Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
3 yrs, 3 QB's, 3 injuries taking them out of the game***
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

3 yrs, 3 QB's, 3 injuries taking them out of the game***

Sep 30, 2018, 4:56 PM

Mere coincidence?? DeShaun took a helmet to the shoulder after a throw from a full speed hit after the ball is gone, Kelley was picked up off his feet and body slammed on the concrete, and Trevor takes a shoulder to the head on the way down which the tackler could have pulled off.

It definitely makes one question the intent of Syracuse's strategy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 3 yrs, 3 QB's, 3 injuries taking them out of the game***

Sep 30, 2018, 5:04 PM

A lot of irony in the injuries! Disappointed in the cheap shots they’ve taken. Karma will catch up with them soon though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 5:21 PM

Ya think it is a coincidence that our QB got knocked out 3 yrs. in a row?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 5:40 PM

Don't know if they were intentionally trying to hurt our guys. TL could have run out of bounds or slid. And how about that sack at the end by XT? Dungey could have been killed on that play.

Sep 30, 2018, 8:07 PM [ in reply to Re: 3 yrs, 3 QB's, 3 injuries taking them out of the game*** ]

No.

Sep 30, 2018, 5:51 PM

That's ridiculous about talk about Syracuse being taught to hurt QB's, last year Bryant was scrambling out of the pocket was grabbed and spun down, don't know what concrete you are talking about but it was a legitimate play and nothing dirty about it, in fact I went back and looked at it and it happened so quick there is no way there was any bad intent on the tackle unlike when Boulware picked up Dante Strickland and body slammed him. Bryant was running up the middle and was grabbed from the side and taken down. When plays happen so quick you talk about pulling up, it not so easy Foster avoided a blocker and then hit a stumbling Lawrence. How does he know he won't regain his balance spin and pickup a first down. Football is a tough game and hits happen, there was no ill intent on Fosters part, he just held his ground and turned and hit Lawrence with his shoulder. Was there ill intent when Clemson know Dungey out of the game in 2016 with a huge hit to the head? Or was there just intent to hit the runner and make a tackle. With the speed, elusiveness and strength of players today on both sides of the ball hits happen and it happens to quick most times to think about hurting a player.

Lawrence had already avoided several tackle attempts on the play. Just because a player gets hit and gets hurt doesn't mean there is any intentional intent. It hard enough most times trying to bring guys on the move down to think they are trying to hurt someone.

Sep 30, 2018, 6:57 PM

TL had stepped out of bounds. No need for the defender to square up and throw the forearm to TL’s head. The part that ticked me off the most was #14 dancing and celebrating while TL was on the ground. Classless at best.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 7:36 PM

Didn't see the dancing around, remember it was a 3rd down stop for the defense so celebrating could have been for forcing the punt, any celebration for an injury is not acceptable. However I've seen too many posters claiming dirty play by SU. When teams are playing hard there will be tough hits and some injuries, we know that all to well, we've lost Dungey 2 different years to head hits, one at Clemson 2 years ago. Again the defender can't assume the player stepped out of bounds, especially when there was no whistle till after the tackle. Foster seemed to even let up a bit and was turning to absorb the hit. He didn't launch himself at TL and took the hit with his shoulder unfortunately as TL was going down, you can see he turned his body slightly, if you let up to much and the runner stays up he could have had his knees taken out, he braced himself for a hit and unfortunately TL came into the defender in a bad position.

Hope he is ok, looks like he has a bright future, for a big kid he showed some elusiveness avoiding a couple of SU defenders which is another reason its tough to let up when rushing up avoiding a block and trying to make a tackle. Brice wasn't asked to do to much but made some nice plays and will only get better with your running game and D if he has to continue for any length of time.

Goodluck the rest of the way, if anyone is going to sit atop the ACC other than SU I would rather it be Clemson. Our hope is to take the strides in improvement and keep getting better so that we can be a threat to anyone and become another top ACC team which would help the ACC perception.

Sep 30, 2018, 7:53 PM [ in reply to Re: 3 yrs, 3 QB's, 3 injuries taking them out of the game*** ]

How could the defender know he stepped out of bounds when even he refs nor Lawrence knew at the time? Lawrence was still trying to run, there was no whistle, and they had to review the play to determine he stepped out earlier. Honestly, these posts make our fan base look whiny and naive.

Sep 30, 2018, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Re: 3 yrs, 3 QB's, 3 injuries taking them out of the game*** ]

Concrete=artificial turf

Bryant was picked up and was given a spinning slam which slammed his head into the turf

Has any other team managed this on our QB's?

Trevor was almost horizontal to the ground when he was hit.

I believe they push the rules to the limit> Many teams would have been penalized

NCAA Rule on targeting:

Football referees will now stop games to immediately review when players are penalized and face ejection for targeting defenseless opponents above the shoulders or using the crown of the helmet to contact an opponent. This new review process will only impact games that have instant replay capability.
He was going to the ground and defenseless. Where did he get hit-in the head--with no effort to pull off.

Hence injury x 3 raises suspicion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 8:07 PM

Go look at the replay of the Bryant play, the DT grabbed him from the side/back as he was running by and as the defender was going down spun him down, there was no malicious intent whatsoever. What Boulware did to Strickland picking him up and slamming him down now that was a body slam. What your DB did to Dungey at the end of the game was far worse of a hit, but also legal.

Others, might have been one of your posters listed the defenseless player rules and this case wasn't one of them. Even many of your posters don't think it was a penalty. Again this conspiracy theory of trying to intentionally hurt players is ridiculous. Do I feel bad when a player, any player has a head injury, absolutely we've had several players recently get disqualified medically because of concussions. 2 of Dungey's years have been ended because of head hits, one at your place in 2016 with a head hit by a defender.

Interesting about the artificial turf comment. When we had the old carpet people complained that it was hard as concrete, but since we have had Field Turf we haven't heard that complaint, in fact there were studies that showed that Field Turf systems had fewer concussions than grass.

Additionally, you are a Syracuse fan which clouds your

Sep 30, 2018, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Re: 3 yrs, 3 QB's, 3 injuries taking them out of the game*** ]

credibility.

Previous post 2013

Re: Arrogant? I'm responding to statements that state the heat.
Posted: Oct 2, 2013 9:01 PM

That's my fear that the game will get out of hand with your talent, we certainly aren't banking on the cramping being an issue, and even if it was depending on the score it may not matter anyways. We need to count on playing real good football just to stay in the game I'm afraid. But our hope is that we are trending up and will be able to be a competitive member of the ACC and represent well OOC.

Sep 30, 2018, 9:00 PM [ in reply to Re: 3 yrs, 3 QB's, 3 injuries taking them out of the game*** ]

Dirty teams like Cuse can't beat us straight up so they head hunt. I respect Pitt because they came in and won that game from great film study and perfect execution.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 6:59 PM

2 times is coincidence. 3 is enemy action. They are being coached to do this, so stop singing Dino Thuggers' praises.
TIA in advance.

There is no shortage of

Sep 30, 2018, 7:37 PM

Absurd threads today. This is one.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 7:39 PM

Although Kelly was already hurt and most likely shouldn’t have been in the game. You could be on to something though

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

It also calls into question the philosophy behind running the QB.

Sep 30, 2018, 7:42 PM

I realize that Trevor got hurt scrambling on a designed pass play - one where he had open receivers and should’ve thrown instead of run. But we have gotten our last few starting QBs hurt on runs. Not only do I think we need to mostly stop running the QB, but coach them to be extra careful if scrambling as well.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I couldn't agree more. The argument is false.

Sep 30, 2018, 8:19 PM

"It loosens up the secondary because they have to defend against the QB run"

First: when have we ever been a deadly read option team? Never. It works for like Auburn, great. We just can't seem to do it on a high level.

Second: If you have a QB like Lawrence, it is totally unnecessary for him to be a running threat. He can scramble to show off his speed if need be (but like you said, be smarter about it.)

We have great runningbacks and a QB who can hit any pass on the field. That is the threat. That is what loosens up the defense. Give us a healthy mixture of passes and quick-hitting running plays with as few lateral, slow-developing plays as possible, and the defense will never be able to stop it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It also calls into question the philosophy behind running the QB.

Sep 30, 2018, 8:55 PM [ in reply to It also calls into question the philosophy behind running the QB. ]

Agree-I cringe every time I see it as it is like hanging red meat in front of a pack of wolves (dont get excited NC State)

Sep 30, 2018, 7:45 PM

They also tried to take out Travis with that cheap shot after they ripped off his helmet as well.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 8:45 PM

I took the chance to review yesterday's hit. The play took over seven seconds. The beginning is at 5:09 of the second quarter. It was slow developing. TL went to the pocket and looked downfield. It appeared to me from the screen that there were guys open, Renfrow on the right, apparently a tight end on the left, maybe Garrett Williams, and later Ettiene over the middle underneath. Don't know what TL saw that told him neither were suitable or whether he saw a better target deep. For whatever reason, TL did not throw and 55 of Syracuse flushed him left to the boundary. He pretty clearly went out of bounds as a result of 55's chase early on. There were two or three frames where he pretty clearly had one or the other foot out of bounds. At that point the defender who hit him was still 8-10 yards away.

The real scandal may be that there was no whistle a second or two before the hit. The two views show two different stories. The view from basically the south stands makes it look like it was not that much of a deal. The view from basically the west stands shows it as a vicious hit, with the pads from the defender getting awfully near TL's head. I have certainly seen Clemson guys penalized for targeting for similar stuff and for much less, like Tony Stewart's little bump of Dylan in the 2014 dirtpecker game, a total travesty, given that a chicken intentionally targeted DW's head on the touchdown after he had already really scored the play before. I am all for the targeting call. Players and/or coaches have trended far more to requiring or allowing head shots in the last few years, NFL included, and that is really bad. But if it is called it should be consistent and called for anything close to targeting so that players will not be tempted. Instead it is called inconsistently.

I told my IPTAY partner before the game that given out situation a team that tends to be a little dirty, say Syracuse or Dorian's woofies, might say "okay, we can knock out one quarterback and then beat Clemson." It came to pass. I can't say it was entirely intentional, but it could have been avoided. TL needs to get down. His excessive scrambing can come to no good as thin as we are now.

Sep 30, 2018, 9:02 PM

Dirty teams like Cuse can't beat us straight up so they head hunt. I respect Pitt because they came in and won that game from great film study and perfect execution.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic