Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
we are getting top rated skill positions filled but......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

we are getting top rated skill positions filled but......

Jul 10, 2012, 12:43 PM

how about top rated OL players...your thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we are getting top rated skill positions filled but......

Jul 10, 2012, 12:47 PM

How many times must this be addressed? We are going after Crowder and Droogsma. We already have Morris and a strong group of young OL guys on campus. This was not a strong OL year and if we don't land one of the other two we will hold the scollies for next year.

null

Thank you. Put that baby to rest. +1.***

Jul 10, 2012, 12:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's ignore the problem

Jul 10, 2012, 1:18 PM

maybe it'll go away :/

Maybe you prefer to go out in that summer heat and work out

Jul 10, 2012, 1:38 PM

with them. Dalton is the only OL we lose this season and he was All-ACC as a junior. The problem is being addressed. It just takes more time for OLs. Last year was the first in an entirely new offense. This year we should see the results and much better depth.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe you prefer to go out in that summer heat and work out

Jul 10, 2012, 4:46 PM

You still have to bring in 3-4 OL per year at minimum or face depth issues in the future. You need the bodies because a lot of OL don't work out, get injured, etc.

My thoughts are......

Jul 10, 2012, 12:48 PM

...that T-Net obsesses about this too much. We all know that games are won and lost in the trenches, no need to keep saying it. We all know what happened in 2008 and the problems we've had with OL play, no need to keep rehashing it. We all know that linemen are built through a combination of God-given talent, strength training, and coaching.

You know what? I think our coaching staff understands all of this too...

Re: My thoughts are......

Jul 10, 2012, 12:52 PM

excuse whaa for asking.....you must have got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. both of you!

3 month old sauerKraut...***

Jul 10, 2012, 12:55 PM

Re: 3 month old sauerKraut...***

Jul 10, 2012, 12:56 PM

What your take on the managers then.....:)

I think our managers (Clemson coaching staff) are at least

Jul 10, 2012, 1:05 PM

a Top 10 recruiting staff nationally and considering the size of the Clemson student body, probably as successful as any in the country.

P.S. ... and it's only going to get better.

Our OL problems are MUCH older than 3 months.***

Jul 10, 2012, 1:09 PM [ in reply to 3 month old sauerKraut...*** ]

Granted, but worrying about how many OLs we take in the 2013

Jul 10, 2012, 1:20 PM

class is getting old. We only lose *1* OL this year and have been signing a slew of 4* over the last few years. I assume you understand it takes time to develop OLs. There was a a gap in recruiting, primarily in 2009. That situation has been rectified and we have a number of young and developing OLs with several years of eligibility left. Has it been a problem in the past. Probably. Is it a problem for the future. Probably not. Wait till the season begins before you/ me/ anyone starts complaining.

Germans***

Jul 10, 2012, 1:00 PM

quit beating the dead horse***

Jul 10, 2012, 1:03 PM

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

When our OL is not our biggest concern entering a season

Jul 10, 2012, 1:10 PM

we will ALL stop beating this horse. Until then, this horse is beating us all!

Re: When our OL is not our biggest concern entering a season

Jul 10, 2012, 1:50 PM

sure agree.. until then this dead horse need to get beat!!
there is simply no reason that our O/L continues to be the WEAKEST POSITION on our team!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: quit beating the dead horse***

Jul 10, 2012, 1:30 PM [ in reply to quit beating the dead horse*** ]

U talking about the O/L?? when this unit performs up to standard then we will hush.... BUT, until we get a S & C program we will continue to talk about the poor performance of our O/L

I'm just saying that this same thing get's posted about 5

Jul 11, 2012, 2:37 AM

times a day it's almost getting as annoying as Big 12 post, I agree the OL is the big ? but #### talking about the same thing isn't going to help it, I have faith in coaches to take care of it

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jul 10, 2012, 1:15 PM

Until we have an OL that actually produces on the field, every thinking Clemson fan should be concerned. Yes, we are signing skill players who can help us win. Are we signing OL that can do the same. Can't tell yet.

Jul 10, 2012, 1:27 PM

this is HUGE NEED and has been for YEARS!!!and this seems to be the area that we recruit for the poorest by FAR.. if we can`t recruit them then we need to develop them but this goes to S & C which is AWFUL!!! neither will improve until the other improves!

It is the only place for the cheese and whine to go!***

Jul 10, 2012, 1:28 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

for those people

Jul 10, 2012, 1:31 PM

Who are tired of hearing it bc it is a dead horse, the truth is this is a legit issue. If people on this board want to claim clemson will be 14-0 then dont hide behind the fact there are still question marks on this team. It is possible yes but this is a fact some here choose to ignore.

Then address is at an issue with the current team and

Jul 10, 2012, 1:41 PM

not an issue with recruiting!!!!!!!!!!!!! The coaching staff is going after the best talent (skill position and lineman) in the country. We have the #1 center in the last recruiting cycle and currently after some of the best tackle and guard prospects.

Everyone knows that O line play is the biggest question mark going into August camp. The problem is that you Debbie Doubters are asking the wrong question. The better question is, which players on the current roster are going to step up on the O line this season and perform?

Re: Then address is at an issue with the current team and

Jul 10, 2012, 1:53 PM

agree that is a good question but,but,but... until our S & C program is improved we will still not get to where we should be!!

Have you seen the S & C program?

Jul 10, 2012, 2:00 PM

Have you even been in the new weight room? Both are impressive. Wait until you see the size on Nuk Hopkins and then tell me our S & C program doesn't work. Go back and look at Phillip Price when he came in as a freshman and then the way he looked last year (I know his HS coach from Dillon).

Blaming O line play on the S & C program is just ridiculous! C'mon man, you can certainly come up with something better than that can't you?

Re: Have you seen the S & C program?

Jul 10, 2012, 2:02 PM

I saw our O/L and D/L against Wofford, Wake, NCSU, and SoCar
seeing how they got whipped play after play was all I needed to see.. O/L play earlier was better but still not up to needs...

Re: Have you seen the S & C program?

Jul 10, 2012, 2:17 PM

Excent for Thompson, our DL was way undersized last year. That area will be vastly improved this year. Deshawn Williams will be bigger and stronger this year, he was a true freshman playing in there last year.

Having Shatley on the OL will make a big impact this year. The right side of our OL was terrible last year and has been for several years. Luckily McClain was just awful and was beaten on every play and well to be honest Walker would have been better off just falling down on every play and he would have been more effective.

We have OL talent on campus, just keep your shirt on, it will get better. Like the offense side of the ball was saying a year ago, help in on the way. People didn't believe it then but Sammy made them believers. The same will be said about the OL, maybe not this year but definately the next. This year's OL has a lot of work to do but they are working hard.

Jul 10, 2012, 1:37 PM

IMO - I think the OP is concerned about the OLine because we all know the coaches know it's still a problem, and nothing seems to change. Hold on - I may need to repeat that for the slow learners that got up on the wrong side of the bed - NOTHING SEEMS TO CHANGE!! When #### freezes over, and something changes with this, then we will stop beating the dead horse. Now where did I lay that horse-beating stick?

For me - I'm with the OP on this. I see too many skill position recruits and too few linemen in our news. Just saying.

Peace out. :)

I missed it. When did they start?***

Jul 10, 2012, 1:40 PM

Did you not read today's tnet front page article?????

Jul 10, 2012, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Re: we are getting top rated skill positions filled but...... ]

David Hood listed his top 5 wish list for the current recruiting cycle. Of the 5 he mentions 2 of them are O line prospects.

This is only the second full recruiting cycle under Chad Morris. He wants a different type of player from those we had in the past. I think you will see a huge difference next year after the current freshman class has time to put on size and learn how to play at the college level. This year will be a work in progress, but I don't think it will be any worse that last years O line play (and very well may be improved). We will be in good shape going forward though.

Also, the oline play last year certainly could have been expected to be better than it was, it also wasn't a total wreck. There were a lot of offensive school records broken last year. Also Morris has even pointed out that a good portion of the sacks last year were more to blame on Boyd's decision making than on the play of the oline.

I have been at football practices and seen these guys doing the old oklahoma drill and the PAW drills. Trust me, these guys hit and hit hard. I wouldn't want to line up in front of them (I am 6'2" and 240 lbs) and I am sure you wouldn't either.

Jul 10, 2012, 2:32 PM

We've gotten some good guys on the OL, but no real franchise guys. Freeman is pretty close to one though. Could be the best returning C in the nation this year, arguably. Thomas has a lot of upside. Need to have guys step up at the other OL positions though and recruit those spots hard. It would be nice to bring Crowder in.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic