Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: WATCH: 2015 Clemson Football Preview
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

FB Update: WATCH: 2015 Clemson Football Preview

Jul 9, 2015, 8:09 AM

WATCH: 2015 Clemson Football Preview

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: WATCH: 2015 Clemson Football Preview

Jul 9, 2015, 9:14 AM

Not really sure why this offends me so much. I will go on record as saying despite some concerns at a few positions I believe we can realistically win 11-12 games. I will always love my Tigers but I'll be disappointed with another season where we lose national high profile games (ie: FSU 2013/2014 and Georgia 2014) and yet again become the brunt of all of CFB pundants that will beat the "Clemsoning" thing to death! At some point, If we are going to be an elite program, we hot to win those high profile regular season games( Yes, I am aware of our post season wins against LSU, OSU and OU, all great wins but not when it really matters like during the season). Just my opinion....

I'm not sure why that offends you at all.

Jul 9, 2015, 9:23 AM

In my opinion, that was a very accurate and even somewhat optimistic preview. With the losses on D, 10 wins would be a very successful season setting 2016 up nicely.

I think some need to take off their orange glasses and realize that you don't lose what Clemson lost on the defense in addition, not to mention the OL, without taking a step back. Vegas sees it, and has the over/under on wins at 8.5.

I'm concerned that some on here are setting themselves up for disappointment this year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Win @ UL and everything sets up nice.... Time to gel...***

Jul 9, 2015, 9:34 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not sure why that offends you at all.

Jul 9, 2015, 9:54 AM [ in reply to I'm not sure why that offends you at all. ]

That's why I asked the question why it offended me, maybe it is the orange glasses, who knows? I am of the belief that we are "on the clock" and have a small window for a National Championship run as I am afraid Watson my head off for the pros as early as the end of this season. Sure there have been some losses at key spots but that is what makes an elite program, next man up. Hope everyone is wrong and we can prove them so.

First - he can't leave after this season for the NFL

Jul 9, 2015, 9:57 AM

...if he does, it's because he won the Heisman and lead his team to the championship by such a margin the rest of the known Universe agrees to just let him go rather than have him embarrass everyone again in 2016.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

"Watson may head off to pros at the end of season" <--What?!

Jul 9, 2015, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm not sure why that offends you at all. ]

You do realize that he's only a rising sophomore, right? I cannot wrap my head around half the stuff you wrote, especially downplaying the wins over LSU, OhSt, and OU.

Re: I'm not sure why that offends you at all.

Jul 22, 2015, 12:23 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm not sure why that offends you at all. ]

If DW4 heads off to the NFL after this season, He will be the first true sophomore that I've known to be allowed to enter the NFL draft. We have him this and next season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

do you think we get DW back in 2016?***

Jul 9, 2015, 12:27 PM [ in reply to I'm not sure why that offends you at all. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unless he takes a job as a talking head at ESPN,

Jul 9, 2015, 1:03 PM

then I think so.

Can't leave for the NFL until you are 3 years out of high school.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The chicken smell is strong w/ this one.***

Jul 9, 2015, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: WATCH: 2015 Clemson Football Preview ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: The chicken smell is strong w/ this one.***

Jul 9, 2015, 10:12 AM

Dear God, can't anyone engage in a conversation about Clemson and not be called a coot? I won't even try to prove my Worthiness as a Tiger, you believe what you want to believe. Evidently, I am wrong about Watson's ability to enter the NFL draft after this season, my bad. If I can't post something that disagrees with a preseason prediction about Clemson's season without getting called a coot maybe all the "sensitivity" in society today regarding almost anything has now invaded a Clemson sports forum. Seriously, if we can't have a decent discussion without somebody yelling "coot" why even try. "I smell chicken..." What an idiotic, asinine statement!

U tell 'em coot!

Jul 9, 2015, 12:30 PM

Jk... ??

Jul 9, 2015, 8:27 PM [ in reply to Re: The chicken smell is strong w/ this one.*** ]

> Dear God, can't anyone engage in a conversation about
> Clemson and not be called a coot? I won't even try to
> prove my Worthiness as a Tiger, you believe what you
> want to believe. Evidently, I am wrong about Watson's
> ability to enter the NFL draft after this season, my
> bad. If I can't post something that disagrees with a
> preseason prediction about Clemson's season without
> getting called a coot maybe all the "sensitivity" in
> society today regarding almost anything has now
> invaded a Clemson sports forum. Seriously, if we
> can't have a decent discussion without somebody
> yelling "coot" why even try. "I smell chicken..."
> What an idiotic, asinine statement!

Yeah, I have to agree with you. Question in the least and some idiot on here thorws out coot or chicken. I didn't find your post unreasonable at all. The one part of the vids prognosticator that bothered me as well was the idea that we may be good enough for another 10 win season.
The Hail with that....Best is the Standard, not 10 wins is the standard. It's like Dabo said, at some point "we at the threshold of greatness, at some point you just have to step through that door". He's dead right. Is 10 wins a "success"....well sort of, I mean it beats getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick, but it's not the NC and that's what the standard is.

I've been a Clemson fan since before most on this board were born, so go ahead and throw out the coot and chicken crap. Your 12...it's what you do.

Go Tigers!

Jul 22, 2015, 12:27 AM [ in reply to Re: The chicken smell is strong w/ this one.*** ]

Coot ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"3 starters returning on D" is a bit misleading...

Jul 9, 2015, 11:03 AM

On paper:
Mack
Kearse
Wiggins

The story:
C. Watkins
Reader

Watkins was a starter before his accident. Still had yet to completely hit his full stride. Now has it back.
Reader was equal in talent to Josh and DWilliams

Lawson. No explaination.

Boulware and Steward were pretty much 1a and 1a.

Tank. Saw plenty of meaningful snaps. Started the UGA game and did great.

Jadar Johnson is a guy who had our coaches legitimately wrestling over the idea of starting him in place of Kearse going into last season. Was on the field for a ton of meaningful snaps.

Mack Kearse Jadar Tank
Wiggins Goodson Boulware
Shaq Reader Watkins _______? (Dodd4now)

Plenty of movable parts here, but that's not a starting lineup many teams in the country will be able to exploit.

Expect to see Huggins and Wilkins on the field this year. Hopefully pagano puts it together this year while getting reps with the 1s and 2s.

Coaches like Jeff Gibson and TJ Green at both S positions. Mark Fields can make an impact. Also like Ryan Carter at DB -run stopping, physical CB who can cover.

Looking for Yeargin 3 to be our lightning quick pass rusher. Can't wait to see what the 2 highly touted incoming DEs can bring to the party.

Kendall Joseph is quoted by venables as being a guy he can trust to go out and run the D at Mike. O'Daniel coming on strong. Roger has impressed at LB, too.

Moral of the Story? We're not really hurting for depth either.

Re: "3 starters returning on D" is a bit misleading...

Jul 9, 2015, 11:33 AM

I think, in spite of losing some fantastic talent, we will be a better team, overall. This is due to better offensive performance. Our D will still be salty, but it won't have to win the games by itself. I see better OL performance and our skill positions are very good, too. I like where we are right now. Sure, I wish we hadn't lost our veteran LT, but I expect we will be just fine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2015, 11:34 AM

PLEASE, DO NOT MAKE PERFECT SENSE AND BRING LOGIC TO THIS BOARD.

Jul 10, 2015, 11:58 PM

Agreed! There is no place for logic. Orange tinted glasses only are allowed! (and mine are more orange than most)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: WATCH: 2015 Clemson Football Preview

Jul 9, 2015, 12:11 PM

These predictions come down to experience questions. They don't know the experience of the defensive side of the ball. They see that we are building on what was a successful 2014 offensive campaign but they are curious to whether we hit a wall with the defense. What they don't get it that the brunt of Defense II was young with the exceptions of Steward, J. Watson, and Williams. The rest of that defense was young and will grow more in 2015. I saw someone say 11-12 wins. I see one possible loss and it is the trap game versus Louisville. And that's a stretch seeing that they don't have much defense....

The D is NOT the concern!

Jul 9, 2015, 12:33 PM

Concern lies with:

A) Watson staying healthy
B) o-line performance and depth (which has direct impact on (A)
C) Special teams performance (Lakip situation throws in more uncertainty)

The D will be top 5 ... Mark my words!

Re: The D is NOT the concern!

Jul 9, 2015, 1:13 PM

Im appalled at the fact that when everyone talks about our season its the dreaded IF DW4 stays healthy. Why do people think he is so fragile? Yes he got hurt last season, but he was a true freshman. Im sure that last year he wasnt as strong as he will be this year with a full year of weight training and such. A torn ACL isnt what it used to be. Used to if you had tore your ACL you could stick a fork in you, but with advances in medicine these days he will be as good as new. People forget that Tajh Boyd tore his in HS and had pretty good luck with staying healthy, and we used him a TON in the running game. I dont ever remember anyone saying the season will be good if Tajh can stay healthy. Dont worry about Watson being healthy, He will be back and better than before.

i hope you are correct but past is a predictor of future so

Jul 9, 2015, 8:33 PM

We will have to wait and see. The O-line questions just add to this concern.

Re: i hope you are correct but past is a predictor of future so

Jul 11, 2015, 5:50 PM

Well, if past is predictor of future, then it strengthens his statement. Past is the LCL sprain/ACL tear happened in the same knee that was never properly repaired from an injury in HS. Now that it has been properly repaired and he has had a very strong and proper rehab (and FYI, reports are already out about him going through drills at Elite 11 without a brace on his knee), he should be better suited to not re-injure the same way as prior (since this time, it was treated correct). So, it's likely he'll be and should stay healthy in that injury's regard.

The hand getting caught in a helmet injury against Louisville is a fluke injury...rarely happens and truth be told, if it had been the non-throwing hand, he'd have never missed any time...was just a bad break he was pushing off the helmet in the front with this throwing hand and a finger got caught in the mask as they fell.

Collarbone injury in 2014's Spring is actually one of the most common fractures in all sports. I broke mine as an 8 yr old kid. I can still shoulder into things with no worries of re-breaking it.
http://www.massgeneral.org/ortho/services/sports/rehab/Clavicle_Fracture_Protocol_Non_surgical.pdf

So there's really no reason to worry about him being "fragile". He's had an entire year of strength and conditioning, along with good rehab, so he should be much more ready to take pounding and avoid injury this year than he was last year.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic