Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Next year's DEs will be more talented than this past year's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Next year's DEs will be more talented than this past year's

Jan 15, 2019, 5:38 PM

I'm not gonna say they will be better, but they will be more talented. Ferrell was a technician who had a non-stop motor and was a tireless worker. He has long arms, but isn't overly strong or fast. Bryant is a big bodied, high effort guy who got a lot of his sacks 5 and 6 seconds after QB dropped back because he never quit. I wouldn't call him an elite level athlete either though. We all know about the talent of XT and even KJ Henry. Mascoll is a stud that nobody really knows about yet and I'd argue that Justin Foster has more talent than both Ferrell and Bryant (again, he's not better, but he is a more physically gifted player IMO).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Next year's DEs will be more talented than this past year's

Jan 15, 2019, 5:55 PM

I loved watching Ferrell's long arms reach out and snare Tua on that 4th down run.

When you roll out your QB to the short side of the field, you've got to overload the end in order to turn the corner. They failed to seal the end (#99), and numerous other guys were there to make the play if he didn't.

Our defense made some awesome plays down the stretch.

Jan 15, 2019, 6:10 PM

From a pass rush ability yes, they both have a quick first step and tremendous explosiveness off the line. My biggest concern or question mark is will they be able to hold the edge in run support. Now they will have another year in the weight room so that should help. But don't forget 99 and 7 were two grown men out there. O lines had trouble moving them of there spots.

Jan 15, 2019, 6:14 PM

XT could be an All-American next season and carry the DL.

Jan 15, 2019, 6:18 PM

Would be cool if Trevor and XT went 1,2 in the draft

I will buy that when I see it, which hopefully will happen

Jan 15, 2019, 6:19 PM

at some point next season. They may have more athletic talent, but Clelin and Austin made plays. And speaking of athletic ability, Austin's interception at VaTech last year was a thing of beauty. The rest of the D and the offense are going to have to carry us early I think.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2019, 6:25 PM

CUEngGrad93 What your saying makes sense as both XT and KJH were both 5 star guys. I think(could be wrong, if so lmk) Ferrell and Bryant were 4 star guys. The upside to both KJH and XT is higher down the road. You put it well; they are not better players at this point. They both have a higher ceiling I think though once they figure out a majority of what they need to learn to be elite.

I admit; I have to go back and look at Mascoll video. Can't really speak on him. Justin Foster at the weight he is carrying(former LB in HS) could be a handful on the edge too! I like his weight not sure about his speed as it relates to if he is a LB or a DE( anyone who knows?).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure its accurate but Tigernet says Foster runs a 4.5/40

Jan 15, 2019, 6:33 PM

I think I've seen 4.6/40 in most other places though. Impressive for a guy listed at 260 lbs.

https://www.tigernet.com/player/Justin-Foster-427

Re: Not sure its accurate but Tigernet says Foster runs a 4.5/40

Jan 15, 2019, 6:38 PM

CUEngGrad93 Thanks! That's fast man! That's fast for "some WR's" who are good route runners. For a DE/LB that's outstanding - heard where they plan on playing him yet? I've seen him listed at both LB and DE.

Jan 15, 2019, 6:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Next year's DEs will be more talented than this past year's ]

Good post. Well said. Without Big Dex it showed in run support but we did play two great olines in the playoffs. ATm probably comes out running too.

Impossible to replace the line but will we still be able to dominate and stop the run? Will it be more like 2015 defense when we had games where we gave up some points? Just going to be more like bama was this year on D.

Hard to get used to not seeing what we witnessed the last two years. Wow, what a D.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2019, 6:32 PM

XT seems like more of a Vic Beasley type except faster. He definitely needs some weight added to his frame to set the edge.

Jan 15, 2019, 6:42 PM

That was the first person he reminded of me too. I think he came in bigger than Beasley though I may be wrong.I do believe he will add some more weight this off season but idk how much. I think at least by the time he leaves for the NFL he will be around 280 plus.

Jan 15, 2019, 9:07 PM

If he can get to 280 HE may win the Heisman!

Jan 15, 2019, 6:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Next year's DEs will be more talented than this past year's ]

I agree with everything said about XT but not so sure about Foster. I live in near where he went to high school so I would love to see Foster have a monster year. I remember seeing him get blown off the ball in couple of games and it seem like he got less playing time after this happened to him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2019, 11:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Next year's DEs will be more talented than this past year's ]

XT is definitely fast like Beasley, but he is about 260. Vic was 240ish around his senior year.

#3 will end up the best DE we have ever had***

Jan 15, 2019, 6:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: #3 will end up the best DE we have ever had***

Jan 15, 2019, 6:46 PM

Easy to forget he was a true freshman last year... I think I remember seeing it posted on here before that typically the biggest jump is freshman to sophomore.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2019, 6:54 PM [ in reply to #3 will end up the best DE we have ever had*** ]

I hope so, but we have had some good ones. But if that is his mind set, we as fans are in for another great year.

Going from Beasley and Branch to Lawson and Dodd to Ferrell and Braynt to Foster/Henry/Kelly and Thomas. Has shown Venables ability to bring in great DE's

Jan 15, 2019, 7:05 PM

Can't forget Bowers! Daquan Bowers #1 pick in the NFL draft played DE. You still think he will leave as the best DE we ever had?

That's a high water mark! I mean, as a fan, that would be great if it's true!

Jan 15, 2019, 7:09 PM

Bowers was a beast as well as Adams.

Jan 15, 2019, 7:14 PM

Exactly - XT is listed as 6'3. Good for a DE; but not the length they look for at the next level. So, even if he is productive, will he be drafted as high as Bowers? Probably not!
The greatest DE would all depend on criteria. Most sacks? Most QB hurries? Most TFL? I think everyone had better keep and eye on KJH as well for all time great Tigers DE too! He is going to be beastly!

Jan 15, 2019, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Re: #3 will end up the best DE we have ever had*** ]

Bowers was number one in the second round.

Jan 15, 2019, 10:34 PM

RunDaboRun Yep! You are correct! Bowers was the #1 player coming out of HS; not college.

Gaines Adams(RIP) was however drafted in the 1st round at #4.

If XT can raise his game to heights like that with the talent we have around him; opposing offenses have zero room for error! And had better bring it 100% if they are going to have a chance!

I think you’re right given impact he had, but could have had even more

Jan 15, 2019, 7:05 PM [ in reply to #3 will end up the best DE we have ever had*** ]

Except we had two amazing des already there. I do wonder what his goal size etc is. How much weight should he gain over the offseason? You certainly don’t want to lose that first step burst.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More talented? Maybe if you only go by

Jan 15, 2019, 6:46 PM

recruiting stars.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2019, 8:09 PM

Foster looked good this year (as did XT). It will be interesting to see how Henry looks this Spring. Rudolph gives us good depth. I am not worried about DE.

Jan 15, 2019, 8:55 PM

I agree. We have guys with NFL potential @ DE. And their backups have a shot as well! I worry a bit about DL. Not as much as I was prior to being reminded about Xavier Kelly. Tyler Davis and Tayquon Johnson have a shot at seeing significant playing time early! But, I have a feeling your starters will be Nyles Pinckney(6'1 300) and Jordan Williams(6'5 306). Not the same "beef" of a 315 and 340 LB. stone mountain of a football player; but sturdy! Low pads win the day anyway! We get a lot lighter in the pants after that and we need to keep those LB's clean so they can make plays!

Eat up fellas, LOL! And work out of course(hehe. . . coach B S & C coach is just rolling his eyes,LOL)!

Clelin is only the 2nd back-to-back AP 1st-team AA in CU history

Jan 15, 2019, 9:14 PM

and won the Hendricks this year for best DE in the nation..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2019, 9:17 PM

more talented than Clelin, how lucky are we?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2019, 9:24 PM

Wait, a football reply?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been ducking and avoiding them.

Jan 15, 2019, 9:26 PM

Crazy how people want to interject their views in something we are supposed to all be here to agree on. "OUR TIGERS"! Go Tigers!

Jan 15, 2019, 10:12 PM

I'm not gonna say they will be better, but they will be more talented. Ferrell was a technician who had a non-stop motor and was a tireless worker. He has long arms, but isn't overly strong or fast. Bryant is a big bodied, high effort guy who got a lot of his sacks 5 and 6 seconds after QB dropped back because he never quit. I wouldn't call him an elite level athlete either though. We all know about the talent of XT and even KJ Henry. Mascoll is a stud that nobody really knows about yet and I'd argue that Justin Foster has more talent than both Ferrell and Bryant (again, he's not better, but he is a more physically gifted player IMO).

Ferrell was more athletic than Foster. Only reason he wasn’t a top-75 prospect was bc he didn’t play senior year due to an ACL.

Somehow, someway for the last...

Jan 15, 2019, 10:15 PM

six years we've gotten better on defense year after year. I'm not sure if Bama matched that over all those years but according to ESPiN they've been the best every year. This year they blinked.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic