing to prove our

Feb 13, 2018, 1:43 PM

our schools and teachers are successful."

No, they accept the failures and come up with new training/rubrics to "help" the teachers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Sounds about right. SC dropped the grade scale

Feb 13, 2018, 1:42 PM

from a 93 being an A to a 90 (10 point scale).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

You have to look at the classes....

Feb 13, 2018, 3:13 PM

Are the classes college prep, honors, or AP level courses.

Racking-up a bunch of A's in college prep level classes will boost your GPA, but won't prepare you for for the SAT/ACT or admission to Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Even when I graduated HS in mid 90s

Feb 13, 2018, 4:41 PM

a 4.0 wasn't that great. It meant you did well in mid-level difficulty classes. The CP classes, an A was 4.0, Adv. 4.5, and AP was a 5.0

I think the valedictorian had a 4.7 something GPA - not the smartest but a tremendously hard worker whose life goal at that point was to be valedictorian. If you didn't have around a 4.5 you weren't graduating in the top 10%. Even back then I remember some classmates with straight A's in college prep classes that didn't get into Clemson. Of course I don't think I would get into Clemson today with some of the current requirements and admission pool to choose from.

I would much prefer someone who is willing to take AP or Adv level classes and get a B vs someone not willing to put themselves out there in the first place.

4.0 doesn't sound like it means much anymore.

Feb 13, 2018, 4:20 PM

When I was in HS a 4.0 was the max one could get. A 4.0 now sounds like the new just over 3.0.

And that's coupled with SAT deflation...

Feb 13, 2018, 6:38 PM

https://nypost.com/2014/03/11/college-board-has-made-sat-even-easier-again/

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic